WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 60 year old woman did NOT complete the 60 miles....

Don't know if you all remember me....had a 60 mile hike planned in SNP..Started out on October 6...on the second day out, my IT Band decided it had had enough and became incredibly painful. Hadn't had issues with it for decades. Seriously bummed. Took a zero at Pinefield Hut to rest it...the remnants of Tropical Storm Nate blew through....then we started out again....I could do the uphills and the level sections with no problem...I was absolutely strong enough....it was the downhills that killed me. I learned to do this little "two step"....I would lead with my right (injured leg), bring my left foot even to my right, and then step again. Very slow, but it was working. Until Wednesday....the storm had brought so many leaves down that you couldn't see the trail, much less the rocks underneath the leaves, and I managed to misstep with the right leg and further tweak the same freakin' knee....and at that point there was no way ....I couldn't do the level sections, the uphills, the downhills....nothing. It was time to call it quits if I ever wanted to walk again...

To say I was bummed would be an understatement. Had trained for months for this event....completed 42 miles....but not 60.
    BUT....I DID complete a section hike of the AT. I DID learn an incredible amount. I DID see a bear (who saw me...we looked at each other a a few moments while he tried to figure out what I was and when I clacked my sticks together and shouted "bear bear", he graciously ambled off) . I DID experience "trail magic". I DID have the blueberry ice-cream at Big Meadows. I DID take a zero. I DID go the wrong way for 1.6 miles because I thought I knew the way and didn't consult the little sign (huge lesson learned). I DID pack the right amount of clothes. I DID learn how to filter water, interact with people at a shelter, ignore mice, shared my little bit of whiskey,.....all kinds of stuff. So, yeah....I didnt complete the 60 miles, but it was an incredible life changing hike. Can't wait to get back out there.

So here's my question to you all..... other experiences with IT Band Syndrome? Best treatments? Rehab? The stuff on the internet is all over the place....What have been your experiences with all this?

Thanks,
    k

I'm more of a distance runner than a hiker, but with that said, ITB injuries are somewhat common. What helped me was a foam roller -- lay on your side with the side of your knee on the roller such that your body weight will be supported by the roller and your elbow, then "roll" up/down. Do as much of your leg as you can, all the way up to your hip. It may be a bit painful at first, but you'll get used to it. What the roller is doing is stretching the ITB by using your body weight to push inward. Stretching helps, rest helps, Advil helps, swimming helps (breast stroke kick to strengthen/stretch), and time helps the most.

Good luck to you.

I had the same problems a few years ago, but someone on this website suggested the Chopat brace. I bought a couple of them and have had zero IT Band problems since. I wear them everytime I hike, backpack, jog, climb, etc.

Hope this helps;

https://www.healthproductsforyou.com...CABEgL0YfD_BwE

Seatbelt

Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    I had the same problems a few years ago, but someone on this website suggested the Chopat brace. I bought a couple of them and have had zero IT Band problems since. I wear them everytime I hike, backpack, jog, climb, etc.

Hope this helps;

https://www.healthproductsforyou.com...CABEgL0YfD_BwE

Seatbelt
    +1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Give youself 4-6 weeks
    The foam roller, and stretching helps imo.
    Stretching increases bloodflow and speeds healing for tendonitis, which us what itb is.

Not just itb, but all lower leg shin muscles. When one gets overused and strained, your gait changes, and everything goes to heck quick. Its possible the itb wasnt the first item to flare up, but the most debilitating.

Next time, slow down. Use poles to take the impact off your steps and it probably wont reoccur.

I hiked 35 miles with stiff leg once when it happened. Never happened again. Im super sensitive to impact going downhill now. I als make sur I have 8 ibuprofen tabs per day on trail from town. Without them i couldnt have hiked to town.

And i run a lot year round to condition muscles to impacts

Ive hiked 1000-1500 miles since, no recurring issue. But once you been there....you take precautions.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-13-2017 at 11:20.

Journeyman Journeyer
    Images

I had the same issue although not as severe. A combination of stretching and hip abductor exercises fixed mine. I would not use a brace unless it was a last resort as I think they actually weaken muscles more. They are literally a crutch.

Leonidas

Foam rolling and rest helped. Then I very gradually added in weighted exercise to strengthen the area. Mine had gotten to the point where it even hurt to drive. NSAIDS did not help mine at all.

YMMV
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Images

IT Band Syndrome sucks. My rehab started with rest, followed with specific IT Band stretches and later included lots of lower body resistance work on weight machines. Abductor and adductor machines were especially beneficial to develop hip/pelvic muscles and stability. I haven't had any problems in over 2 years. During my hikes I include the IT Band stretches as part of my normal routine and if I am feeling any issues during the day I will stop and do a quick set of IT Band stretches. It really helps.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

Quote Originally Posted by grubbster View Post
    I had the same issue although not as severe. A combination of stretching and hip abductor exercises fixed mine. I would not use a brace unless it was a last resort as I think they actually weaken muscles more. They are literally a crutch.
    I should have added that I started doing exercises also to prevent recurrence. I am not a medical professional but I would question whether the braces actually weaken the muscles, maybe if one doesn't exercise them sufficiently I suppose it is possible. I actually may not NEED them now , but I wear them as a precaution.

I think the birth certificate is wrong and your body is telling you you’re really only 42, that’s why it stopped you. Over 50 is very diff than under 50, a lot more stretching, care, conditioning, and Motrin involved. You did well, have an adventure to share, received great advice on addressing the problem area (see previous posts), and technically a full year to knock out 60. You could even count the 1.6... it was still in SNP after all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by kbstock View Post

So here's my question to you all..... other experiences with IT Band Syndrome? Best treatments? Rehab? The stuff on the internet is all over the place....What have been your experiences with all this?

Thanks,
    k
    Trekking poles helped me, but they are no cure. They help me just enough to make the difference between being able to hike and not being able to hike.

You are right, info on IT band syndrome is all over the place, in part because there's no real cure, reliable treatment, or even agreement on what exactly causes it. Research continues. I have read (largely paywalled) what Paul Ingraham has published about it at painscience.com (look under tutorials, IT Band Syndrome). [Ingraham is Assistant Editor at sciencebasedmedicine.org, a resource I trust.]

As best I can tell, the state of things is that many people are trying a lot of different things (stretching, rolling, resting, surgery, etc) and seeing what works for them. My own experience is that rest helped, but only to a point. And surprisingly, a lighter load did not help; I've experienced plenty of pain carrying nothing at all, just walking down the steep hills near where I live. So UL won't save you from ITBS. For me, a combo of trekking pole use, and a bit of Sherpa-step, really puts the pain on such a back burner that it's not an issue. I know it's there lurking, but I can keep focused on good technique, and thus keep going for strenuous hikes (e.g., difficulty rating 16+).

Hope you find something that works for you.

I had a bout with ITBS and stretching seemed to be ticket. Find some good ITB stretching routines and run through them.

Rolling and stretching (with Yoga the best IMO). Best of luck getting back to 100%.

PS I tried the Chopat brace and I felt that any benefit from it was outweighed by the significant discomfort of the brace itself. Jumper's knee straps just got out of position quickly and didn't do much for me. YMMV.

Last winter I gave myself the task to hike 100km (62 miles) in one stretch.
    Started late in the evening, and after 30km I had developed terrible pain in the left knee, not the IT, but the tendon on the inner side of the left knee.
    So I was sitting in a railway station (where I just happened to have passed by) at 1:00 am, unable to move on, weeping from frustration.
    Then I remembered the Art of Taping, which I had a lecture at, long time ago.
    I had a roll of tape (Leukotape Classic) in the pack, so I started to tape my knee, remembering what the PT lectured us then: "substitute the strained tendons by pieces of tape".
    Placed one, two, three stripes of tape x-shaped across the inner side of the knee - no effect. Placed a 4th stripe giving it a little pre-tension - Done!
    I stood up, zero pain, and finished the 100km hike. Took me 16hrs total. I was really miserable at the end, The whole body was in pain, but the inner tendon on the left knee held up just fine!
    (The only problem was, that the Leukotape Classic held so strong that a good chunk of skin went off when removing it.)

I think its worth the effort to learn about Taping.

Sorry, typo: this was 26hrs, not 16.

So....I guess I'll do "all of the above". I DID use trekking poles the entire time...they really helped. I work out right often with at least 2 strength training sessions per week, but I'll start spending more time on the hip abductor and adductor machines. I'm gonna try a knee brace....too inexpensive no to give it a go. And the stretching will be incorporated as well. AND foam rolling, as much as I hate it! I'm thinking it WILL be 4-6 weeks of recovery since I walked on it (if you want to call it "walking") for days after the initial "ouch" . I got off the trail Wednesday evening....its now Friday afternoon and I'm still quite tender, so this is gonna be a slower process than I would like, but it is what it is. THANKS to all of you for your responses. You are all so kind.

Also, I'm experiencing this feeling of melancholy similar to "day after Christmas blues".....I trained and planned for this hike since last March...and now its done. I've gotten past the point of being upset that I didn't complete the 60 miles....but now its a matter of "what am I supposed to do now?" lol. Its the strangest feeling.....is this normal?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Leo L. View Post
    Sorry, typo: this was 26hrs, not 16.
    When I read 16 I was highly impressed. 26...........
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Journal Entries
    Images

My IT band stopped bothering me when I switched to zero drop shoes. Streching and rolling did not work for me. Lengthening the poles downhill, lighter load, and slower downhill speeds helped me. Like cspan mentioned, it does not appear to be fully understood yet.
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Quote Originally Posted by kbstock View Post
    Also, I'm experiencing this feeling of melancholy similar to "day after Christmas blues".....I trained and planned for this hike since last March...and now its done. I've gotten past the point of being upset that I didn't complete the 60 miles....but now its a matter of "what am I supposed to do now?" lol. Its the strangest feeling.....is this normal?
    Probably! First, you should be proud of what you were able to do; you're not the first person to be stopped (temporarily) by injury. Do consult a medical doctor about your knee pain. You never know, it might not be ITBS. Best to have an expert look at it, and be sure to tell them of your hiking goals.

But it does sound like you put a lot of emotional investment into this particular hike, so a great deal was riding on it. You may find more peace of mind by not putting all your "emotional eggs" in one basket. Spread your bets, as it were. Join a local hiking group, and do 5 mi here, 10 mi there, etc. If you've been doing that as part of training for your 60, good, go back to that when you can. Or maybe, when you're able, go back and finish the last 18 of your 60!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++