WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Hunting Near the Trail

I am going on my first section hike during hunting season in 2 weeks. We are going from Unicoi Gap in GA to Deep Gap in NC. How do I know if hunting is allowed near the trail or if I need to have a safety orange color?

Quote Originally Posted by Stone1984 View Post
    I am going on my first section hike during hunting season in 2 weeks. We are going from Unicoi Gap in GA to Deep Gap in NC. How do I know if hunting is allowed near the trail or if I need to have a safety orange color?
    It's deer season in Georgia, so I'd have some safety orange visible.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

If its hunting season I'd wear orange regardless if hunting is officially allowed where you plan to hike or not. Not everybody knows the rules or where the boundaries are, and not everyone follows them. And some idiots will shoot at anything that they see moving in the woods.

Journeyman Journeyer
    Images

This topic comes up often this time of year. I fully agree one should wear some blaze orange during hunting season but I am curious. Does anyone know of any documented cases of a hiker being shot on the AT accidentally during hunting season?

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by grubbster View Post
    This topic comes up often this time of year. I fully agree one should wear some blaze orange during hunting season but I am curious. Does anyone know of any documented cases of a hiker being shot on the AT accidentally during hunting season?
    IIRC, this was discussed several years ago there was definitely one case, possibly two. Given that we were talkinrg about a 2200 mile trail that has been in existence for over 75 years, I'd say it's fairly safe.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Im of a mind that even hiking in areas where hunting is pretty active, its pretty safe IF you wear your orange. Last week we neglected to check before taking our travel trailer out and of course it was both bow and muzzle loader season. Having forgot to pack our orange vests on principal, we went the 5 miles to the local Walmart and score vest and then found long sleeve tee shirts in nearly dayglow orange on sale for $6 so thats what we actually used. Something to consider if you've where its still warm during the season and it gives you a usable layer...I know cotton but better than being shot and some of us need to save where we can not to mention a (hunting) vest has no second use on the trail

If hiking ANY trail in Pennsylvania I highly recommend blaze orange in any season and even than I would pay close attention to my surroundings and NO earbuds! Unfortunately hunting is not what it use to be around here!

To answer your question, Yes, hunting is allowed on the AT in that area at that time. Both deer and bear hunters may be seen. Even if you don't see any hunters you may encounter a hound dog running around with a radio collar. You may hear some shots. The other thing you may see is a 4-wheeler on the trail. You will not encounter throngs of hunters. There has never been a reported case of a hiker being shot or injured in any way by hunters on the AT in Georgia. They have a right to be there so be respectful. It's never wise to get in to it with an armed person on a remote trail even if he is dragging a dead deer behind a 4-wheeler on the Appalachian Trail. Even though it's illegal to operate a vehicle on the trail, you won't be able to police that, so say "good afternoon" and let it go. You can report it later to proper authorities.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    IIRC, this was discussed several years ago there was definitely one case, possibly two. Given that we were talkinrg about a 2200 mile trail that has been in existence for over 75 years, I'd say it's fairly safe.
    But what percentage of hikers in areas with hunting are hiking during hunting season? My guess is fairly few. I would give the advise about blaze orange to anybody in the woods during hunting season. It makes you much more visible.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

In Pennsylvania, much of the AT is on State Game Lands, which are purchased through hunting license dollars and maintained for hunting, trapping and related uses. The only place one may camp on SGLs is a narrow corridor along the AT. From Nov 15 to Dec 15, ALL persons on SGLs must have orange hat, or vest, etc.

Scores of hikers pass through my patrol area every hunting season.

I investigate hunting "accidents" and train other officers how to do so. Very few people are shot by hunters, and most victims are other hunters. The majority of victims are shot by somebody within a few feet, usually a member of their own hunting party. I know of no AT hikers shot by hunters.

The woods are not dangerous during hunting season. Wear some orange, and avoid brown or white (for deer) or black (for bears).

Orange is not the most visible color. Any bright a$$ color will be seen by hunters. Orange is not visible by deer...who cares if deer can see you as they will flee as soon as they hear you stomping through the woods.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by swisscross View Post
    Orange is not the most visible color. Any bright a$$ color will be seen by hunters. Orange is not visible by deer...who cares if deer can see you as they will flee as soon as they hear you stomping through the woods.
    Blaze orange is the color that every hunter who has ever taken a safety course has had beaten into their heads to be on the lookout for. That's why I'd recommend sticking with it.
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 10-30-2017 at 20:50.

Images

Blaze orange is the color that every hunter who has ever taken a safety course has had beaten into their heads to be on the lookout for, I'll stick with it.
    YEah, me too. Though we went on a 4-day CT trek last week, completely forgot about hunting season until we were on the trail and heard a shot. We had no orange with us. So, the rest of the hike I had my bright blue wind jacket on display on top of my pack and my wife wore her bright greenish-yellow. We figured better than nothing.

Fluorescent orange is not found in any North American wildlife. Fl orange always means a human. Blue is found on male wild turkeys, which are hunted in the spring. I know of an incident where a mushroom hunter wearing a black fleece jacket and holding a Pepsi can was shot by a turkey hunter in the spring, and an incident where a woman wearing a white knit cap was shot by a deer hunter during the winter. This is not to excuse the hunters; they are guilty as hell.

In the winter, don't wear brown, white or black, the colors of a deer or bear. In May, don't wear red, white, blue or black, the colors of a male turkey or "gobbler."

Wear some orange and you will be fine. The woods are not dangerous.

In the A.T.'s history, two hikers have been victims of accidental shootings by hunters on or close to the A.T. Both hikers sustained life-threatening injuries and were airlifted to hospitals, but survived. One was a novice, female teen backpacker, in Georgia, in late November 2002; the other was an experienced, older hiker and former thru-hiker on a day-hike in on a side trail of the A.T. in southwest Virginia on January 1, 2003. Both were shot by hunters who mistook them for deer. Neither hiker was wearing blaze orange.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post
    But what percentage of hikers in areas with hunting are hiking during hunting season? My guess is fairly few.
    To answer anecdotally, quite a lot of hikers in early to mid fall. In the Northeast deer season is well underway during the peak of fall foliage season and the trails in New England are packed well into October and November. When I hiked in Georgia during early deer season a few years back, the trails were well used, bordering on busy.

I would give the advise about blaze orange to anybody in the woods during hunting season. It makes you much more visible.
    Absolutely agree.

Images

My favorite hat is blaze orange.

GOPR8798.jpg

Blaze orange is the color that every hunter who has ever taken a safety course has had beaten into their heads to be on the lookout for. That's why I'd recommend sticking with it.
    Safety course...Bahh...orange was adopted because DEER can not see orange. Lime green is more visible to the human eye. Wear what you want but your safety course is wrong.

Unless you are hiking on lands where orange is mandated by law. If not, just tell the officer you read otherwise on the Internet.
    Wear the orange. Go in peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Game Warden View Post
    Unless you are hiking on lands where orange is mandated by law. If not, just tell the officer you read otherwise on the Internet.
    Wear the orange. Go in peace.
    Please provide link where a hiker is required to wear orange...interntet?...try science.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++