WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    Hate Speech is Free Speech that is racially motivated. As well, Hate Crime Is a Crime, but is directed towards a particular class or group of people and or racially motivated.
    Not quite sure what you're trying to say.
    But hate speech is not protected under the 1st amendment, freedom of speech/press.
    Hate crime considers the particularly depraved motivation of the criminal.
    Millions of examples of each.

hate speech! The speech is protected. But the hatred is not. You have a right to yell at me for walking down the street wearing a skirt. (even though it's a very tasteful blue/grey with printed pineapples) but you don't have a right to threaten me harm.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryM View Post
    Could you also help me out with what was said.
    Find a night school near you. Enroll without delay.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Quote Originally Posted by firesign View Post
    People offended by words in this supersensitive world. Freedom to say what you want when you want has gone and it will never return. The day when the people really need a voice....there will be hushed silence because the laws will protect the system/govt again critical language. Freedom of speech - Dead.

Without Freedom of speech, there is no freedom of expression; not the full spectrum of a discussion or debate. Instead we tippy-toe around not wanting to offend some over-sensitive soul.

People use words, the use of which now have to be protected by laws, to protect people from being offended! People can choose NOT to be offended by the words used by others because we can turn the other cheek and ignore the offending individual.

Apologies that my opinion may differ from others, Best to all.
    "We're gonna come find you later".
    "You better be careful when you're walking around town, you jew ****"
    "Don't forget we know where you're (inaudible, sounded like 'living')"

Harassment and threats are not "free speech", they're a crime and often a precursor to further violence.

Would you want to be in strange place, far from home, by yourself, with heavily intoxicated and racist(against you) locals who are openly expressing that they plan on attacking you later? Imagine going to the police station and the officer just shruggs his shoulders and says "free speech bro".

They have the right to say all the racist things they want, as well as to deny service at their restaurant, but they took it further.

My question to you is:
    Really? You're going to pick a video where two people are telling someone they want him to burn in an oven like his ancestors, and that they're going to come find him later, and one either hits him or tries to break his camera, to go off on a "toughen up" rant to?

The two guys in this video did not get arrested for "offending an over-sensitive soul", you clearly have some other political intentions you're trying to impose on this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    Hate Speech is Free Speech that is racially motivated. As well, Hate Crime Is a Crime, but is directed towards a particular class or group of people and or racially motivated.
    While I agree in principle, to an extent, "hate speech" has never really been defined and is largely colloquial. That said, as someone has pointed out, making threats that could be construed as terroristic certainly bring this into the legal realm, not to mention the out-right assault.

As much as people opine the South, anti-semitism isn't something I've found as pervasive as using something like the "N" word. I've lived all over the South, grew up here, and anti-Jewish rhetoric was just not part of my life and those I grew up with. This despite living in some seriously backwoods areas.

According to post #65, both were charged with Disorderly Conduct, and one also charged with Assualt and Battery. Both charges are class 1 misdemeanors. Were there any other charges?

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    According to post #65, both were charged with Disorderly Conduct, and one also charged with Assualt and Battery. Both charges are class 1 misdemeanors. Were there any other charges?
    If you are really interested, the Washington County, VA General District Court website will have that information and more.

KILLIAN, HENRY OSCAR 02/01/2013 09:00 AM NO DRIVERS LICENSE
    GC12017572-00 KILLIAN, HENRY OSCAR; II 12/05/2012 09:00 AM FUGITIVE W/ FELONY ARREST
    GC12017573-00 KILLIAN, HENRY OSCAR; II 10/26/2012 09:00 AM PUBLIC SWEARING/INTOXICATION
    GC15014729-00 KILLIAN, HENRY OSCAR; II 02/17/2016 09:00 AM DWI, 2ND Mark For Payment
    PAST DUE
    GC15014731-00 KILLIAN, HENRY OSCAR; II 03/02/2016 09:00 AM REFUSE BREATH TEST 2ND OFF
    GC16015085-00 KILLIAN, HENRY OSCAR; II 12/02/2016 09:30 AM PUBLIC SWEARING/INTOXICATION Mark For Payment
    PAST DUE
    GC17020851-00 KILLIAN, HENRY OSCAR; II 11/15/2017 01:30 PM DISORDERLY CONDUCT
    GT15014732-00 KILLIAN, HENRY OSCAR; II 02/17/2016 09:00 AM NO DRIVERS LICENSE
    GT15014733-00 KILLIAN, HENRY OSCAR; II 02/17/2016 09:00 AM 37/25 SP Mark For Payment
    PAST DUE
    GT07007525-00 KILLIAN, JOHN DONALD; III 05/22/2007 01:30 PM 80/65 SP Mark For Payment
    PAST DUE
    GT14007351-00 KILLIAN, JOHN DWAYNE 06/27/2014 08:30 AM 80/70 SP
    GC17020849-00 KILLIAN, JOSEPH EPHRIAM 11/15/2017 01:30 PM ASSAULT: (MISDEMEANOR)
    GC17020850-00 KILLIAN, JOSEPH EPHRIAM 11/15/2017 01:30 PM DISORDERLY CONDUCT

Images

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    But hate speech is not protected under the 1st amendment, freedom of speech/press.
    this notion has gotten a lot of play and talk lately, but it is patently false. look it up. there are NO LAWS AGAINST "HATE SPEECH" ANYWHERE IN THE UNITED STATES.

in fact, when and where attempts have been made to create such laws they have routinely and universally been thrown out by the first court to rule on them. its not even close or debatable.

these days the "you can't incite violence" thing gets brought into it. its not as simple as youd like to make it sound though. when a person hears speech and reacts violently it is entirely overly simplistic to say it is the speech's fault.

if someone on the train overhears me talking about how much i love the yankees and punches me because he is red sox fan my speech incited violence? that is essentially what is happening the world today. people are not liking things they are hearing so theyre beating up the speakers or causing unrest and its being blamed on the person speaking rather than those who act violently.

its a sad and frightening state of affairs. and you, and a few others here, have bought into it i'm afraid.

this thread should be shut down, i dont know why it has not been. i frankly dont know why it was ever opened. it has nothing to do with hiking.

Images

talk all of 30 seconds googling.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.d00220fb9501

c'mon people, not even kagan, ginsberg and sotomayor want to take your side, thank god.

I too made the mistake of asking what happened before the video started and found out the following about myself according to some Facebook users

1. I am an anti-Semitic sexist piece of ****
    2. I am a bigot
    3. I am ignorant
    4. I am not a Nazi, but a Nazi sympathizer
    5. I am a Nazi

Those are just the top five things I found out about myself from other hikers when I asked the question what was the whole story regarding the Hey Joes incident

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieDust66 View Post
    I too made the mistake of asking what happened before the video started and found out the following about myself according to some Facebook users

1. I am an anti-Semitic sexist piece of ****
    2. I am a bigot
    3. I am ignorant
    4. I am not a Nazi, but a Nazi sympathizer
    5. I am a Nazi

Those are just the top five things I found out about myself from other hikers when I asked the question what was the whole story regarding the Hey Joes incident

We ask that folks not drag problems/arguments from other websites onto WB. There are all kinds of access issues regarding FB that prevent a rounded discussion--closed groups and privacy settings in particular.

Thank you.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    this notion has gotten a lot of play and talk lately, but it is patently false. look it up. there are NO LAWS AGAINST "HATE SPEECH" ANYWHERE IN THE UNITED STATES.

in fact, when and where attempts have been made to create such laws they have routinely and universally been thrown out by the first court to rule on them. its not even close or debatable.

these days the "you can't incite violence" thing gets brought into it. its not as simple as youd like to make it sound though. when a person hears speech and reacts violently it is entirely overly simplistic to say it is the speech's fault.

if someone on the train overhears me talking about how much i love the yankees and punches me because he is red sox fan my speech incited violence? that is essentially what is happening the world today. people are not liking things they are hearing so theyre beating up the speakers or causing unrest and its being blamed on the person speaking rather than those who act violently.

its a sad and frightening state of affairs. and you, and a few others here, have bought into it i'm afraid.

this thread should be shut down, i dont know why it has not been. i frankly dont know why it was ever opened. it has nothing to do with hiking.
    so by your standards let say you make a statement about bringing harm to the commander and chief, how long do you think it is before you get detained? Post 911 and under the patriot act
    You don’t have as many rights as you may think.

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    We ask that folks not drag problems/arguments from other websites onto WB. There are all kinds of access issues regarding FB that prevent a rounded discussion--closed groups and privacy settings in particular.

Thank you.
    Sorry. Didn’t mean drag anything into this forum. Just making the point hikers in other forums don’t want everyone to know what happened before the video started just as some hikers in this forum don’t want you to know.

I don’t understand why some are afraid of the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by dudeijuststarted View Post
    ...getting my popcorn. buckle in folks.
    Boy, were you right.

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide View Post
    <snip>Blatant Nazi Propaganda</snip>
    This kind of garbage does not belong in a civilized society. Welcome to my ignore list.

ps: for those of you who don't know, surrounding a word in three sets of parens, like (((they))) is a way for a Nazi like RollTide to hide that fact from others when talking about people of Jewish ancestry. My grandfather's B17 was shot down while fighting Nazi bastards during WWII, and I will not stand idly by while these bastards spread their filth across the internet today.

Quote Originally Posted by Montana View Post
    This kind of garbage does not belong in a civilized society. Welcome to my ignore list.

ps: for those of you who don't know, surrounding a word in three sets of parens, like (((they))) is a way for a Nazi like RollTide to hide that fact from others when talking about people of Jewish ancestry. My grandfather's B17 was shot down while fighting Nazi bastards during WWII, and I will not stand idly by while these bastards spread their filth across the internet today.
    Anti-Semitism has no place on the trail, and no place here on Whiteblaze.net either. The post referenced by Montana was removed. Normally, we remove posts that reference a deleted post, they are collateral damage. We do that so that the issue is not perpetuated. I am leaving Montana's post up because I applaud and agree with his words and I am grateful for his grandfather's service. I was also unaware of this convention of using three sets of parentheses and perhaps others are too.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i can confirm the 2 scumbags are the owners
    They must be independently wealthy if they think they can treat the public like that.

Quote Originally Posted by kibs View Post
    They must be independently wealthy if they think they can treat the public like that.
    the actual owner is the father of the 2 perps

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    so by your standards let say you make a statement about bringing harm to the commander and chief, how long do you think it is before you get detained? Post 911 and under the patriot act
    You don’t have as many rights as you may think.
    thanks for the PM, I’ll look into it. If I’m wrong I wanna know.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
++ New Posts ++