WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Rip stop by the roll Foliage co

Can anyone who has bought the foliage color describe it? On their website it looks like a light greenish grey? More green than grey... Is that accurate or about right? I know that I can order swatches but I don't really have time to wait for them since I'd like to order my material and get my project started.

That's about right....Foliage Green is the light grey green color you see on the Army digital camo (UCP) and Air Force digital tiger stripe camo, and is the official matching solid color for those camo patterns. Some thread and webbing manufacturers call it castor grey, but it's the same color as foliage green. The Army is phasing that camo and color out of use, as it didn't work in any of the current war zones, making the troops stand out instead of concealing them. The Army is switching to the Multicam pattern, who's official matching solid color is called coyote 499---kind of a light tan color.
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and field in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul.--Fred Bear

www.misadventuregear.com

Quote Originally Posted by Maui Rhino View Post
    That's about right....Foliage Green is the light grey green color you see on the Army digital camo (UCP) and Air Force digital tiger stripe camo, and is the official matching solid color for those camo patterns. Some thread and webbing manufacturers call it castor grey, but it's the same color as foliage green. The Army is phasing that camo and color out of use, as it didn't work in any of the current war zones, making the troops stand out instead of concealing them. The Army is switching to the Multicam pattern, who's official matching solid color is called coyote 499---kind of a light tan color.
    Thanks. How do you suppose that would go with charcoal grey as the contrasting color? I started with blaze orange as my pack body choice but can't chose something that contrasts nicely except black and that's a little too much like Halloween for me. I'm also considering foliage/charcoal grey and charcoal grey/ black. My motivation with the blaze is being visible during hunting season. Want to order my material before the sale ends.

Buy a blaze orange vest and attach it to the backpack during hunting season.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Occunomix...&wl13=&veh=sem
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Buy a blaze orange vest and attach it to the backpack during hunting season.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Occunomix...&wl13=&veh=sem
    Wayne
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I already have one and that's what I do.

Personally, I think the orange/charcoal grey combo would look good..... But that's purely subjective.
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and field in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul.--Fred Bear

www.misadventuregear.com

Quote Originally Posted by Maui Rhino View Post
    Personally, I think the orange/charcoal grey combo would look good..... But that's purely subjective.
    Thanks. You are right about it being subjective. Blaze/charcoal is one of the color combos I'm considering. I decided to order a few swatches so I can better decide. I once had a bullet zip over my head when I was hiking during the first few days of hunting season. I've been more mindful of being visible ever since. Last time I was out hiking in my blaze orange stuff a group of older ladies told me that I was an affront to nature and my extreme orange colors were offensive to them. I pointed out that it was the second day of hunting season and wished them good luck. Got their self righteous attention. So - it's a balancing act I guess. I prefer to blend but also side with living through my backpacking trips without being shot. Unfortunately my favorite time of year for trips coincides with the first week of hunting season when the least skilled and least experienced hunters are out in force.

Im absolutely positive if you contacted them they would settle it once and for all and send you a swatch.

They charge for their swatches as do many of the outdoor fabric suppliers these days. It cost as much as half a yard of fabric I would like to buy. That said, I decided that it was worth it and ordered some swatches yesterday. It's too much work to hand make a backpack to have it looking bad when it's completed.

Quote Originally Posted by litetrek View Post
    They charge for their swatches as do many of the outdoor fabric suppliers these days. It cost as much as half a yard of fabric I would like to buy. That said, I decided that it was worth it and ordered some swatches yesterday. It's too much work to hand make a backpack to have it looking bad when it's completed.
    You asked them, or thats what you decided on your own?

Quote Originally Posted by scrabbler View Post
    You asked them, or thats what you decided on your own?
    The material I want (hyperD 300) is sold only by ripstopbytheroll and they sell swatches. $5.00 gets you 4 samples - shipping included. Check it out. If you want samples they are available for a price. I can buy material from places that will send me free swatches, but not the material I wanted. Irrelevant now, though, since I've already ordered them.

It's not just the color, but the sheen plays an important role in perception as well. I made an 11' hammock from Robic 1.2 with matching Bishop Bag, in foliage. I like it.

From Kyles post on HF:

"ROBIC yarn is what's called a "bright" yarn and that's what gives it the luster. The raised hybrid grid contributes the shimmer as well."
    "Everyone that sees the foliage in person seems to love it. It's essentially charcoal gray with a drop of muted green."

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=1#post1803232

Here's a link to the HF thread on the 1.2 hybrid- I put a few pics up side by side with some of those. But the 1.2 'flashes' much more than the HyperD300 does. (What squidmark is talking about).

So the HyperD300 version I would think is pretty flat.

IT IS NOT a sage green like color as he has posted, it is much darker. Almost hard to tell even next to the charcoal grey. It's a subtle blend of Charcoal grey and dark olive.

I wouldn't say it's a bad color or disappointing... but the lighter sage green was what I was hoping for as a contrasting color to use against dark olive or a brown.

You got swatches on the way but... charcoal and foilage (at least in the 1.2 are not good contrasting colors.

If you wanted a bit of orange...
    Dark olive and coyote brown contrast nicely in my opinion.

I'm really liking the olive yellow (like a spring green) with brown or dark olive. That's my current favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=1#post1803232

Here's a link to the HF thread on the 1.2 hybrid- I put a few pics up side by side with some of those. But the 1.2 'flashes' much more than the HyperD300 does. (What squidmark is talking about).

So the HyperD300 version I would think is pretty flat.

IT IS NOT a sage green like color as he has posted, it is much darker. Almost hard to tell even next to the charcoal grey. It's a subtle blend of Charcoal grey and dark olive.

I wouldn't say it's a bad color or disappointing... but the lighter sage green was what I was hoping for as a contrasting color to use against dark olive or a brown.

You got swatches on the way but... charcoal and foilage (at least in the 1.2 are not good contrasting colors.

If you wanted a bit of orange...
    Dark olive and coyote brown contrast nicely in my opinion.

I'm really liking the olive yellow (like a spring green) with brown or dark olive. That's my current favorite.
    I like the olive yellow too. I'm making a pack with a big mesh pouch in the front which will most likely be black (i've seen the mesh in dark grey somewhere but can't remember who has that material). The hipbelt I have is black and the shoulder straps I already have are black and charcoal gray. I'm trying to pick some pack colors that tie everything together and look professional. I probably should have ordered samples of all of the hyperD 300 colors instead of the few I ordered since I've already changed my mind a couple of times. I've bought at least half a dozen packs over my backpacking years and never thought much about the color. I guess its a bigger deal when you're making it.

Yar... colors are tough. Easier when you don't have the option sometimes, lol.
    HyperD300 is one you can watch in the remnant bin too and pick up pack material.

Blacks and charcoals... Moroccan blue is very sharp with those. Really the only option in my opinion unless you want to go with red or Burnt Orange.
    I don't think I'd do a pack in a loud color for personal use.
    I'm liking the Olive Yellow and Burnt Orange in hammocks... but prefer more subdued colors in things folks see when I have the choice. Dark colors hide the dirt better too.

Generally- I do greys, blacks, blues together. (less popular) And the earth tone combos (most popular).
    In the hammocks it's nice to have a splash of bright to help sort stuff out and find it at night. For those the olive yellow or Burnt orange really pops against the Coyote Brown, Dark Olive, or Foliage.

If I remember right- Quest had some of the grey mesh but it was a hit and miss thing. Finding good stretch mesh for packs is hit or miss in general for DIY still.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Yar... colors are tough. Easier when you don't have the option sometimes, lol.
    If I remember right- Quest had some of the grey mesh but it was a hit and miss thing. Finding good stretch mesh for packs is hit or miss in general for DIY still.
    My plan is a divers mesh pouch on the front of the pack. I'm not a big fan of stretch mesh. Its OK but it snags on stuff and I hike in the Cohutta wilderness frequently - lightly used ungroomed trails with plenty of blow downs. I've gotten by with the small amount of stretch mesh on my "bought" packs, but the large pocket I'm putting on my project pack won't last long where I like to hike.

++ New Posts ++