Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dixie

Default Dixie

I started to add this to the "Drone" thread, as Dixie was starting to appear in a few posts there. But just wanted to add that this was probably the most thorough youtube account of a thru-hike that I've seen. I thought her videos got better and better - perhaps as the editor gained more experience. She really had the right spirit and attitude the whole way, imo. When ever she faced a challenge, she faced it with "ok, how do I tackle this" - as opposed to "OMG I'm gonna die"! (Got a little worried with the wet sleeping bag, close to the end, and made the right choice to head to town). Seemed to always have a positive attitude, and took no shortcuts.
    Little personal side story, what got me interested in watching this journey: The first video showed her friend Perk doing a little dance at the trailhead in Campo. (Not the terminus, but the actual trailhead, down the hill and,across the road from the terminus). When I went down, totally unprepared and all alone, I found the terminus easy enough -- but then had NO IDEA what to do next, and didn't find that trailhead. So, seeing it in her video, b r ought back that memory, made me smile, and I was hooked!

She absolutely nailed the videos covering her hike. I've watched everyone of them. Strong girl. Congrats to her!

I've been watching her from day 1 on the A.T. She's Great! Only bad thing about her is she completely destroyed my Couch potato title. When I first tried to start hiking again I was lucky to do 100 yds, now my record is 12.5 miles and lost 26 # and best yet really upset a couple of my doctors. I owe it all to Dixie! Can't wait till she starts the CDT.

Her adding a Magic to her gear really upped the game for all the VLOGgers. Early Riser said he expect them to start showing up, but I didn’t expect any this year. It was a really great treat to her videos, especially the lake fly-overs.

I didn’t pick up on her videos until this year because I just got back into hiking seriously this winter and realized people were doing VLOGs of their thrus. She does a great job, you can really see the progression she’s made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found her AT vids last year and watched them all.... so when her PCT series started I subscribed. One of them, I was something like number 6 when I started it. Well up into the hundreds by the tie it ended. I was always amazed at the total numbers of views in a very short time after posting.
    Yeah, her vids have really evolved...from the nervous first few....but she's always had a great spirit and attitude. I want more about gear and logistics, but it's refreshing how she does it too....more about the experience and perspectives.

About the drone shots... At first I thought it was some stock footage that her editor pulled in.
    I think the thing that could have made it better was some perspective shots of her hiking and camp sites Don't remember seeing any of those....
    Not sure how I feel about drones though. As a pilot and aviation buff, I want one to get that elevated visual perspective, but they are noisy and offensive to others....

Regardless, I really enjoyed her vids

Default Dixie

she has a new one out there now about the gear she used on the pct.

I haven’t seen her videos, I’m sure they are as fantastic as you say. Now imagine everyone wanting to copy and capture their hikes in the same wonderful manner, like as in a self published AT book about their hike journey...see where I’m going with this. Eventually a hike in the woods becomes as annoying as black fly season.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I haven’t seen her videos, I’m sure they are as fantastic as you say. Now imagine everyone wanting to copy and capture their hikes in the same wonderful manner, like as in a self published AT book about their hike journey...see where I’m going with this. Eventually a hike in the woods becomes as annoying as black fly season.
    Wait a minute --- what? Hiking for me is going to be annoying because some other hiker is writing a book? ...Huh?

I'm telling you, drone hunting could be a lot of fun.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

can someone post a link please???

Default Dixie

I don't know how, but go into youtube and search for Homemade Wanderlust.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Yeah, I'll guess that is everyone's fear about the drones....
    since the subject here is Dixie and her use..... it really did look like she too great care to not fly around people and based on the % of the hike published with drone footage she didn't use it very much at all. It was really just a few cool panorama shots as trailers. here and there. Not many in total and I can think of only one or maybe two that showed any people at all.... so it seems like she looked for opportunities when nobody was around...

Could be wrong of course, but I surely got the idea that she was a very responsible drone user

Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    she has a new one out there now about the gear she used on the pct.

Yeah, I saw that. What I meant though was more like "gear in use" vids. "Routines" and "how-to" kinda stuff.... Her documentation focus is different... it really was quite enjoyable to watch IMO

Quote Originally Posted by cliffordbarnabus View Post
    can someone post a link please???
    Google Homemade Wanderlust.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

http://homemadewanderlust.com
    You’re welcome.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Images

Dixie did a great job with her video journey. The footage obtained with the drones really added to the overall effect of the story. Think of the extra weight, sweat effort, and time she had to put in to bring this story to everyone. Enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    Wait a minute --- what? Hiking for me is going to be annoying because some other hiker is writing a book? ...Huh?
    Yeah, you'll have to listen to 8 hikers in their solo tent talking to their video cameras in camp. "Jefals here, reporting from the trail.."
    It's interesting how many people think their whole journey is video-worthy. But at the same time, enough people watch, so seems to be a good match

I see this on trails a lot, but it doesn't really annoy me much in the backcountry because people are doing their own thing with enough respect usually

“... one day, without warning, the drones began to shoot back.”
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Hikingjim View Post
    Yeah, you'll have to listen to 8 hikers in their solo tent talking to their video cameras in camp. "Jefals here, reporting from the trail.."
    It's interesting how many people think their whole journey is video-worthy. But at the same time, enough people watch, so seems to be a good match
    I see this on trails a lot, but it doesn't really annoy me much in the backcountry because people are doing their own thing with enough respect usually
    Lake Wobegon, where every child is above average, every hiker's experience is profound, every gear company is supposed to shower you with 'sponsored' gear, and where everyone gives a crap.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++