WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

[QUOTE=Malto;2177986]I make my own electrolyte mix out from 41g of Morton Salt Balance and 108g of Calcium/Magnesium Complex. This makes 100 servings and can be added to any food or drink or put into empty capsules. This recipe matches the electrolyte product sold by Hammer

Malto, Where do you buy Calcium/Magnesium complex? All I can find are the capsules. Thanks.

Images

[QUOTE=mhamby;2177989]
    Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    I make my own electrolyte mix out from 41g of Morton Salt Balance and 108g of Calcium/Magnesium Complex. This makes 100 servings and can be added to any food or drink or put into empty capsules. This recipe matches the electrolyte product sold by Hammer

Malto, Where do you buy Calcium/Magnesium complex? All I can find are the capsules. Thanks.
    google Calcium/Magnesium complex POWDER and you will be golden.

enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

This thread is funny, 20 replies and about 15 different remedies. I used to suffer badly from leg cramps when I did trail races and OCR's, and have tried a bunch of different things and read up on a ton of research on the topic. Bottom line: cramps are most likely an expression of your lack of fitness for the task at hand. The best long term cure, not treatment, is to get in better shape at what you're doing. So in the meantime, how do you stop them when they do occur? I know pickle juice (it's not the salt in it, as the relief comes before your body can process the salt) if I can get past the gag reflex has provided me some temporary relief, as has mustard, and HotShot. YMMV. I do want to add this one very important point about "electrolytes" and "salt". Gatorade has pumped millions into studies touting their product and electrolytes. However, there are non-biased studies that show that a true electrolyte deficiency in the body results in random cramping anywhere. Meaning, if you were truly lacking electrolytes, your jaw might cramp, or your fingers. Why is it then that exercise induced cramps are relegated only to the muscles being used? So are electrolytes truly the factor? To me, the research says no. TLDR: get in better shape. Try different things and find what gives you relief. Not buying electrolytes as the culprit.
    It is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by JPritch View Post
    ...However, there are non-biased studies that show that a true electrolyte deficiency in the body results in random cramping anywhere. Meaning, if you were truly lacking electrolytes, your jaw might cramp, or your fingers. Why is it then that exercise induced cramps are relegated only to the muscles being used? ...
    I could be totally wrong but perhaps the muscles in use consume/use up local supplies of electrolytes. If your body could just eternally recycle these nutrients you wouldn't need to eat them.

For me, I personally agree with you to a degree though. My hypothesis for me is that there may be muscle imbalances in my legs--from strength training--and/or some elasticity loss in my tendons with ageing.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Default Treat Leg Cramps at Night

After a long day at the office, you’d likely want nothing more than to go home, relax, and get a good night’s sleep. But for some people, sleep is nearly impossible due to painful spasms in their legs. Nighttime leg cramps—also called nocturnal leg cramps—can jolt a person awake in the middle of the night. Leg cramps can strike during the day as well, especially during physical activities. Many people turn to more natural ways of dealing with leg cramps at night by applying a hot compress to the area, taking magnesium supplements, and staying hydrated.

Images

I bring a a few Tums tablets for calcium at night, that and trying to drink plenty of water works for me.

I try to stay hydrated throughout the hike and take electrolyte supplements during the hike and again as soon as the hike is over. Try to make a serious effort at hydrating immediately after you set your tent and keep hydrating until your pee runs clear. Then take some more electrolyte replacement...

Journal Entries

I am not into taking a bunch of various pills everyday, as I take enough for my many medical issues. I have gotten into the habit of eating a banana or two everyday and it has been a long time since I have had to deal with leg cramps.
    Blackheart

I can get debilitating hamstring and quad muscle cramps. This stuff, http://www.stopslegcramps.com/ provides immediate relief, it works with the speed of morphine.

Taste like something your ex mother in law concocted, but it is unbelievable how fast and well it stops cramps.

I get cramps after a long hard hike... I carry McDonald's salt sachets .. one in some water...then I'm fine.

Just eat bananas and stay hydrated with water and electrolytes and the cramps will be history!

I use potassium when I have leg cramps with lots of hydration.

I just wanna say, foot cramps SUCK! That is all.

Stretch and massage provide relief you.

Cramps have not been an issue for me but I notice that if I take a break mid day for electrolyte powder drink then
    I seem to feel less exhausted at day's end.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++