WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What the heck is wrong with me?

It's been over a year since I hiked the CT, (started on June 18 last year) but I can't shake the feeling I'm not done with it yet.

I had a different hike in mind for next year, but may attempt a Sept CT hike instead.

I have never wanted to rehike a trail, am I ill? Will This pass? Or should I buy another ticket to Denver?

If you started in Denver last year, why not start in Durango this year?
    It will be like a whole other trail.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Hmm that's an option to consider. I thought a fall hike, which is what I originally wanted, would satisfy my CT desires. I thought being in the San Juans at the end would be fantastic, but Denver bound does sound intriguing.

Images

When we finished the Long Trail we swore to each other we would *never* do that again.

Yeah, just this summer we were, er, talking about doing the LT again. It'll have to wait 5 more years until we retire. We'd likely do it in the early fall rather than July, so we get a different season, maybe some fall color. So, yeah, I get the impulse
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

There are advantages to hiking a trail twice. You know what to expect and don't have to think as much about how to do the logistics. Different time of year, different direction, different people - add up to a different experience. When you go do it a forth time, then your falling into a rut
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Too funny slo, I'll never get to all the trails if I do them all 4x!

Sa-scratchhhh that itch!

Quote Originally Posted by archie View Post
    How was the snow in mid June? I’m debating heading back to Breck mid June as I had to bail this past July as my dog got hurt with that said part of me wants to wait till sept as I did Collegiate loop mid to late sept few years back and weather was incredible along with burgling bull elk.....so many choices!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GAME 06

Just do what you want to do the most.

Some hike a trail once and never have an interest in going back.

Others hike pretty much one trail over and over again. Scott Williamson has hiked the PCT 14 times now I think. Seiko (who I have not heard of for years) I was told had hiked the AT like 20 times. Stumpknocker must have hiked the AT 10 times.

If you want to hike them all do that, hike each one both directions do that, do an endless series of yo-yo's on the same trail have at it. HYOH as they say.

Images

I hiked it twice SOBO, I want to go back for a NOBO

Images

As discussed in a parallel CT thread, why not do a big section of the Colorado CDT? Like hike from Wolf Creek pass (easier access than the NM/CO border on the CDT) along the CDT until it merges with the CT, then follow the CT/CDT until the CDT splits off again at Georgia Pass and follow the CDT again from there? That will give you an opportunity to hike through the heart of the Weminuche Wilderness in SW Colorado. The CT from Durango north is spectacular, don't get me wrong, but check out the heart of the Weminuche...

Dial your own miles, quit at ~500 if you want the same length experience as the full CT.

And even though I've hiked the CT sections 1-5 (Waterton to Kenosha Pass or reversed) 4 times now, I don't see why anyone would really want to finish a long hike to Waterton doing those CT sections.... But, anything works!

I've done the Wonderland Trail twice. Each trip was very different.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Different season. Different hike. Aspens should be popping. Crisp and cool should be the norm.

Lost count how many times I've done the NJ AT
    Foothills Tr 5x. AT 2x.
    JMT 5X...blah blah blah. Most times its a one and done thru but why back yourself into a Every one was different and appreciated.

If ya don't think your done with the CT incorporate all or part of it into another CO hike. CT is definitely not all CO has to offer.

...why back yourself into a corner. Don't be confined to all the ticky tacky little houses in Agrestic.

I've hiked the JMT multiple times in various directions/permutations (and will do so again this year) and done some sections of the AT several times due to convenience. I hiked the CT SOBO in 2014 and will either hike it again this year NOBO or do a CDT segment hike in Colorado. I don't think that there's anything unusual with wanting to re-hike certain trails if you've had a great experience in the past. The only thing that would argue against this is that there are other great trails I've yet to hike and sometimes I feel like I might be getting into a rut, but even if I am it is kind of a great rut to re-hike great trails.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default What-the-heck-is-wrong-with-me

It's been over a year since I hiked the CT, (started on June 18 last year) but I can't shake the feeling I'm not done with it yet.

I had a different hike in mind for next year, but may attempt a Sept CT hike instead.

I have never wanted to rehike a trail, am I ill? Will This pass? Or should I buy another ticket to Denver?
    Like many of us who have spent a considerable time doing a major hike, you have become addicted to hiking. Being the AT, CD,PCT or any other long distance hiking trail you have been infected. Enjoy being infected and try to pass the infection along to others.
    Grampie-N->2001

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    There are advantages to hiking a trail twice. You know what to expect and don't have to think as much about how to do the logistics. Different time of year, different direction, different people - add up to a different experience. When you go do it a forth time, then your falling into a rut
    I've backpacked the same trails hundreds of times, even thousands. Every time is different. Every camp is different. The sheer blessedness of being able to get out is worth whatever so-called monotony someone might experience.

Sit under a tree and close your eyes. Every place is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Grampie View Post
    Like many of us who have spent a considerable time doing a major hike, you have become addicted to hiking. Being the AT, CD,PCT or any other long distance hiking trail you have been infected. Enjoy being infected and try to pass the infection along to others.
    I also see the addiction to hiking and bag nights and sleeping outdoors to be an infection, Miss Nature's brain virus. With most of our 330 million Americans indoors, it's gonna be hard to pass this virus along to others. Electronic imprisonment. And then add on the neverending desire to vanquish and domesticate what's left of the great American landscape thru sprawl and development.

Well I should have known this group wouldnt talk me out of it!

It's set, I'm going again the end of August.

The snow in mid June 2016 was great. Enough to be beautiful and add some coolness to an otherwise hot hike. All the hype about snow was greatly exaggerated.

I realize there is a lot of country to see in Colorado, and the US and the world! That's why I think it's a bit crazy to do any trail again. But I'm just not done with the CT yet.

Cyall out there in September!

Wish me luck!

I'll be at the trailhead Wednesday morning for another round if CT hiking.

Arch

Denver trailhead I suppose?
    Be safe. Have fun!
    Wayne

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++