WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Lightheart Solo Tent vs SMD Lunar Solo tent?

I broke my pole of my Alps Mountaineering 1p tent on the AT this summer and am looking for another (upgraded) 1p tent to use for week and weekend trips for the next few years and hopefully on the PCT in 3 years. I've found light heart solo and BA fly creek UL1 tents for comparable prices on gear pages. Who has experience with these tents in varying weather conditions and can offer a pro or con? Thanks!

*Meant to include the option of BA Fly Creek UL1 as well

I had the original Fly Creek, not the HV model, and used it for about 1200 miles on the AT, and also all over the Southwest, and even some winter camping. It's a spacious tent. I liked being able to fully sit up in the door end, cook in the vestibule, and stretch out without my bag ever touching the fly. I never had condensation problems, broken poles, or tears. I had a few pinholes on the fly eventually but not a big deal and that is a downside of sil tents. It's a very very thin fabric. I used a tyvek groundcloth to save weight. I even used it for snow camping with no problems. The fly extends low to block wind, and it held heat well. Sometimes I'd pack leaves around the fly to retain the heat in winter. In summer it breathes just fine. I've spent days in it in the rain without getting wet. Big Agnes's website says you do not have to seam seal their tents. I had already seam sealed it before learning that you don't need to do this to taped tents. You'll have to add a couple ounces to a LHG tent for seam sealing, and they can do it for you which is recommended because it's actually pretty involved (some spots inside, but others on the outside). The BA is virtually freestanding and I had no problems setting it up on platforms on the AT. I could get away with not staking it at all really, just using my pack etc as weight inside, but realistically I usually used I think 4 stakes, and carried six. I liked being able to pick it up in the morning and gently shake off the rain or condensation on the fly before packing it up.

Cons: It's was horrible in the Southwest. It provided no shade at all. What's more, I recently got the HV version to replace it and that version is so narrow that it is unpleasant. And I am only a 5'4" female. I just got it on sale at Backcountry for $211 and sent it back.

I am now looking at the LHG Solo and Solong6. I'm undecided between those because they are so close in ounces. I like to lounge around in the tent, so I like the space. I also like that you can get a dark fly on those, which I highly recommend if you plan to use it on the PCT. You will be very grateful for the shade. That will be your ONLY SOURCE OF SHADE for hundreds of miles. So I strongly endorse getting a purple top, even over the camo top. That is what I plan to do, and I may be seeing you on the PCT (but 2018 is all about the AT). I've been talking to Judy (hi Judy!) about the Solos, and you may be able to score one with an awning, which would be great for cooking in the rain, and also for keeping yourself shaded on the PCT. In fact just putting my thoughts on this down to you is helping me to decide. You may appreciate the extra space of the Solong6 to let your hiking partner on the PCT also enjoy the shade with you. The importance of shade really can't be overstated. It's also super roomy for only a few more ounces and has two doors and vestibules, and a great awning for cooking. You can see out in a storm (but if it is windy you'll have to lock down the awning). Great tent.

I also looked very hard at Tarptents but really like the LHG designs and especially the dark fly options and awnings. The only other option out there worth considering to me is a ZPacks Duplex in Camo, but I doubt that would be dark enough to really provide actual shade, and frankly that crackly sound would drive me nuts. I don't think sleeping with earplugs is a good idea AT ALL. I've have moved my campsite 3 or 4 times due to bears "whistling" next to me in the night, or flat out growling and stomping, while stealthing on the AT, and once on the PCT due to a mountain lion. I can't imagine lying there like a clueless burrito wrapped in a crackling newspaper, wearing my earplugs, while these creatures signaled me to get out of there! But I digress. It would be ideal to cut weight by making only the floor cuben, or maybe just the fly. Just half the tent in cuben to cut weight. YAMA mountain makes half sil/half cuben tents (the top half cuben), and actually also has a nice looking sil tent called the Swiftline you might want to check out. Looks great but is too narrow for my liking (even though it is actually large by single person standards). It's nowhere near as spacious as a LHG.

I have skipped the SMD tents because I love the LHG awning option.

As for me, I will be making up my mind here very shortly between the Solo and Solong. I'm waiting for Gear Trade to pay me for some sales, which is a subject for another thread but I am starting to wonder about them, after they've been shining me on for 3 weeks about the check being "in the mail."

++ New Posts ++