WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by El JP View Post
    This is something that i've been meaning to ask for a very long time.

Everywhere you look there is mention of top of the line gear that to be frank, costs a hell of a lot of money if you are an ordinary working class joe blow. I'd like to see the opinions of experienced folks on having a setup that is not exactly top notch.

I'll be the first to admit that i'm cutting it pretty close when it comes to an AT thru hike. My basic outlook is a combination of a long ago military service and a few years of homelessness where i got used to coping with a rather substandard everyday existence. The gear i've secured so far and what i'm looking at for the near future basically falls into the "sorta good enough" category. For example i have a Timberline2 tent brand new in the box since i was able to pick it up for peanuts last year. Also picked up Pinnacle poles for dirt cheap. I'm still waiting to pick up a sleeping bag and actual trail clothes but like i mentioned before, you can bet they aren't going to be top shelf material.

I have a checklist made out and i'm covering the core equipment but to be brutally honest, i do anticipate at some point(hopefully early on the trail) scrounging better quality discarded gear of sorts. I'm doing what i can moneywise but things are really tight around the homefront and 2018 is beckoning.
    Buy Used! People tend to forget that. Just Google, there are several sources. Also I remember Dixie has done more than one “cheap gear” video, and the My Life Outdoors guy has as well.

Quote Originally Posted by El JP View Post
    This is something that i've been meaning to ask for a very long time.

Everywhere you look there is mention of top of the line gear that to be frank, costs a hell of a lot of money if you are an ordinary working class joe blow. I'd like to see the opinions of experienced folks on having a setup that is not exactly top notch.

I'll be the first to admit that i'm cutting it pretty close when it comes to an AT thru hike. My basic outlook is a combination of a long ago military service and a few years of homelessness where i got used to coping with a rather substandard everyday existence. The gear i've secured so far and what i'm looking at for the near future basically falls into the "sorta good enough" category. For example i have a Timberline2 tent brand new in the box since i was able to pick it up for peanuts last year. Also picked up Pinnacle poles for dirt cheap. I'm still waiting to pick up a sleeping bag and actual trail clothes but like i mentioned before, you can bet they aren't going to be top shelf material.

I have a checklist made out and i'm covering the core equipment but to be brutally honest, i do anticipate at some point(hopefully early on the trail) scrounging better quality discarded gear of sorts. I'm doing what i can moneywise but things are really tight around the homefront and 2018 is beckoning.
    https://youtu.be/FQRBe1kcaY4?si=GBMITV4gDPlbaDt_

I don't know that this would survive a thru, but I made one and spent about 50 nights under it before I pulled the trigger on a silnylon tarp from etowah outfitters, also a good cheapish shelter option. The plastic MYOG tarp is still serviceable, although I duct taped a couple of pin holes. Cheap amazon stoves have done fine for me. I hiked for years in $40 New Balance trail runners (the cheapest model) with a $50 set of superfeet insoles that outlasted 5 sets of the shoes ha. YMMV. Closed cell foam pads do a job insulation wise, but they're hard on me, especially in shelters, the older I get. I like walmart athletic tops to hike in fine still yet. I recommend focusing your spending on sleeping bag and pack if you can. I hope this helps and good luck.

I've always kept it cheap.
    I have a used Gatewood cape, chinese tarps, a homemade tarp, and a rivercountry products tent.
    My roll top pack is Chinese as well.
    Heck, my most expensive piece of hear are my Hoka trail runners.

Images

So did el Jp hike some AT in 18’ or later?

I’ve gotten hundreds of miles from Palacial 1lb blue tarps. And 10$ ul book bags.

Images

To answer my question, search shows he did get on trail.
    But cut short on medical he’s working on.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++