WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: water bottles

Default water bottles

Question for those that have hiked the at with a dog. No I don't want to hear that I shouldn't take my dog.

Did you carry a separate water bottle for fido or did you just let him drink out of yours?? On our walks around here I just let her use mine.

I don't have a dog, but I do have a dog bowl. (Collapsible silicone bowls in the "pet" category cost about 1/3 as much as similar items in the "backpacking" category.) You can pour out a serving for Fido and then drink simultaneously with your pet. This one has a loop so you can attach it with a carabiner to your pack.

PetmateTravelBowl.jpg

Images

Handi-Drink-Blue.jpg

I use something similar to this. It is easier for my dog to drink from and saves water. When he drinks from a bottle about half spills on the ground.
    Sailor

I carry 2 small blue cheese containers that nest and weigh nearly nothing but most of the time he drinks from the flowing streams as long as others aren’t around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't share my drinking container with my dog, only the contents therein. One of my favorite mountain biking partners regularly waters her dog (and mine for that matter) out of the lid of her water bottle.

Most of the time my dog drinks "wild water". In areas where wild water is scarce, or the nearby water may be intended for human consumption, I carry a small cottage cheese or yogurt type container and let her drink out of that. Yes, occasionally they break and they don't pack as well as the fancy dog bowls, and they're not a cool as purpose built backpacking dog bowls, but they are lighter and cheaper and work quite adequately.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Images

I use two cheap Tupperware containers with lids. One for each side of her pack. One is for food and the other is for water. I also put in two 16 oz plastic coke bottles with water. They also work good as sort of an ballast to keep her pack straight. On the southern portion of the AT water is usually abundant but when it gets hot and the water is scarce like in northern Virginia and Pennsylvania, I pour water into the container and if she doesn't drink all the water then I put a lid on it to save it for later. Another benefit, it is harder to knock them over because they are low to the ground.

Maybe not the best for backpacking(mostly because it probably weights 3-4oz, but these work really well as far as being easy for the dog to get the water without splashing all over etc. The cap is a silicone bite valve, opened by a "tit" in the bowl, so its easy to meter water into the trough as needed and of course its easy return unused water to the bottle. Because of the minimal waste we've been able to keep 2 dogs(20&28lbs) hydrated all day. And it is possible for two dogs to drink at once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor (The other one) View Post
    Handi-Drink-Blue.jpg

I use something similar to this. It is easier for my dog to drink from and saves water. When he drinks from a bottle about half spills on the ground.

collapsible bowl for camp. Gatorade bottles for hiking, shared with dog while hiking. held slightly above her pouring a slow steady stream, hardly any ever hit the ground.

Why make life complicated. Make a dent in the ground, put a sheet of plastic over it, and fill it with water.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TTT View Post
    Why make life complicated. Make a dent in the ground, put a sheet of plastic over it, and fill it with water.
    Not exactly a LNT method... and still sounds a bit messy compared to a collapsible bowl.

And have you tried this... could imagine bad things happening, like the dog licks the "bottom of the bowl" totally displacing it, or perhaps even getting it caught in it's mouth.

But I do have to admit it's about as light weight as you could get.
    Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 10-15-2017 at 21:39.

There are commercial and military aircraft flying overhead spewing out toxic fumes that would impress a crop sprayer or a person familiar with agent orange. I doubt if a dent in the ground is gonna make much difference.

There are commercial and military aircraft flying overhead spewing out toxic fumes that would impress a crop sprayer or a person familiar with agent orange. I doubt if a dent in the ground is gonna make much difference.
    That's called rationalization. Somewhere someone else is doing something worse than what you are doing therefore it is ok for you to do something wrong. It's not ok.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

You do realize we are talking about a dent in the ground here?

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

You do realize we are talking about a dent in the ground here?
    Yea, but the rationalization argument is still flawed logic.

Mmm.... Your confabulated and slightly weirdlogic is in favour of digging a cat hole, but any similar hole falls under LNT.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Mmm.... Your confabulated and slightly weirdlogic is in favour of digging a cat hole, but any similar hole falls under LNT.
    A cat hole is when you dig a hole, and then fill it back. When done properly, someone walking by your cat hole will never know it's there.

I made a simple and logical observation that "making a dent in the ground" is a [minor] violation of LNT principles.

You could have countered by following up with additional instructions such as "the dent can be made in loose or sandy soil and repaired when done".

But instead, you tried to justify violating LNT principles by arguing "other people are doing greater damage to the environment". Bad Form.

Moving along, you can find some of these options in the pet section of REI or other outfitters, Amazon, or even grocery and department stores, and even closeout places. I've picked up several pet wares from that last one at a discount including those flip bottles.

Just a note, if you treat your water, consider treating your dogs water too, they can get giardiasis too. Part of the reason we adopted one of our dogs was we took her to the vet when she showed up as a stray and she had giardiasis. Nobody was interested in caring for her and the shelter was full. We had to keep her separated from the other animals and be super vigilant in cleaning up after her in the yard. Plus the vet bill. So please do consider treating the water your dog drinks.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Just go ahead and let Fido drink out of your water bottle, after all, their mouth is cleaner than ours....
    Let's head for the roundhouse; they can't corner us there!

I use a collapsible silicone bowl and any water bottle (including my own). I've attached a key ring to the bowl and then a carabiner . Some of them come with carabiner. I got one of those bowls attached to the bottle things. It's bulky and leaks, one of those nifty ideas that doesn't work well.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Call View Post
    Just go ahead and let Fido drink out of your water bottle, after all, their mouth is cleaner than ours....
    Myth I expect, and a pretty low standard for many people.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++