WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Uh oh.... the Catskill, Adirondacks, Green and White mountains are my primary camping opportunities (I'm not LD or thru type) - I personally don't notice much difference in the woods of the Northeast, but I am admittedly looking with eye toward tent spots. Are you guys implying there were more tenting than hanging opportunities in VT? I certainly don't want to cut small trees down, but I have no issues with pulling up some ground brush (and do so to clear tent sites).

Scope, I'm not trying to mix up any comparisons - there's only one hammock scenario I'm particularly interested in - and that's the oversized/full-coverage tarp version you mention can match the protection of a tent in the OPs scenario (so still on topic?). Your replies keep giving me hope that the 'hammock set-up weighs about the same or less' than my tent? So assuming I want to maintain that same level of tent protection - my question is can I do so with with a hammock set-up for the same or less weight?

I've already converted over to top quilts for ground sleeping and have a ~45F/1lb and 30F/1.5lb, but the idea of using a lighter weight top quilt is new to me, and would lower weight and bulk from what I expected. Following your example, my quilt pair might be good to try out with my Hennessey again, although would still be ~0.5lbs/1.5L heavier/bulkier than my ground set-up. However, to be fair, in warm weather I imagine I could save 0.5/1L by losing the ground pad/UQ altogether.

I've only previously tried regular ground pads in my hammock - that proved to be unsuccessful/uncomfortable. I know folks rave about hammock comfort, and I'd like to see if I can experience it too. But so far, I've found my ground system awful close to my home bed (nothing to get used to really) while the 'tighter' experience of the hammock is very different and harder to get used to (for me).

As to 'hunkering' - no I don't do it often, but of course when you need to - it's really nice to be able to. Actually, I enjoy my mid's fly's coverage on my long lunch/nap breaks much more often - only takes ~minute or two to set-up/take-down with six stakes and a trekking pole. On windy/chilly shoulder season days it's my wind break to run my alky stove efficiently and minimize windchill, and if the foliage is down, direct sun provides greenhouse warmth (I get chilly when I stop hiking). During black fly season you can expect a cloud to form anytime you stop moving, but they're no bother under my fly, as long as I have ~80% coverage and a large peak vent. Still testing mosquito effectiveness, and it's been promising, but there's been bad drought conditions where I've been the last couple years.

Tent spots are also a littler more difficult to find. In New Hampshire and Maine, tenting sites more often than not have platforms on which to pitch your tent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++