WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Approach Trail to the AT

Trying to decide to start with the approach trail next April, or getting dropped off USFS 42 and hiking 1 mile south to Springer. Any benefit to starting from the visitor center at Amicalola Falls state park?

Cheaper to get to Amicalola if you are paying a shuttle ... is the primarily "benefit". In addition you can sign the register in the visitors center, and the 8.8 mi approach trail is an easy walk to the start of the AT (with the exception of the steps, THEY are not easy ; ) )
    Last edited by Turtle-2013; 10-31-2017 at 08:13.

How much you enjoy the approach trail will largely depend on how fit you are and how heavy your pack is. When I hiked it in 2016 my pack weight when I passed under the arch was only 23 pounds and I was in pretty good shape. I enjoyed that 8.8 mile hike to Springer and the only part I found really taxing was when the trail uses the series of stairs beside Amicalola Falls, which you can skip if you choose by getting dropped off near the lodge rather than the Visitor Center. But I found the Visitor Center to be worth visiting -- friendly staff, and a lot of folks enjoy the rituals of getting their pack weighed and registering their intentions with the trail runner stationed there.

I will say, though, that I passed a lot of newbies in that 8.8 miles who were backpacking for the first time and many were really struggling -- there is a net climb of 2000 feet between the Visitor Center and Springer.
    Last edited by map man; 10-31-2017 at 08:12.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

I did the approach on my first sttempt and again on this years (successful) thru hike, mainly it was a great place to get dropped off. Both times I enjoyed every aspect of the approach. The falls are such a beautiful place to start, with the exception of the stairs haha. I used the stairs as a "If can't make it up these few lousy stairs, how am I supposed to make it all the way to Maine?" For me, signing in and going through the arch was a better starting point than atop Springer, just seemed more "official" to me I guess. Glad I did it, that whole experience was one of my favorites on the Southern end with spectacular views of the falls. Highly recommended and it's only another 8.8 miles or so.
    - Trail name: Thumper

Thanks guys. We (my wife , This Way) and I, were curious about those things that you all mentioned. While the cost is not a big factor Turtle, I was curious if it would be extra. We are thinking about staying at the Hiker Hostel because they will pick us up at the Marta, take us to their place, and then deliver us to either the visitor center or Springer; I thought going to Springer may cost a few extra bucks.
    Map Man we are training now, and plan on being in great shape when we start. We are not in bad shape now, but I have a training plan I'm working on to start November 01 (tomorow), so it sounds like it will be worth it.

Christoph, Congrats Man !!!! My wife expressed your thoughts before I posted anything. She said that she thought she would be missing something if she didn't go the approach trail. I thought I would enjoy meeting some of the people there and registering. I just didn't know if I wanted to go an extra 8.8 miles, and spend an extra day doing that. It sounds like I will regret it if we skip the approach, so I believe we will do it.

Thanks again everyone, Which Way and This Way.

When are you planning to start? I live in Corner and I plan on starting February 15.Hope to see you on the trail.

I saw that last week when i was reading post. I can't start until April 15. I would like to start earlier, but it won't work out. We definitely need to keep in touch.

The approach is a nice warm up and what's the chances you'll ever be there again? Might as well do it. Any extra satisfaction you get by knowing that you hiked up to the top instead of driving most of the way is a bonus. You have to finish by climbing a mountain, why not start that way too?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Which Way View Post
    I just didn't know if I wanted to go an extra 8.8 miles, and spend an extra day doing that. It sounds like I will regret it if we skip the approach, so I believe we will do it.
    I always get a kick out of that justification for not doing the approach. You hope to go 2200 miles and spend up to 6 months doing that, and your don't want to go an extra 8.8 miles and loose a day, on your very first day?

But you saw the folly of that line of thinking. Now the question becomes do the falls or skip them?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I would recommend doing the approach trail. However, I would also recommend dropping your pack off at the top of the falls and climbing the stairs pack free. You’ll thank me later. That’s a lot of stairs...like more than whatever you’re thinking right now...������.
    On the flip side, you can definitely do it with your pack. The falls are beautiful and getting the starting picture at the stone arch is rather iconic..

From what i've seen, the approach trail and the infamous stairs have gotten to be a kind of rite of passage. If anything it'll give a last bit of feel for adjusting your pack and all before you head up North.

If you wanted to avoid the stairs and still start under the Arch the "Hike Inn" trail I think is a good option. It is a little longer but the Hike inn is a cool place to see and I know my dog appreciated not climbing all those stairs. The trail connects back up to the Approach Trail at approx. 4.25 miles If I remember correctly.

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...p_08-17-18.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by DBMarshall View Post
    If you wanted to avoid the stairs and still start under the Arch the "Hike Inn" trail I think is a good option. It is a little longer but the Hike inn is a cool place to see and I know my dog appreciated not climbing all those stairs. The trail connects back up to the Approach Trail at approx. 4.25 miles If I remember correctly.

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...p_08-17-18.pdf
    I was going to ask if this was feasible. I have a ride to the Springer trailhead (or however close you can get to it by car) but wondered if it was feasible to sign in at the visitors center, weigh my pack, get a photo under the arch and then drive to Springer.

It's your choice. I didn't hike the approach trail and never had any regrets. Sounds like many folks love it.

I can tell you this, if you ask any thru hiker, who has been on the trail for a week or more, if they want to hike 8.8 miles on a blue blaze to see a waterfall, I guarantee you what 100% will answer.

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by RuthN View Post
    I was going to ask if this was feasible. I have a ride to the Springer trailhead (or however close you can get to it by car) but wondered if it was feasible to sign in at the visitors center, weigh my pack, get a photo under the arch and then drive to Springer.
    Yes, just be aware that the ride from Amicalola to the Springer lot is an hour or so drive.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

I have stated my position on the approach trail vs. starting at Springer, but I would say this, if it was snowy, icy or experiencing a significant rainfall, I would be hesitant to have my family drive me up the FS roads to get to Springer. My plan was that if weather was crappy, I was going to Amicalola.

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle-2013 View Post
    Cheaper to get to Amicalola if you are paying a shuttle ... is the primarily "benefit". In addition you can sign the register in the visitors center, and the 8.8 mi approach trail is an easy walk to the start of the AT (with the exception of the steps, THEY are not easy ; ) )
    Agreed.

Start with approach trail and side stay at the Hike Inn. Great last hurrah and shower with food. Some folks say it is pricey but I loved it.

Journal Entries
    Images

Just do it so you can say you did it. Or don't. HYOH. When I thru, I'm gonna.

Quote Originally Posted by Which Way View Post
    Trying to decide to start with the approach trail next April, or getting dropped off USFS 42 and hiking 1 mile south to Springer. Any benefit to starting from the visitor center at Amicalola Falls state park?

The Approach is 8+ miles of climbing. The next 8 miles after Springer are largely easy with very little climbing at all. If you're looking for time to ease into the climbing, don't do it. If you want the challenge from the outset, do the Approach and enjoy the second 8 miles as a break. Plus if you do the Approach you get the picture at the arch, sign the registry, and generally have a nice place to launch. Either way don't feel guilty. The Approach is a blue-blaze starting point. You're official either way!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++