WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Costco down throw

Quick review, at Costco they are selling a 60x72 700 fill down blanket. I sorry I don't have my postal scale put very light. 4x4 squares stitched through. Would make a nice summer quilt. Probably could sleep in it till about 40* with no issues. And only twenty bucks.

Journeyman Journeyer
    Images

There is a lot of diy information on these over at hammockforums. They are great low cost quilts. Most people remove the quilting stitches in one direction to get rid of the "squares". It causes the quilt to loft better and cuts down on cold coming through the stiching.

These come out often. I have one the same dimensions. Mine's more like 55f, then it's cold. Not much fill, small square baffles
    Serves a purpose sometimes though

I bought one last year and used it on my section in Maine this summer. The nights were cooler than usual for July and I was cold. I'm planning to line it with a thin fleece blanket for my next section and see how that works. If I still get cold, I'll be going back to a sleeping bag.

I'm telling y'all, the Ikea Tilkort twin polyester comforters are extraordinarily comfortable, much warmer and more appropriately sized than the Costco Quilts (i.e. they work well for my 6'4" body) and mine weighed in right at 2 lbs. No, they're not high end down, they're cheep-ass ($14.99) glaring white, soft fluffy comforters that are 100% polyester, and quite comfortable down into the high 40's for me.

Did I mention they are comfy? Something about that polyester instead of nylon next to skin is really silky smooth by comparison.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

The CDT's are great for mild weather. I'm a warm sleeper and would be confident with it down to 50 or so but not much less. Good value for what they are IMO.

How do they compress, are they comparable to a quilt, what size?

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    They compress really well. I don't have the specs handy, but maybe tomorrow I'll get mine out and measure it, take some pics if no one else has given the info.

I would say that if you're over 6' or so it might be a little short. I'm 5'11" and it's just enough.

As mentioned above there are a bunch of different mods over at hammock forums, all the way from the complicated sewing kind to simple no-sew hacks to make it more user friendly for camping, specifically hammock camping but a hammock TQ and ground TQ are similar.

Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    They compress really well. I don't have the specs handy, but maybe tomorrow I'll get mine out and measure it, take some pics if no one else has given the info.

I would say that if you're over 6' or so it might be a little short. I'm 5'11" and it's just enough.

As mentioned above there are a bunch of different mods over at hammock forums, all the way from the complicated sewing kind to simple no-sew hacks to make it more user friendly for camping, specifically hammock camping but a hammock TQ and ground TQ are similar.
    thanks for the reply.

I looked it up on ikea
    package size is listed as 6 inch diameter x 18-1/2 inch long, 2 pounds 3 oz
    I'm guessing it wouldn't be normal to expect packing it down that small, but at least that's what they get at the factory.
    Looks like an interesting low cost option for sure. But at that price I'll probably pick one up next time I'm there just to try. Thanks for the tip!
    For the size and weight though, I wish your reported temp rating was a bit lower.... because I already have my BA Kings Canyon quilt good down to upper 40's at half the weight. I need something for a bit colder temps....

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    If you meant the CDT, mine takes up 4.3L in its stuff sack. 14cm diameter, 28cm length (5.5" x 11"). It could be compressed further, I suspect, in a different sack. Weight = 458g / 16.2 oz. Size = 60" x 70"

so the costco throw is half the weight of the Ikea option and maybe twice the volume..... maybe..... just based on that packaging info I found.... Still at $15 it seem like a nice option too

Quote Originally Posted by cspan View Post
    If you meant the CDT, mine takes up 4.3L in its stuff sack. 14cm diameter, 28cm length (5.5" x 11"). It could be compressed further, I suspect, in a different sack. Weight = 458g / 16.2 oz. Size = 60" x 70"
    thats pretty darn small, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    . . . I wish your reported temp rating was a bit lower.... because I already have my BA Kings Canyon quilt good down to upper 40's at half the weight. I need something for a bit colder temps....
    I can do that . . . it's good down to -15 degrees F. . . when used in conjunction with my 20 degree bag and my insulated clothing. There, is that better?

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    so the costco throw is half the weight of the Ikea option and maybe twice the volume..... maybe..... just based on that packaging info I found.... Still at $15 it seem like a nice option too
    The Costco throw is probably both 1/2 the packed size and 1/2 the weight, but also maybe about 1/3 less coverage. I would not compress my Ikea comforter down quite as small as the factory on a regular basis, although, obviously you can with a compression sack. I don't think of my Ikea comforter as ultra-light, I think of it as ultra-affordable and highly functional at a very reasonable weight.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Maybe close enough for those without a membership= Kohl's 60x80(but customers say its x70) 650 down $15.99

https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-27...FYSjswodQ4IIhQ

Journeyman Journeyer
    Images

You don't need a membership to buy these from Costco. They are available online from them without a membership. May cost a few more dollars, can't remember.

Current offer seems to be a 2 pack for $39.99 plus $7.99 shipping...Kohls will ship to local store free. My local store is 1.5 miles, Costco 30 miles. YMMV
    Other than the listed fill weight, they appear identical.

Quote Originally Posted by grubbster View Post
    You don't need a membership to buy these from Costco. They are available online from them without a membership. May cost a few more dollars, can't remember.

I took a few pics. Measurements were posted already so i didn't bother, but I did show the packed size and compressibility, somewhat. Pics aren't great but you get the point. HTH!

Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    I took a few pics. Measurements were posted already so i didn't bother, but I did show the packed size and compressibility, somewhat. Pics aren't great but you get the point. HTH!

thanks again

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++