WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hammock Question

I am strongly considering switching to a hammock for my backpacking needs. I hate sleeping on the ground. Short of combing the ground with a rake to eliminate the bumps that are always present, I simply cannot sleep comfortably on the ground. When I was younger it wasn't an issue. Not so at my age. In any event, I am looking at the Blackbird by Warbonnet. I stand 5'8" and change, and am wondering if there is any benefit to going with the xlc model at my height other than it has a removable bugnet? It's only $15 more, but I don't want to make a bad choice.
    zig-zag man

There is no such thing as free.

I'm 5'8" and have the XLC. Very comfortable. I recommend it.

Images

I am 5' 8" also.

I started with the WBBB and was very happy with it. Met my needs and was comfortable.

When I needed to replace it I went with the WBBB XLC. I love it, it is even more comfortable and it gives me a bit more room. I suppose when I need another hammock I will go with the XLC again, but you cannot go wrong either way.
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

I'm 6' and have owned or still do several hammocks, from ENO, Clark, Wildhorn and Warbonnet. I've been sleeping in my BBXLC for roughly 7 months and will say it's my go to system. I have back issues that prevents me from laying completely flat and these hammocks solved the problem. I now have the complete Warbonnet system, TQ,UQ, winter sock and Superfly tarp, my only regret is in buying a 2 layer hammock. Can't stand using a pad, however with the NX270 a pad is great. Haven't backpacked with the hammock yet but plan to soon, just hard to leave my tents behind. Old habits are hard to break!

I'm 5'9 and I have the XLC. My son has a 10' hammock and I've tried it, but the 11' is so much more comfortable even at 5'9. The calf-ridge is almost non-existent in the XLC. I say non-existent cause I get a little calf ridge if I'm tired and in a hurry and don't pay a lot of attention to the setup.
    I also have the double layer. I don't use a pad, but I still went with the double layer. My first hammock was a single-layer and the mosquitos bit me numerous times through the bottom single layer. I could have coated it with the permetherin, but just went with the double-layer. In real cold weather, I can always put tomorrow's clothes in between the two layers so they will be a little pre-heated.

Never thought of that HillBilly, thanks for those clothes tip

Images

To the Double Layer vs Single Layer thing, I started with a double layer BB, went to the single BB XLC. Happy I did, I ended up with a bigger hammock that weighed about the same as the one before. I also went with WB's 'Wooki' Underquilt. Totally fuss free, and it covers the whole bottom so not worries about the mosquitos. Single layer and the Wooki is a great combination.
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    To the Double Layer vs Single Layer thing, I started with a double layer BB, went to the single BB XLC. Happy I did, I ended up with a bigger hammock that weighed about the same as the one before. I also went with WB's 'Wooki' Underquilt. Totally fuss free, and it covers the whole bottom so not worries about the mosquitos. Single layer and the Wooki is a great combination.
    That's the combination I'm looking at with the WB Thunderfly tarp. I have a Marmot Sawtooth 15* bag that I'll sleep in rather than shelling out the bigger bucks for a topquilt. Should keep me warm.
    zig-zag man

I had an XLC and sold it because of calf ridge pressure. I love the shelf on warbonnet hammocks but I have yet to find one I'm comfortable in.

Quote Originally Posted by ggreaves View Post
    I had an XLC and sold it because of calf ridge pressure. I love the shelf on warbonnet hammocks but I have yet to find one I'm comfortable in.
    As long as you don’t mind the weight, a Ridgerunner is the way to go. Without a doubt, the most comfortable hammock in my collection. You can reduce the weight by using trekking poles instead of the standard poles from Warbonnet, but the monopod poles suck, so choose your poison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'd love to try one of these (if I could afford it - 13oz and not bulky)

http://www.hammocktent.com/en/pages/products

Quote Originally Posted by ggreaves View Post
    I'd love to try one of these (if I could afford it - 13oz and not bulky)

http://www.hammocktent.com/en/pages/products
    That's a big investment for the hammock and tarp. I'd love to try one out though
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Zigzag, if you're interested I have one I might unload. I decided I prefer a non-integrated bugnet, although I liked everything else about the blackbird, and I loved the shelf. I have a regular 10' blackbird, double layer 1.1, perfect condition - only used for trying it out, never for a full trip.

I also have a blackbird I want to unload.....I have too much gear

Mine is the single layer 1.7. Used about 13 nights. I will include the suspension and aftermarket carabiners

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoadNotTaken View Post
    Zigzag, if you're interested I have one I might unload. I decided I prefer a non-integrated bugnet, although I liked everything else about the blackbird, and I loved the shelf. I have a regular 10' blackbird, double layer 1.1, perfect condition - only used for trying it out, never for a full trip.
    How much are you asking for the 10 footer?
    zig-zag man

Quote Originally Posted by blue indian View Post
    I also have a blackbird I want to unload.....I have too much gear

Mine is the single layer 1.7. Used about 13 nights. I will include the suspension and aftermarket carabiners
    Is it the 10 footer? How much are you asking for it?
    zig-zag man

Quote Originally Posted by zig-zag man View Post
    Is it the 10 footer? How much are you asking for it?
    Sent you a PM @ zig-zag man

++ New Posts ++