WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default End of an era?- Exos 58

Wondering if this is the end of the Exos...Osprey says none available with their online partners, IRC the price is now $30 higher where it is available and the Osprey site now has most of the info page shut down. While another redesign might be nice I will freak out if they mess up the Airspeed suspension.
    Anyone have connections with Osprey?

Images

a quick search says that REI has them...........moosejaw has them..........

maybe they are just upgrading it and havent updated the webpage.....

I thought all the Exos series were getting an upgrade for 2018?

Been a few years... probably an update coming.

Osprey is probably listing it out so the supply chain can clear out.
    Happens pretty often with retail gear.

I'd guess they'd keep it going... they went in with that AG line for the comfort minded side. These are about it for the UL line, though there was that other thread here about an even more stripped down exos type pack coming.
    Exos without a brain if I recall.

Nice series of packs. The cottage guys are feature creeping and Osprey is trimming. Pretty competitive pack off the shelf to build a respectable kit out of.

Too bad Osprey still can't make a water bottle or hip belt pocket to save their lifes. Other wise they are great packs.

New design...I think a women's model Exos is coming out...and the new Osprey Levity is out in the spring...

As the 2016 most popular AT pack and still #1 by most surveys this year, I'd have to guess the more demanding hikers are vastly outnumbered by the comfort oriented weekend warriors. Surely if the gross numbers we large we'd see more offerings in the lineup, so my conclusion is our needs puts us in the minority. Personally all their other packs make my back sweat just standing still in REI....the Airspeed suspension and light weight made my choice a no brainer. Thankfully Zpacks is a real alternative if Osprey leaves us out in the cold.

Osprey has the new Levity coming out, and it would likely compete in the same space as the Exos. This is the one I’m actually waiting on, here’s a sneak peak: (yes, it’s from a Eauropean show)

https://youtu.be/sp8dV2n54Bw

Also:
    https://www.snewsnet.com/press-relea...or-spring-2018

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post

I'd guess they'd keep it going... they went in with that AG line for the comfort minded side. These are about it for the UL line, though there was that other thread here about an even more stripped down exos type pack coming.

Nice series of packs. The cottage guys are feature creeping and Osprey is trimming. Pretty competitive pack off the shelf to build a respectable kit out of.

Too bad Osprey still can't make a water bottle or hip belt pocket to save their lifes. Other wise they are great packs.
    Right on about the hipbelt. I returned my Exos cause the belt was awful. Otherwise, great pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for the links TX Aggie, I'm stoked looking at the Levity, for a non cottage industry product it looks damned fine, even if those near the base price of an ARC Haul. Good timing for me too, next spring will allow lots of time to sell of my current pack.

I would have to think the Exos is getting a makeover and not going away all together. The Exos is still relevant in the Osprey line and will be essential when the Levity debuts as it will fill the gap between UL and load haulers. The Levity doesn’t have a high max load which is refreshing to see. They’re being realistic, something I feel Zpacks has become lax on with their max load specs.

Here’s an English preview video of the Levity:

Quote Originally Posted by Crossup View Post
    Thanks for the links TX Aggie, I'm stoked looking at the Levity, for a non cottage industry product it looks damned fine, even if those near the base price of an ARC Haul. Good timing for me too, next spring will allow lots of time to sell of my current pack.
    Since the Exos 58 checks all your boxes, perhaps wait 'til the latest&greatest comes out and people sell their Exos 58 packs on gear swap. I have an older style Arc Blast and lamented the Zpacks update to the new suspension, but was able to find a very lightly used one in my favored older style that someone was selling here at WB.

Actually the Exos only checked enough boxes to make it my best value choice. Add in I cant test fit a Zpack Arc Haul and I'm a little leary of its overall comfort given the weight. I expect to be hauling an Osprey next year again, just a question of which, unless you guys continue seducing my weight weenie side(I already have the disease with R/C models)

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Since the Exos 58 checks all your boxes, perhaps wait 'til the latest&greatest comes out and people sell their Exos 58 packs on gear swap. I have an older style Arc Blast and lamented the Zpacks update to the new suspension, but was able to find a very lightly used one in my favored older style that someone was selling here at WB.

Sounds more like supply was less than demand, doubt any company could/would muff that up...they’ll be back.

Quote Originally Posted by Crossup View Post
    Actually the Exos only checked enough boxes to make it my best value choice. Add in I cant test fit a Zpack Arc Haul and I'm a little leary of its overall comfort given the weight. I expect to be hauling an Osprey next year again, just a question of which, unless you guys continue seducing my weight weenie side(I already have the disease with R/C models)
    What is the total pack weight you anticipate? The current Zpacks frame and suspension can comfortably handle a lot more than the old-style Arc packs.

I have an Arc Haul and use it almost exclusively in the winter because I hardly ever need 60+ liters of capacity otherwise. However I find it an extremely comfortable pack when properly fitted and adjusted. Personally, I need the optional lumbar pad because without it the bottom crossbar causes pain in the lumbar/sacrum area.

There will still be an Exos with a new womans version. https://www.snewsnet.com/press-relea...or-spring-2018
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

So far I only have a single outing to go by and my next one will be the similar-food and clothing for up to a week. Based on using an Arc Haul, new FC UL2, new pad and stove it calculates to 33lbs. I know better than to go that heavy but I'm restricted to 6-7 days out because my ride(wife) works.

This next outing is a good example, I wont have an ARC haul so I"m going to be +2lbs minus some food. Trying to make taking the train to Harpers Ferry NOBO work. Want to end a couple miles north of PenMar, where I started the last hike. Problem is 42 miles/6 days = half day segments. That was actually about the pace I did at first with 40+ pounds(one day was truly at 50lbs) but even then, by day 5 my legs had acclimated and I did 9 miles with the 50lbs with no strain. Day 7 saw me jogging on the highway with a food lightened pack, albeit motivated by thoughts of Twisty Top food and soft serve Yes I came home with 4-5days food but that is less than a pound of MH.
    So the way I roll, I just dont see less than 30lbs skin out in my future. I'm fine with that.

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post

The new pack is the Levity/Lumina most likely, which others have mentioned. Unfortunately the brain is actually fixed unlike the Exos models... that is one of the strikes I have against it as I go back and forth between buying an Arc Blast or a Levity 45/60.

I'm curious as well as to what it will actually weigh in reality and not Osprey's specs. My wife's Exos 48 weighs 40 oz in a small which is higher than their online spec. At least that is what I have it recorded as in my LighterPack sheets. I may go pull it out and re-weigh it. As for the 45 vs the 60L, maybe I am alone on leaning toward the 60L as it reportedly weighs ~1 oz more and only 20-ish dollars of MSRP. I only really need the 45L in terms of space in reality.

Here is where I am stuck.
    Zpacks Arc Blast - 22.6 oz with add-ons I want. $385 and it is black.
    Osprey Levity - 28 oz(45L) with no shoulder pouches and I still question if it actually has hipbelt pockets. $200-250 retail??? Only color I see is the display ones and not digging it. The warranty is the real factor here, this and the fact I can try one on around the corner from work most likely.

Fortunately, I have a bit of time to decide as my next section is in July unless we hit the CT up in June.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    The new pack is the Levity/Lumina most likely, which others have mentioned. Unfortunately the brain is actually fixed unlike the Exos models... that is one of the strikes I have against it as I go back and forth between buying an Arc Blast or a Levity 45/60.

I'm curious as well as to what it will actually weigh in reality and not Osprey's specs. My wife's Exos 48 weighs 40 oz in a small which is higher than their online spec. At least that is what I have it recorded as in my LighterPack sheets. I may go pull it out and re-weigh it. As for the 45 vs the 60L, maybe I am alone on leaning toward the 60L as it reportedly weighs ~1 oz more and only 20-ish dollars of MSRP. I only really need the 45L in terms of space in reality.

Here is where I am stuck.
    Zpacks Arc Blast - 22.6 oz with add-ons I want. $385 and it is black.
    Osprey Levity - 28 oz(45L) with no shoulder pouches and I still question if it actually has hipbelt pockets. $200-250 retail??? Only color I see is the display ones and not digging it. The warranty is the real factor here, this and the fact I can try one on around the corner from work most likely.

Fortunately, I have a bit of time to decide as my next section is in July unless we hit the CT up in June.
    Your choice is sort of like trying to pick a good IPA vs. Stout at your favorite local brew-pub.... you won't go wrong either way!

Just my 2 cents, having extensively used both Osprey and Zpacks packs (and the ULA OHM 2.0 for the entire AT), I much prefer the Arc Haul over my older Exos, though I understand the new Exos model is better, and who knows, the newest version, this "levity" is probably even better.

And speaking of ULA, have you considered any of those packs? Though overall I like the arc haul better than the Ohm, the Ohm actually has better hip-belt pockets and for whatever reason, I can get water bottles out of the Ohm side pockets easier (when hiking) than the Arc Haul. (I realize you're talking the Arc blast, but there is very little difference, so Arc haul comments apply).

In any case, the zpacks arc series and the ULA OHM are both way more comfortable than my older Exos pack, hands down. I'm truly amazed at how comfy the Arc Haul is even overloaded.

So many great choices these days.... again, like micro brews!

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Your choice is sort of like trying to pick a good IPA vs. Stout at your favorite local brew-pub.... you won't go wrong either way!

Just my 2 cents, having extensively used both Osprey and Zpacks packs (and the ULA OHM 2.0 for the entire AT), I much prefer the Arc Haul over my older Exos, though I understand the new Exos model is better, and who knows, the newest version, this "levity" is probably even better.

And speaking of ULA, have you considered any of those packs? Though overall I like the arc haul better than the Ohm, the Ohm actually has better hip-belt pockets and for whatever reason, I can get water bottles out of the Ohm side pockets easier (when hiking) than the Arc Haul. (I realize you're talking the Arc blast, but there is very little difference, so Arc haul comments apply).

In any case, the zpacks arc series and the ULA OHM are both way more comfortable than my older Exos pack, hands down. I'm truly amazed at how comfy the Arc Haul is even overloaded.

So many great choices these days.... again, like micro brews!
    My reasoning for only looking at Osprey and Zpacks is the back ventilation. I have a pack that is lighter than any of the above options but since we hike the majority of our distance hikes in summer, back ventilation has become my major focus. Walking into camp with sweat dripping down the back of my running shorts is pretty annoying.

I appreciate the response, and agree with the sentiment, that is really why I am torn. I guess my major hangup is what if the Osprey doesn't satisfy my desire to go lighter, I'm then looking at the Arc as my only option. The reverse could happen as well but the Arc used could most likely pay for a new Levity...
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

They better keep the Exos, and not crap out with some dinkier, lighter version. It's a great pack.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++