WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Zelph's Toaks Light 700 Titanium Cook Kit-Unboxing and First Look

When I first saw this kit in this thread on Hammock Forums I knew she was the one for me (hearts and kissy faces emoticon).I ordered one last week and it arrived in my mailbox a few short days later. I thought I'd try an unboxing/first look video, so here's my effort.

I'll be happy to answer any questions.If anyone sees anything I did wrong please let me know. I really wasn't expecting it to take that long to get a boil. All that said I really like the kit, and "it is what it is". If I expect it to take that long, it won't be a big deal when it does.Thanks for watching!

I get a faster boil with a windscreen.
    I have his EZ-fold windscreen. I don't know what windscreen he has now.
    Even if there is no breeze, a windscreen helps consolidate the heat.

Images

For a faster boil use a regular Starlyte. A Modified is what you have, very fuel efficient.

You can use a needle nose pliers and remove the reducer ring on your burner for a faster boil time.

A suggestion from one of your viewers says to not use the pot support. The windscreen is very durable and will secure the pot at the ridgeline.

Your kit was 2017 design, this years is different.

Your video presentation is very well done. Thank you! Have I seen you in one of Shugs' videos? He has a positive influence on you

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    I get a faster boil with a windscreen.
    I have his EZ-fold windscreen. I don't know what windscreen he has now.
    Even if there is no breeze, a windscreen helps consolidate the heat.
    I was using the windscreen that came with the kit. I'm good with the boil time. If I feel like I might want a faster boil time on a particular trip, I'll swap out the modified Starlyte for a Fancee Feast. I agree tho, when using alcohol a wind screen is practically mandatory whether there's any wind or not. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    For a faster boil use a regular Starlyte. A Modified is what you have, very fuel efficient.
    You can use a needle nose pliers and remove the reducer ring on your burner for a faster boil time.
    A suggestion from one of your viewers says to not use the pot support. The windscreen is very durable and will secure the pot at the ridgeline.
    Your kit was 2017 design, this years is different.
    Your video presentation is very well done. Thank you! Have I seen you in one of Shugs' videos? He has a positive influence on you
    See my response to Connie above.

Not sure if I want to forgo the pot support with a pot full of water on the windscreen alone, but i could test that under controlled conditions.

I haven't ever been in one of Shug's videos but I've watched practically all of them lol, so yeah there's definitely an influence -)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    Not sure if I want to forgo the pot support with a pot full of water on the windscreen alone, but i could test that under controlled conditions.
    The titanium is super strong stuff and will easily support the pot full of water.

Journal Entries

Also to add I removed the Starlyte restrictor and was very pleased with the results in such a setup.

The titanium is super strong stuff and will easily support the pot full of water.
    Noted. Will try it next time!
    Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    Also to add I removed the Starlyte restrictor and was very pleased with the results in such a setup.
    Not sure if I'm ready to take that step yet, but good to know!

Nice video thanks for sharing.
    Looks like zelph really knows there stuff on stoves and cook kits.

Quote Originally Posted by TMathers View Post
    Nice video thanks for sharing.
    Looks like zelph really knows there stuff on stoves and cook kits.
    Thanks for checking it out. Zelph does indeed know his stuff!

Images

John, hope you were able to do some real cooking in that pot. I settled in on the 700 and am now really getting to like the Toaks 1300 ml pot. The 1300 can do 2 packages of Shrimp Ramen with added freeze dried Italian meatballs. That's an unusual combination but I like it hungry.gif

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/zelphs-...ith-handle.php

Nice video. Zelph I admire your work. You are a real craftsman which in my book is a high honor.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    Nice video. Zelph I admire your work. You are a real craftsman which in my book is a high honor.
    Thank you very much TexasBob. Stove design has been a fun hobby over the years. It all started here on Whiteblaze. Glad to have been able to share my creations.

Images

Looking at the video again, we could say johnspenn fell head over heals in love with the kit.

It's awesome that he gave an instant replay of his acrobatics

Zelph modded my 750 pot with a ridge to fit his windscreen. I’m using the midfield statlyte. The lower btu stove works great for my style cooking. Best cooking setup I have used. So simple, strong , light and small packed. No more balancing act cooking for me.

I use it with esbit to.

Images

Glad it worked out for you. I have migrated over to a larger pot that holds 2 packages of Ramen. The whole package fits in without breaking it up. Makes for long slurpping noodles It's a toaks 1300ml and it has a bail handle so I can hang it over a campfire....my goto fuel Place 2 packages of noodles and one packet of seasoning into pot, cover with water, bring to boil, remove from fire/stove, let cool for 5 min. and then enjoy.

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/zelphs-...handle-kit.php

Last edited by zelph; 01-10-2019 at 11:20.

I live off grid with wood heat . More fires are out for me ;0)

thom

++ New Posts ++