WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Tarptent or other

I want to buy a lightweight tent that I could take solo on the AT. But I also want it to be durable enough for short trips in Minnesota (3-season, wind, rain, cold, etc.), and just large enough to stuff in another person if needed. Is a tarptent Virga 2 a good idea? Any other options for such specifications? Thanks!

-Mammoth

Default tents

You should look at the Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo:
    http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=36
    Most of the time I use a hammock, but when tenting, I've been using this. It would be tight for two people but could be done in a pinch. Helps if you like each other a lot.
    Don't waste time telling people what you are doing or what you are going to do. Results have a way of informing the world.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

[quote=bearbag hanger]You should look at the Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo:
    ===========================================
    I own and like the Lunar Solo-e but I think it might be a tad tight for 2 hikers and gear.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

I have the Squall. I love it. Plenty of room for two and very spacious for one. weighs around 30 oz. Held up quite well in heavy rains.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

I'll second the Squall. The weight is very nice for a 2-man, easy to set up and have had no problems in rain/light snow.
    2005 "No Legs" Springer to Clingman's
    2007 SloFar/DrClaw - GA-NJ

The tarptents are a great lightweight option for 3 season use, and I stayed warm and dry on the AT in '05 through a wide range of conditions.

The Virga was just big enough for me and my gear. The Squall is like a palace for one person and comfortable for two. The downside to the Squall (and any 2 person tent) is that it has a much larger footprint, so you may need to hunt a bit more for a good campsite. This is all relative though and really didn't seem to be a problem on the AT (especially if you're going shelter to shelter and not stealth camping)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by eric_plano
    I'll second the Squall. The weight is very nice for a 2-man, easy to set up and have had no problems in rain/light snow.
    AMEN! - i spent about 1/3 of my nights in my Squall.
    Journal * Photos
    "The longer I live, the more I read, the more patiently I think, and the more anxiously I inquire, the less I seem to know.... Do justly. Love mercy. Walk humbly. This is enough." -John Adams

Images

have you ever considered a hammock,sleeping on the ground sucks neo

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/show...imageuser=3462

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/show...imageuser=3462

Thanks for all of the advice! The Squall sounds perfect for my needs.
    I considered getting a hammock once when I saw one at an outfitters, but I am such a disaster getting into it that it's probably not for me. It looks so darned cozy though... maybe I'll look into them again. Thanks all!

I dig my Squall. It's worked well for me in various situations. Fit 2 on my thru. Only problem I've had is that if it's pitched on a wooden tent platform and it rains, rain falling on the wood can spray into the tent through the side mesh.
    aka Endorphin, AT GA->ME '04

Have you considered a hammock. I would suggest a look at Hennessey Hammocks. Their website is : http://www.hammocks.com
    Level Real Estate that is dry in bad weather is a rare thing in the Appalachians. I would recommend an oversized rainfly / tarp due to the blowing rains. Since I got off the ground, you couldn't pry me away from my hammock. It's like sleeping in a squirrel's nest and the water just runs right under you. No problem unless the water gets over 3 feet deep.
    :welcome

Oops! Need to change the website on the Hennessey Hammock recommendation. Go to: http://www.hennessyhammock.com/
    :welcome

++ New Posts ++