Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default only 6 weeks on the PCT in Summer 2018

Good morning.

After much negotiation, the wife has granted me 6 weeks on the PCT next year (2018). I am hoping to cover around 700-750 miles so my question is...

What section of the PCT should I attempt?

I have heard the Sierras are spectacular, so one consideration was Walker Pass to Belden/Burnley.

Clearly the logistics of getting to the trailhead and back to civilisation is a consideration. Any nuggets of PCT wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Images

Is it your choice of any six weeks or is it a specific six weeks? Also, are you hoping to section hike the entire trail or just cherry pick? Finally, are you open to non-PCT trails well for a portion?
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Depends when you want to or can go. If you want to hike desert, 6 weeks is a good pace from the southern Terminus to Kennedy Meadows, and I hear Washington is nice (6 weeks for all of WA might be reasonable).

There's the John Muir trail that runs near/along the PCT as well through the Sierra, although that requires separate permitting.

Its basically July and first two weeks of August. Am meeting my family after for a vacation.

I would like to do a section of the PCT and come back some other time and do more.

John Muir Section sounds good.

Images

Here is my suggestion, the great Sierra walkabout.
    Start near Tahoe on the Tahoe Rim Trail and head CCW until you hit the PCT in Desolation. PCT south through the Sierra to Kennedy Meadows resupplying at South Lake Tahoe, Kennedy Meadows North, Tuolumne Meadows, Reds Meadows, MTR and Kennedy Meadows South. then I would head right back to Tahoe using a different route, possibly even the Sierra High Route back to Tahoe Rim Trail or stop at any point between Kennedy Meadows and Tahoe. there are buses that travel up the east side of the Sierra getting you back to Reno which is where I would start and finish.

THere are dozens of side trips including Yosemite Valley, Whitney and hundreds of miles of trails. You would have a check on permitting since this crosses multiple jurisdictions, generally you are permitted at the start location.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

This is very interesting.
    At some point, or points, you will need a bear canister.
    Have fun!
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Wow, Thanks everyone.

I wasn't really considering a circular route. But its a good idea. Yes bear canister. I told my wife and daughter about those. We don't get too many bears in Oxford, so its a novelty. We saw "The Revenant" the other day which didn't help my case to hike the PCT.

Don't worry about bears. They'll either ignore you or run away. The use of bear canisters has been very effective. If you want to worry about something, worry about something real. Like lightning, or rockfall.

Quote Originally Posted by Streety View Post
    Wow, Thanks everyone.

I wasn't really considering a circular route. But its a good idea. Yes bear canister. I told my wife and daughter about those. We don't get too many bears in Oxford, so its a novelty. We saw "The Revenant" the other day which didn't help my case to hike the PCT.
    Just an FYI...the actual story of Hugh Glass was in South Dakota, in summer, not in the mountains in winter...so nothing to worry about there!!!

Wow, Thanks everyone.

... We saw "The Revenant" the other day which didn't help my case to hike the PCT.
    You should also watch the first version of the story as well. Richard Harris in "Man in the Wilderness".
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeJp7cvcpwg
    Have a great trip!
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

I get the impression if you dropped me anywhere on the PCT I'll be happy. One of the problems with the UK is that we really don't have any 'wilderness' left. Sure in Scotland but even the mountainous parts of Wales have an Ice Cream van at the trailhead.

Actually I am not worried about bears, or creepy crawlies or rattle snakes, however river crossings and being soaking wet for days will be new to me.

Many thanks for the comments.

Coming from the NE US (where we have similar terrain, weather, animals, etc. as the UK) I was really blown away by the desert. So different. Very enjoyable.

Consider hopping around - 2 weeks here, 2 weeks there, etc. Travel in the US isn't that hard, you'll just need to hitchhike to a real town to catch a bus, etc.

Images

When I hiked the PCT in 08 I had two nephews' weddings to add to my itinerary. I found a way to use public transport to get to Walker Pass with only a short hitch from Onyx. Not sure if all bus lines are still running. Can't help you at the other end, but I imagine it would be possible to get a hitch or local bus from Belden toward Portland OR for a flight back.

From my journal, although you'll probably want to start out mid-June not late May:

May 28,2008: Everything went smoothly and exactly according to plan. I left from home at about 4:45am, that's 1:45am Pacific time. Fortunately I napped a lot on the segment of the flight from Chicago-Midway to LA. The flight arrived 15 minutes late so the slack time I built in for that and for getting my checked pack was handy.I caught the "Flyaway" shuttle from LAX to Union Station downtown. Then a taxi delivered me to the Greyhound station. I figured the 2:10pm bus to Bakersfield would be gone, as we reached the station about 2:15pm, so I got a ticket for the 3:10pm bus. Fortunately, the 2:10pm bus left late and they honored my ticket for the later bus. A good thing too, as the later bus did not make the next connection.
    At Bakersfield I had about 20 minutes before the Kern Area Transit bus arrived. When it did RockSitter stepped off. As I greeted him, he told me he was getting off the trail.
    The ride up the Kern River canyon was spectacular, with mountains rising steeply on both sides. Beside and below the road, the Kern River crashed through boulders. Per signs, the river has claimed over 250 lives, presumably among rafters and kayakers. As we climbed, I looked for potential fords and saw none.
    At the end of the trip, the driver told me to stay on the bus and dropped me right at my very humble, somewhat overpriced abode, the Kern Motel---shades of the fifties! I arrived at about 6pm, ending about 15 hours of travel.

May 29, 2008:

I was first in line when the post office opened and got my bounce bucket (literally a 5-gallon Home Depot paint bucket) that I send ahead with extra items I don't want/need to carry. My travel clothes and pack duffel along with some extra food and maps went into it. I got out new contact lenses, a bandana, and my pack cover. I then sent it ahead to Mammoth Lakes where I will resupply and probably take a zero.
    That done I headed over to the library but it didn't open until 10am so I sent my pocketmail using the pay phone there then read my book. At 10am I used the internet and posted yesterday's trail journal then walked over to the bus stop to wait for the bus that took me to Onyx, about halfway to the trailhead at Walker Pass. I then hitched and before long Anthony Stone gave me a ride.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

[QUOTE=Streety;217682however river crossings and being soaking wet for days will be new to me.[/QUOTE]

Where my wife is from in Yorkshire, if it's sunny for three days in a row, they start issuing drought warnings. That's an exaggeration of course but, by and large, the Brits know how to handle wet weather.

True, Brits are obsessed with the weather because we have way too much of it. Saying that I rarely wade through swollen rivers for fun chief.

Looks like the missus is gonna let me walk the bloody lot anyway. So it will be a Campo start. Yippe Ki Aye

True, Brits are obsessed with the weather because we have way too much of it. Saying that I rarely wade through swollen rivers for fun chief.

Looks like the missus is gonna let me walk the bloody lot anyway. So it will be a Campo start. Yippe Ki Aye
    You are now planning to hike the entire PCT? In 2018? Read the PCTA Permit application page.
    Good luck!
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For a good idea of what you're in for the Wilderness Press guidebooks are a good resource:
    http://pct.wildernesspress.com/the-books/

Images

Just as an aside....

On our recent journey (this last September) along the Sierra High route, which touches down in a few places along the John Muir trail (the PCT), we met a delightful British lady, a Mary Colwell, who had written a biography about a fellow countryman of yours (sort of, actually from Scotland), none other then John Muir himself.

https://www.amazon.com/John-Muir-Sav.../dp/0745956661

Anyway, we had a nice long chat with Mary at a camp near the Bishop pass trail junction. Check out that book if you want to learn more about one of our great hero's !

Mary might have said she was from Oxford, but my memory cannot be trusted...

And finally, our favorite Pub in Oxford (well, the only one we actually visited), and no, we did not inhale....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ahh, The Turf tavern, hidden down the side streets from the old colleges. I never inhaled either. They serve a nice pint there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++