WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Short men, pack fit??

I'm 5'1", any other short guys out there? Do you look for men's or women's backpacks?

ZPacks has a new "Scout" model with a shorter frame specifically for someone your height.

You could also consider a pack sized for kids. IF it fits right, it does not matter who it is primarily marketed to. Se your local REI and ask the sales person about their personal experience. Do not be afraid to ask for someone better qualified to serve you.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I think it depends on your measured torso length more so than your height. I am 5'3" with a 19.5" torso length and have successfully used men's packs. Specifically, the Osprey Atmos 50 and 60 a couple years back and am currently using SMD Fusion 50 and 60 packs.

Should have said Day Pack (so specifically looking for a 25-40L pack). Thanks for comments so far. I'm going to REI tomorrow so they can measure me. I'm waiting til I get some of my stuff before I buy.

Quote Originally Posted by PAHiker View Post
    I think it depends on your measured torso length more so than your height. I am 5'3" with a 19.5" torso length and have successfully used men's packs.
    Oh, definitely go by torso length rather than height. At 5'7" I still qualify as short, but the shortness is in my stubby legs. My torso length of 21½" means I fit Large size packs.

Quote Originally Posted by PAHiker View Post
    . . . it depends on your measured torso length more so than your height. I am 5'3" with a 19.5" torso. . .
    Quote Originally Posted by DownEaster View Post
    . . . At 5'7" I still qualify as short, but the shortness is in my stubby legs. My torso length of 21½" means I fit Large size packs.
    And I'm 6'4" and have a 20" torso.

For day packs, it doesn't matter so much unless you are carrying a day pack with so much weight that you are also using a hip belt, yuck.

For backpacks, if you have a frustratingly short torso, kids' packs, women's packs, and many of the Deuter backpacks all fit shorter torsos well regardless of gender or age. However, some of the kids' and women's packs don't fit thicker men's chests and shoulders so well. In which case, of the packs I'm familiar with, I would check out the Deuter packs.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    And I'm 6'4" and have a 20" torso.

For day packs, it doesn't matter so much unless you are carrying a day pack with so much weight that you are also using a hip belt, yuck.

For backpacks, if you have a frustratingly short torso, kids' packs, women's packs, and many of the Deuter backpacks all fit shorter torsos well regardless of gender or age. However, some of the kids' and women's packs don't fit thicker men's chests and shoulders so well. In which case, of the packs I'm familiar with, I would check out the Deuter packs.

The Osprey Daylite works fine for a small daypack (13L). Not going to work for an upcoming trip, and really straining my needs, going on longer hikes. It's not too adequate for an all day hike. But sufficient for 2-3 hours.

Good info. I looked at the Deuter fox (kid's pack) online. Nice pack, seems small adults use it, but the width is pretty small to fit a sleeping bag. So seems maybe the adult version will work. I'm sure I have a short torso (not yet gone to REI), but I have more thicker shoulders than a gal, a stomach, and no hips or butt.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ505 View Post
    . . . I looked at the Deuter fox (kid's pack) . . .
    I was actually thinking about the Deuter adult packs that adjust down to be able to fit kids pretty well with lots of room to grow. With adult male proportions, I can imagine lots of shape/size issues with trying to make a women's or kid's pack work.

Good luck.

@nsherry--I was at REI today. My torso is very small at 16 1/2". The only really adjustable Deuter they had was one that was a 45L+10. Seems huge for my needs. Too bad. Was going to sport the flower. LOL! The Gregory Jade 38, women's, works. Is on the pricey side.

I bought an REI trail 25. Do not think it will work for my little adventures this spring, but it is a nice pack for right now. I'm finding the Osprey Daylite way too small for all day.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ505 View Post
    . . . I bought an REI trail 25. Do not think it will work for my little adventures this spring . . .
    I traveled around Europe for three weeks this summer with a Trail 25 as my only lugage. It worked pretty well. It's a good size for a lot of stuff and fits under the seat in the airplane, so it can be your personal item instead of a carry-on. I changed the zipper pulls on the main compartment to red so I could find them and not keep unzipping the wrong zipper. I loved the outside vertical side pocket for pens, pencils, glasses, corkscrew, and a small kitchen knife (i.e. long skinny and/or delicate things). I wished the zipper on the main compartment was longer so I could do less digging to find things.

My son is just over 6 feet tall and was fitted a couple of days ago - he lands right between small and medium. Ended up going with a small Baltoro frame with medium shoulder straps. Carve out a couple of hours and get fitted properly - it will be time well spent.

@KCNC, yeah took a long time to fit me, but fortunately the gal at REI was patient and they aren't paid on commission. Not a lot of things worked well for me.
    @nsherry-- The REI trail 25 looks to be a super nice little pack. It should be a lot better for an all day hike than the Daylite. I could see it as a personal item too. Funny thing re: the red zipper pulls. The one I got is blue with red zipper pulls. I'm looking forward to testing it out next week for some day hiking in Jemez NM.

I'm 5'4" with a 17 inch torso. I use the Granite Gear Lutsen 45 in the small size. It adjusts down to a 14 or 15 torso. It's a great pack although a touch heavy at 3 pounds. But if it fits then that probably trumps the slight weight disadvantage.

Mediums were to small, larges were to big, one of reason I liked the “Osprey Atmos” it has a fully adjustable harness that you can dial in and get fittin’ like a glove that won’t equité.
    “Short people got no reason to give” up.

++ New Posts ++