WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Quote Originally Posted by Leo L. View Post
    So thats fine, aside from the fact that two Prolites are heavier than one Prolite plus.
    The additional weight might not affect you that much though, I guess.

BTW, on my coldes winter hike so far, I've carried one Prolite and and a Prolite plus, stacked together.
    More recently, I've adapted your style and am using a Z-style CCF plus a Prolite plus in winter now.
    The CCF is much more convenient as a floor layer in the tent during all the normal camp chores like cooking/eating, (un-)dressing, (un-)packing etc.
    Exactly right with the CCF pad as I use it for many things---as an in-tent sit pad when arriving to camp to cook dinner etc---as a reststop pad when using my pack as a back rest---under or over my sleeping pad when very cold---as an emergency pad when a Thermarest blows a bubble or leaks etc. Unfortunately but like always Thermarest discontinued their warmest and best CCF pad, the Solar at 3.4 I think Rvalue.

I once had a delamination problem, contacted the company, returned the old one n I got a brand new one no charge. BUT my postage at the time was cheap plus I squished that thing in the smallest flat rate box I could at $5.

Since you have 3 pads... pay the postage and sell the new ones to recoup your losses? With the price of those pads so high, the new pads you sell will bring a good premium to buy a better pad/s.

Here's my latest debacle with Thermarest---to start the New Year of 2024.

My nice first generation Trail Pro Large pad developed the usual herniated blowout delam.

I send these two pics to their Warranty division and will soon receive a new third generation Trail Pro in the mail.

Instead of cutting the pad in half they want me to do this using their RA number as reference. Voila new pad forthcoming.

This is the kind of pad I'll be getting---a third gen Trail pro large.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Here's my latest debacle with Thermarest---to start the New Year of 2024.
    I've had another Thermarest ProLite+ delaminate just recently. A brand new one that didn't get used too much.
    It delaminated right on the foot end (just like another one last year), so I guess it has to do something with the way how I start to roll it up: If I roll the very beginning too tight, it might start the delamination process.

Actually I'm done with Thermarest. I'll send the delaimtade one in, and if I get aother one, I will just hand it down to the kids for car camping.
    Any new purchase on pads will go to Exped.

Images

It's your beard....fuzzy face, that's causing the delamination

Best wishes for your new one on the way.

TW, I guess you view this just as the cost of doing business, or rather, the price to pay for comfortable sleep? I would get so tired of it. I try to adapt to just CCF. Sometimes it's OK, other times, ouchy hips. There are tradeoffs with every sleep system.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo L. View Post
    I've had another Thermarest ProLite+ delaminate just recently. A brand new one that didn't get used too much.
    It delaminated right on the foot end (just like another one last year), so I guess it has to do something with the way how I start to roll it up: If I roll the very beginning too tight, it might start the delamination process.

Actually I'm done with Thermarest. I'll send the delaimtade one in, and if I get aother one, I will just hand it down to the kids for car camping.
    Any new purchase on pads will go to Exped.
    I'm about finished with Thermy too tho my Exped experience ended badly. Maybe Exped has improved and Thermy has sunk.

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    It's your beard....fuzzy face, that's causing the delamination

Best wishes for your new one on the way.
    I think it's my sour and judgmental attitude and worldview---the pad seems to notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Zone View Post
    TW, I guess you view this just as the cost of doing business, or rather, the price to pay for comfortable sleep? I would get so tired of it. I try to adapt to just CCF. Sometimes it's OK, other times, ouchy hips. There are tradeoffs with every sleep system.
    Like socks, my sleeping pads are disposable items---replaced often. I thought about doing just the CCF thing but would need at least four of them in layers to create comfort. TOO BULKY.

CCF only is for younger people only, IMHO.

On my first travels in the late 70s, I was lucky to carry a large piece of plastic so have an, if very thin, layer between my sleepingbag and the dirt-ground. Of CCF pads we heared just rumors then, that there existed some "magic bed".
    The first longtime-journey (with the motorbike) we slept, well actually lived on, rice-straw pads of the kind you would use at the beach in those days.

I well remember when I purchased my first CCF pad in the mid-80s, and used it for our late-autumn trip to the US-west.
    This was at age 29. For several decades, I spent about the same amount of nights on the CCF than in my bed. I've worn out several CCF pads over time.

It was only at age ~50, when I first got a Thermarest - and found it very comfortable, and the perfect way to nurse my sore back.
    Now after ~17yrs of using various Prolite+, I switched to an Exped Downmat, lately in winter, I top it with a Z-pad.

Honestly, I can't imagine myself going back to CCF-only. At age 67, I'm just too old for that.

I went the Exped downmat route back in 2010 and while the warmest most comfy pad ever, I had a delamination blowout on the thing on Night 1 of a 19 day winter trip to Snowbird Creek. Many peopled complained at that time so they redesigned their downmat tubes etc.
    TRIP 116 026-L.jpg

TRIP 116 190-L.jpg

Puuhh...
    Hopefully my downmat holds a bit better!

bad news leo....
    it seems to be pure luck.
    i blew 4 exped downmats, all within less than 3 months. got 1 replaced and was stuck with the others. thats why i went back to thermarest.

yes, they blow up reliably after 180 nights on them, but i´ve never had another brand that lasted that long. and the exchange in europe is fantastic, postage aside. happy customer since the 80ies. i also got 2 of them replaced on the AT, years back. thanks to the stores for their service.

so, good luck with whatever brand you choose. and dont forget to take the ccf-pad along.
    happy trails
    lucky luke

contact thermarest... tell them it delaminated n you will get a new one in exchange. ive done this several times... great company for customer service.

contact thermarest... tell them it delaminated n you will get a new one in exchange. ive done this several times... great company for customer service.

good to see they took good care of you

Do the Thermarest Xtherms do better in this regard, being made with heavier fabrics? I would think those would give the adhesives a bit more material to glue onto. And they don’t have much weight penalty.

Images

Elbows.....elbows are the culprit that starts a point of delamination. Just think about how many times you use your elbow to raise yourself up to turn over or get up out of your bag or from under your covers. Once you get upright you then sit on your pad, twist and turn to further the advancement of delaminating. Think it over......at the end of this season come back and tell us what you think.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
++ New Posts ++