Thread: Pee Rag

Default Pee Rag

What kind of fabric would you recommend for a pee rag? I found some wicking bandanas on Amazon and was wondering if that might be a better alternative than plain cotton bandanas.

Quote Originally Posted by biloute View Post
    What kind of fabric would you recommend for a pee rag? I found some wicking bandanas on Amazon and was wondering if that might be a better alternative than plain cotton bandanas.
    An un named wife of a poster here says that both worked well for her. Whatever is cheapest and clean and unobtrusive.

Thanks. I was wondering because I know cotton doesn’t really dry quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Cotton bandanas dry relatively quickly because they are very thin.

If you sew a button hole in the corner of a bandana you can clip it to your pack and let it flap in the breeze. If it's not wet out this will let the bandana dry quickly.

Images

I like a simple cotton bandana, easy to tie to the lower strap of backpack for quick grab if you don't have to take you pack off to pee, or for a little wipe if sweaty and want a little freshening up, can rinse easily in stream or water from bottle to do a simple wash. Can easily squeeze out water if wet from rain to work well enough to clean pee drips of concern. Rainy days no matter what you have will be damp, so lighter weight I think works better. Cheap so easy to replace.

I did something similar for a hike last year. Funny thing is I bought the rag for a pee rag, but was sitting at camp in Baxter and started messing around with ideas...next thing I know this gem was born!! I sewed a button on the rag and cut a small slit in it then just loop it around and hook it to one of my shoulder strap loops. Used it to wipe my face and would get it wet to lay across my neck as well. It is now a part of any pack I carry!20170723_143109.jpg

Journal Entries

I do the same, but just yank a corner up in the elastic straps on my shoulder strap and run it back down through again. No sewing required. I have a tendency to be snotty while hiking... or breathing, and i constantly need a tissue. This works great for that. Rinse out in streams and cool off, wash hands, whatever. Awesome. I don't do the pee rag thing, I just use a squirt bottle to do a tiny rinse and a stiff edged leaf to wick away any spare drops and done. I usually have 2 bandanas. One on my shoulder strap as shown above and one in my pack for bathing, face washing, etc. Kind of a dirty and clean...er.
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

simple bandana! It's my #1 item, I carry 2, one for pee, one for literally everything else - pot holder, handkerchief, cool neck/head wrap. Even used one as an emergency panty liner when I had an unexpected period. (That one got tossed...)

I use two bandanas on the trail and I have made a "bidet" squirter with my squeezable water bottle and a spare bottle cap that I drilled a hole through. I keep it strung up on my pack untilnot is time for Arya to make water in the woodsb then switch out caps. I spray myself clean as I can with my bidet, shake my tookus, and then wipe dry. Get re-dressed and rinse that corner (x marks the spot, literally) as best as I can before continuing on. Less yick factor, pee rag stays clean-er, and I think my underwear smells a little less rancidly at the end of the hike.

I bought a Kula cloth today...hope it works for me. The past few years I’ve packed a ziploc snack bag with pieces of paper towel and an empty, ziplock snack bag for the used pieces. Every trip, it’s a game trying to estimate how many paper towels to pack. If it works for me, the Kula cloth will save a lot of guesswork. On a whim, I also bought some Kula Clean soap since I’ve increasingly been bathing on trail.

Has anyone tried one? Can’t wait to try it on my next hike.

https://kulacloth.com/

I cut up an old yellow washcloth that I pin to my pack
    Trillium

Quote Originally Posted by Trillium View Post
    I cut up an old yellow washcloth that I pin to my pack
    I haven’t had luck with a dedicated pee rag for several reasons and after a few days, it is sealed tightly in a plastic bag because it’s smelly, nasty, and wet (from using it to wash). I always end up feeling it was a waste of time to carry one.

Plus...the founder of Kula Cloth, Anastasia Allison, plays the violin in the mountains.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9KYoYGW2fuI

Pee-style- then no rag necessary. And you can pee standing up without taking off your pack. You can also use it in your tent at night if you have a wide mouth Gatorade bottle. Very useful when it’s raining outside. You can order one on Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No pee rag for me. There were a lot of good suggestions here, but I just can't carry unsanitary items hanging from my pack. Hygiene is super important to me. I carry Burts Bees washing clothes. I have consistently used them or something similar for my backcountry expeditions. I place all used cloths in a zip lock bag then in an Opsack. I also use the clothes to clean my face, feet and other body parts after hiking for the day and before I change to my sleepwear.

I just use a regular bandana that I tie onto the outside of my backpack. it's easy enough to wash out when I get the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    I haven’t had luck with a dedicated pee rag for several reasons and after a few days, it is sealed tightly in a plastic bag because it’s smelly, nasty, and wet (from using it to wash). I always end up feeling it was a waste of time to carry one.

Plus...the founder of Kula Cloth, Anastasia Allison, plays the violin in the mountains.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9KYoYGW2fuI

Tested this and I’m sold. It dries very quickly and there’s absolutely no odor. It easily snaps on the pack with the wiping side folded inward so it’s not touching the pack. For those who remove their pack to pee, the clever snap makes it easy to use while still attached to the pack.

++ New Posts ++