WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Alas Poor Thermarest

Okay boys, another one bites the dust. This is about my 10th or 12th delamination in the last 40 years sleeping on Thermarest pads.

Zoe dog investigates the sad Fact---welcome to Cascade Designs.

After a couple hours in the sun the pad DOES NOT self heal and instead expands.

I spent last night in the backyard "camping" and preparing for another trip and working out the kinks in my gear. Lucky me this happened before the trip.

: (

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Never was happy with self inflators, too much weight for not enough loft. Manual inflating neoair + a inflator (battery or other) is overall lighter and 3x as thick.

It seems Thermarest has some troubles recently...
    But why do yours break at the head, mine (three total who failed) in the shoulder area?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Leo L. View Post
    It seems Thermarest has some troubles recently...
    But why do yours break at the head, mine (three total who failed) in the shoulder area?
    There's only a couple inches difference in location between your bulge and my bulge. Maybe it's National Hernia Month???

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    Never was happy with self inflators, too much weight for not enough loft. Manual inflating neoair + a inflator (battery or other) is overall lighter and 3x as thick.
    NeoAirs also, like any inflatable, has its own problems---Seam weld leaks, thinner denier fabrics on some models, poor functionality when sitting up (I can feel my butt hitting the ground when sitting upright on fully inflated NeoAir) etc. Pet pad peeve: NEVER want to feel the ground underneath.

But I do take the smallest lightest NeoAir they make and keep it in my pack just in case I'm on a trip and my Thermy inflatable does the above.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    ...But I do take the smallest lightest NeoAir they make and keep it in my pack just in case I'm on a trip and my Thermy inflatable does the above.
    How did I know you would do this

I've had two Thermarest pads, both still quite OK. The older one is from 1990. Not as many "bag nights" as Tipi's, but both well-used.

they had some Klymits on massdrop

A Human Being.

Looks like a built in pillow.....you paid extra for that!

IMPORTANT UPDATE
    I came up with a plan to rebuild my dead Thermarest.

P1000056.JPG
    First I studied WHY the fabric pulled away from the foam.

P1000060.JPG
    Then I pulled it apart to repair each section in order from top to bottom.

P1000058.JPG
    Then I laid it out properly for a hot steam glue repair. Results forthcoming.

"After a couple hours in the sun the pad DOES NOT self heal and instead expands."
    I suspect that a lot of delamination problems are from the sun hitting the mats.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    "After a couple hours in the sun the pad DOES NOT self heal and instead expands."
    I suspect that a lot of delamination problems are from the sun hitting the mats.
    My pads never get direct sunlight, ever. And if inside a warming tent during the day I always open the air valve. None of my previous Thermarest delaminations have been due to direct sunlight. I just don't leave them in the sun . . . or inside a car . . . THIS pad on the other hand has been sacrificed to the Gear Demon and no amount of direct sunlight will hurt it.

Journal Entries
    Images

Looks similar to old GM headliner delam....
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Years ago I emailed Thermarest about the problem and they said it's due to "overuse" and "body oils". Uh, okay. I do live on these pads. But I emit no fluids

Journal Entries

Years ago I emailed Thermarest about the problem and they said it's due to "overuse" and "body oils". Uh, okay. I do live on these pads. But I emit no fluids
    Id say its due to either failing decomposing foam, or decomposing glue.

Ive had it happen to cheap off brands used for car camping in as little as a couple years....of non-use...stored inside. But what u expect for $20
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-17-2017 at 17:56.

I’d be willing to guess your pads get more use in one year than most put on in a many lifetimes! I’m jealous! You should work a deal with Cascade Designs to test out they’re pads!

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    You should work a deal with Cascade Designs to test out they’re pads!

They probably wouldn't be happy with my long term reviews. Although what idiot keeps using them year after year? ME.

I fully understand it may simply be extended use, but perhaps there is something causing it to happen to you. I can only think of:
    1. Do you always allow it to self-inflate or do you sometimes/many times blow it up?
    2. Do you store it with the valve open? Do they ever get stored for long? Do you store them rolled up?
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    I fully understand it may simply be extended use, but perhaps there is something causing it to happen to you. I can only think of:
    1. Do you always allow it to self-inflate or do you sometimes/many times blow it up?
    2. Do you store it with the valve open? Do they ever get stored for long? Do you store them rolled up?
    Since this is not my first rodeo with herniated Thermarests, I believe it's due to Usage and poorly engineered foam/glue combos. But to answer your questions:

I always inflate my pads beyond mere air pressure alone. I like them firm so I can't feel my butt on the ground when sitting up. I store all my backpacking pads inflated and laid flat with the valve open.

When Thermarest went with their die-cut foam technology I started getting many more delaminations---as above. It was rare with their old orange Standard full foam pads.

But as mentioned, I live on these pads and probably use one 340 nights out of the year---either on trips or at home in the backyard . So I guess if a pad lasts me one year I feel lucky. I practice "cautionary procurement"---and get a new one before the old one shows signs of age. I'd say overuse is the main culprit. Or just plain "used hard".

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++