WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Journal Entries

Shuttle tip...is whatever is leftover after paying with bill denominations in my pocket
    I decline change

Might be $4, - $18

Im usually packing just $20's.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-20-2017 at 22:20.

We had a driver pick us up at our motel at 6AM,drive us to WalMart ,wait ten minutes while we snatched a quick resupply. He then drove us about 5 miles to the trailhead,and said the rate was 15.00. He got 30,and I still think it was a bargain.

We usually gain information and insight on the trail and the surrounding towns from our shuttle drivers. Even if not, the stories are usually entertaining enough to warrant a tip.

We are appreciative of the service they offer and are glad to let them know it.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by taylorshiver View Post
    This makes sense. I was just trying to get an idea for a shuttle cost from Neels Gap (leaving car) to Amicalola Falls to start, and it was $80 for both of us. I could pretty much take a 2nd vehicle and cover gas all the way from South GA round trip.
    Gas, insurance, and maintenance aside, the time the driver takes to come to me, the time the driver takes to drive me from A to B, and then the time the driver takes to get back to where they came from - it all adds up. I know what I charge for my time, and if I were to pay a driver a similar amount of money, then add the operating costs, the fees of around $80 to $100 don't seem like much money at all.

If the driver takes the extra time to stop so I can grab a coffee or breakfast sandwich or whatever, then yes, I will reflect my appreciation in the form of a tip.

I am self employed. If I give a customer a price for a job, that's what I expect to be paid. No more, no less. If they start adding things to the list of duties I am to perform after our agreement was made, should the quoted price remain the same?
    That's the way I look at things.

Images

When I'm on vacation I utilize the local services. It isn't a very lucrative occupation, and I am on vacation. Tipping shouldn't break your budget.

when i shuttle folks i give them a price. don't insult me with extra tip money

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    when i shuttle folks i give them a price. don't insult me with extra tip money
    If you ever shuttle me, I'm leaving you whiskey as a gratuity.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++