WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Speaking of micro brews- going within the hour to the location of my childhood home to visit WatersEnd Brewery who has an amber micro brew named after my family(but being too cumbersome, renamed to W22 which was the FAA designation for the airport we built, now the site of a strip mall with the brewery in it).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Crossup View Post
    Speaking of micro brews- going within the hour to the location of my childhood home to visit WatersEnd Brewery who has an amber micro brew named after my family(but being too cumbersome, renamed to W22 which was the FAA designation for the airport we built, now the site of a strip mall with the brewery in it).
    Very nice. To extend this drift a bit further, but still somewhat applicable to the OP, we truly live in the Golden Age of both excellent beer and outstanding gear! How could either get much better?

I'm hoping, for gear at least, that we have gone asymptotic... but I kinda thought that about 10 years ago...

Quote Originally Posted by capehiker View Post
    I would have to think the Exos is getting a makeover and not going away all together. The Exos is still relevant in the Osprey line and will be essential when the Levity debuts as it will fill the gap between UL and load haulers. The Levity doesn’t have a high max load which is refreshing to see. They’re being realistic, something I feel Zpacks has become lax on with their max load specs.

Here’s an English preview video of the Levity:
    Thanks, I knew there had to be an English presentation somewhere.

It would definitely be nice if they kept both models. The Levity would be a longer term goal for me, but the Exos is probably more realistic for my loads.

Quote Originally Posted by Crossup View Post
    So far I only have a single outing to go by and my next one will be the similar-food and clothing for up to a week. Based on using an Arc Haul, new FC UL2, new pad and stove it calculates to 33lbs. I know better than to go that heavy but I'm restricted to 6-7 days out because my ride(wife) works.

This next outing is a good example, I wont have an ARC haul so I"m going to be +2lbs minus some food. Trying to make taking the train to Harpers Ferry NOBO work. Want to end a couple miles north of PenMar, where I started the last hike. Problem is 42 miles/6 days = half day segments. That was actually about the pace I did at first with 40+ pounds(one day was truly at 50lbs) but even then, by day 5 my legs had acclimated and I did 9 miles with the 50lbs with no strain. Day 7 saw me jogging on the highway with a food lightened pack, albeit motivated by thoughts of Twisty Top food and soft serve Yes I came home with 4-5days food but that is less than a pound of MH.
    So the way I roll, I just dont see less than 30lbs skin out in my future. I'm fine with that.
    Transportation logistics aside, with a UL setup 42 miles could be done fairly easily in 3 days with about 4 lbs of food, with a total pack weight under 20 lbs.

As an R/C flier you probably gravitate toward gramweenie-ness. I flew competitive Pattern for a few years (D-1 NSRCA) and am quite familiar with the drive toward ever-lighter airframes for 2-meter F3A models.

Much respect for pattern guys...I fly IMAC, so easier to do but still similar. My take is F3A guys do great at IMAC, but vise vera less true.
    Gramweenie?- naw, microgram weenie!! Here's a video from early this year, 10" wingspan 9.4grams ready to fly, used my laser to skeletonize 3mm foam, mylar covered using magnetic actuators for a 4 channel setup 30mah 1 cell Lipo battery the delay in flying is me hooking up the battery(very fiddly) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-9oURr_V-g

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Transportation logistics aside, with a UL setup 42 miles could be done fairly easily in 3 days with about 4 lbs of food, with a total pack weight under 20 lbs.

As an R/C flier you probably gravitate toward gramweenie-ness. I flew competitive Pattern for a few years (D-1 NSRCA) and am quite familiar with the drive toward ever-lighter airframes for 2-meter F3A models.

It is 30 ounces vs an exos at 42 oz.

wonder what the max load will be?

i own an Exos but 12 ounces savings looks attractive.
    Or 7.8 ounces less if you take the lid off an Exos. I’ve been thinking of that with mine as well.

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by Ethesis View Post

i own an Exos but 12 ounces savings looks attractive.
    Or 7.8 ounces less if you take the lid off an Exos. I’ve been thinking of that with mine as well.
    LEVITY 60/LUMINA 60For the most audacious superultralight excursions and thru hikes
    Weight: 1.83 pounds
    Load Range: 10-30 lb
    Retail: $270
    LEVITY 45/LUMINA 45
    For experienced thru hikers and lightweight overnights
    Weight: 1.76 pounds
    Load Range: 5-25 lb
    Retail: $250
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    LEVITY 60/LUMINA 60For the most audacious superultralight excursions and thru hikes
    LEVITY 45/LUMINA 45
    30lb limit? Forget it.

LEVITY 45/LUMINA 45
    thanks!

I’ve started to consider 30lbs a max weight these days.

life has changed since I was a young pup lugging 70lb.

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by Ethesis View Post
    thanks!

I’ve started to consider 30lbs a max weight these days.

life has changed since I was a young pup lugging 70lb.
    No problem!
    I only had to carry 50lbs once to know it wasn't for me. 30 lb max load would have me at 8 days of food and 6 litres of water for my summer kit.
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'

No problem!
    I only had to carry 50lbs once to know it wasn't for me. 30 lb max load would have me at 8 days of food and 6 litres of water for my summer kit.
    So your entire non-food weight is 0.8 lbs? That sounds like the utra-ist of ultralight.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Too bad Osprey still can't make a water bottle or hip belt pocket to save their lifes. Other wise they are great packs.
    Wow, I find very surprising is that anyone would suggest the water bottle pockets on the Osprey are so bad. I find them the best I have ever seen. I have rarely, in fact never, seen a complaint about them. What's your issue with them?

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    So your entire non-food weight is 0.8 lbs? That sounds like the utra-ist of ultralight.
    That would be something! I already carry 8 days of food and 1 liter of water at 20 lbs. So an extra 5 would push me up to 30-31 lbs. 10.5 lb base for summer AT sections.
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'

If you have a 10.5 base and you're carrying a liter at 2.2 lbs, that means 8 days of food is 7.3 lbs? Explain the math here?

If you have a 10.5 base and you're carrying a liter at 2.2 lbs, that means 8 days of food is 7.3 lbs? Explain the math here?
    In my case, no math. Freeze dried food.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by scrabbler View Post
    Wow, I find very surprising is that anyone would suggest the water bottle pockets on the Osprey are so bad. I find them the best I have ever seen. I have rarely, in fact never, seen a complaint about them. What's your issue with them?
    Agree with you 100%. Love the water bottle pockets on both my Exos (48 and 58). One of the key features, besides the excellent ventilation.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Agree with you 100%. Love the water bottle pockets on both my Exos (48 and 58). One of the key features, besides the excellent ventilation.
    You must be way more flexible than myself... While hiking with the pack on (or just standing) I can get the water bottles out, but cannot get my water bottles back into the pockets of my Exos, yet can easily do so in my ULA OHM, and can do so, not quite as easily, in my Arc Haul (the Arc pockets are a bit smaller than the ULA pockets).

Now that I see the prices and stats for the new Osprey, not much less expensive than the Zpacks packs, I think it's a no-brainer in favor of the Arc series. But again, these all work and are fantastic packs.

1.25 lbs of dehydrated super high calorie food per day is 10 lb total, 6 liters of water is 13.2 lbs...7 lb summer base weight. I did 1.35 lbs a day of high quality food on the Long Trail and couldn't eat it all but I'm kinda small guy. I can't imagine too many places you need to carry 6 liters of water though

Leonidas

All dehydrated and then cold soaked. At 8 days out max, I have found that I don't get very hungry. It is so hot generally that trying to eat is a chore. I mix protein powder, oats and a superfood blend with water 2x per day and eat some fritos to fill in the gaps if/when needed.

Not saying this would work for anyone else just demonstrating that a 30lb max is lofty for me considering time of year, location and duration of trip.
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++