WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Why?

wookinpanub

On my Southbound thru I got to see a lot of hikers headed the opposite direction. One of the beauties of the trail, to me, was seeing the diversity of equipment and how people were meeting their essential needs. I saw someone who had gotten all of their equipment at Kmart, another one who got all of their gear at an army surplus store, another who made their equipment, another who had cut a deal with some high-end manufacturers and had all proto-type equipment. ALL of these folks were making it just fine. I like learning about new equipment and methods and also learning about old methods. I certainly don't think everyone should do things the way I do and I still get a kick out of seeing what folks put together to get out there.

I think a lot of conversations on the trail come from people seeing how you are operating. On here or on the trail it is not useful to either party to give unsolicited advice on gear or technique; it is likely to come across as boasting and nobody likes being told that they have bought the wrong stuff and wasted their hard earned cash. If asked I do think it fair to give information to people especially those new to hiking so that they have information to make a reasoned choice on items.

I also participate in a couple of firearm forums that are focused on a very specific model of pistol (1911) it is a bit worse for that subject, especially when a model starts to get negative user feedback; people who own that make/model take it as a personal afront and attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac64 View Post
    I also participate in a couple of firearm forums that are focused on a very specific model of pistol (1911) it is a bit worse for that subject, especially when a model starts to get negative user feedback; people who own that make/model take it as a personal afront and attack.
    Tent vs tarp, silnylon vs cuben, 1911 vs Glock.

Even though we all share a common interest, in this case the outdoors/ hiking, we still want to be accepted, liked, validated etc. I think it's part of our basic human programming of being social animals. We have learned to put people down who do it differently than us because we want to be "right" - and if I'm right, clearly you are wrong. The most incendiary topic to demonstrate this would be politics. I don't know when it got SO divisive, but the left vs the right battle is downright crazy nowadays, both sides thinking their side is correct and the other side is completely and irreparably wrong! Religion is another great example of this. We don't discuss those topics on this type of forum because of their incendiary nature and our general inability to be open minded and "civil" to people who believe differently than we do.

I'm no psychologist, but I think I'm close to the truth of the situation... and if you disagree with me you are wrong! (just joking, in case you missed the winky face)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++