WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Buddy Backpacker Triple Crown

Buddy Backpacker completed the CDT on September 18, 2017, and is now a triple crowner at age 9.

https://www.outsideonline.com/224922...s-triple-crown

Journal Entries

I met him at age 6 on the AT, and thought that it was awesome, the homeschooling on the trail is priceless and well beyond the conventional schooling, as he would have been in 1st grade that year. However Doing 2 more years at it, I do question if it is in his best interest. I don't say I know either way, but it seems like there are a pleather of social skills one gains during this time interacting with classmates. Also the AT is wonderful, those who have thru hiked it know this (but some don't want to admit it), but the good will extedned is life changing and goes on way beyond the hike, so that will carry forth in Buddy Backpacker. The other 2 trails are much more remote and has a less social aspect, will those carry over to lasting good will IDK.

yeah, interesting...... IDK either.... I used to have a real problem with the idea of homeschooled kids. Had some friends doing it. Have some neighbors doing it now. Something about the whole thing seems sheltered and odd to me.
    I'll say this though, every homeschooled kid I have met (which hasn't been very many), but every one has been very well developed in terms of being able to talk to me as an adult. Very smart and mature acting kids.

Regardless, I can see benefit in the idea of road schooling...experiences places and things as opposed to talking or reading about them.... I could imagine good coming form being exposed to the trail too....
    but
    that sure is a whole lot of time, maybe too much. A large percentage of a very impressionable time in that young man's life. Sure he gained, but what did he miss?
    kid probably has had significantly more adult interaction than with kids his own age....
    what else?

Don't know if any of you have kids in school these days (or recently) but the schools suck. All the reasons people think of as being beneficial - socialization with kids their age, etc - are far outweighed IMO by the bullying and other crap that goes on in government schools. Nowhere else in society are people forced to "socialize" with people they dislike simply based on their physical age. Today's schools are as unnatural a world as can be imagined.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    Don't know if any of you have kids in school these days (or recently) but the schools suck. All the reasons people think of as being beneficial - socialization with kids their age, etc - are far outweighed IMO by the bullying and other crap that goes on in government schools. Nowhere else in society are people forced to "socialize" with people they dislike simply based on their physical age. Today's schools are as unnatural a world as can be imagined.
    yeah, don't disagree much....except the worst of that spectrum really is affected by where, which school.
    My kids, 2 elementary 1 middle are in very good schools for waht they are....government schools.

but going with what you say about forced grouping....There are certain things that come form school...dealing with teh structure, routine, learning to deal with difficult people taht are good things...

++ New Posts ++