WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Splurge and stay in the lodge. Take your time the next day in the visitor's center and do then 8.5 miles to Springer and stay the night in the shelter. Next day officially start your thru hike. The approach is really beautiful and is really not that difficult unless you are trying to do a 20 miler your first day on the trail (you shouldn't be!). I did 10 miles or less per day for the first week of the trail. Was probably underkill but I didn't want to push it as I wasn't in ideal shape. Yes, the stairs are hard but not that hard. Sheesh!

The falls are pretty stunning and you get bragging rights after hiking those stairs in a pack And, yes, it's easier to get dropped off at the park.

David Miller (AWOL, author of the trail guide we use) did the approach trail on his thru hike.

Yes, I know, HYOH.

Quote Originally Posted by lacholitarubia View Post
    The falls are pretty stunning and you get bragging rights after hiking those stairs in a pack And, yes, it's easier to get dropped off at the park.
    Good point, every hiker up the Trail will ask if you did the stairs, why not be a part of that group? And besides, as mentioned earlier you may never pass that way again, try to enjoy the entire experience over and above just making miles.
    "every day's a holiday, every meal a feast"

Just do the approach trail. It's only 8 miles and you can end the day at the first shelter about 11 miles in. Will be a relatively easy hike and you don't need to worry about logistics in getting to Springer. Also, if you are truly concerned about hiking 8 additional miles, then you may want to reconsider embarking on a 2000 + miles thru hike. Just my 2 cents.

Its curious, no one seems to care what trail they take up or down the AT from the top of Katahdin but everyone seems to get stressed over how they get up or down Springer.

IMHO, Helon Taylor trail to the Knifes Edge trail should be the Northern Approach to the northern end or start. I expect many a thru hike will be over before it officially starts
    Last edited by peakbagger; 11-14-2017 at 13:03.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++