Cool New to backpacking with dogs :)

Hi everyone!

I stumbled on long distance backpacking and the PCT and fell in love with it! I already love the west coast so exploring it is a really exciting idea to me. I've been reading lots of forum posts and watching videos and feel like i'm starting to get planning in the right way, but I do have some questions regarding my dog.

I realize this is a highly debated topic and I already have read to death the challenges and disagreements with bringing dogs so please do not tell me about them. I am looking for helpful advice only.

I already live in so cal and am looking at doing section A as a section hike over a week this winter. Though if it goes well then I may look at the logistics of a through hike in a year or 2.

A little about my dog. She is a 12 pound terrier mix who is 1 1/2 years old, she has energy for days. We have been hiking since I adopted her and really upped the miles over the summer to about 7 in one hike.When running she can run about 3 non stop before taking a break. I am wondering if there is a good way to get a dog more endurance trained, or some good habits that I should adapt. And for those who have done it if we need to be doing a long walk every day or if every few is okay?

I am not planning on putting any weight on her other than a harness and plan to carry her if she is tired or doesn't feel like hiking even if it ends up being a few days.

I was also wondering about feeding, my dog is incredibly picky and it's hard to get her to eat even on high exercise days, will this change if she hikes hard for a few days or is it something I should be more worried about when she is putting out so much energy? Also if there is any suggestions for very high calorie dog food, as she needs around 500 calories on a lazy day.

I am also wondering about potential extra vaccines that I should consider to get her, we just did a round of vaccines and had an extra one added in to fight off bacterial infections i think (i'll can post which one it is when I go look at the paperwork) as well as she is currently on heart worm prevention and flea/tick prevention. Or on that note anything good to carry in a backpacking dog first aid kit? we have some stuff but suggestions are always nice.

Most of my camping and hiking experience is in the desert and I am confidant in that, but I was wondering how well dogs make the change between climates from desert to mountains and snow to forests? does anyone have any experience with acclimating a dog? I already know that my dog gets cold really easy so we have lots of different fleece coats and rain coats. were actually figuring out how to make a custom full body down coat for her for snow, as well as a cooling very reflective draping for desert sun protection.

I realize taking a dog is means that i'm going to be hiking my dogs hike not my own and i'm fine with that, I would not have any fun without her and just want to make it so that we can have the most positive experience that we can have. (also just to put this out there, if a through hike is in our future I would not be one of the hikers trying to sneak their dogs around, I have friends who would be able to watch her for the no dogs allowed stretches). Anyone with dog experience I would be grateful for your help and advice!

dyP044hl.jpg

So, I have not done a thru hike with my dog, but I have many week long hikes with her under my belt and I can chime in on some of your questions. I think your questions are spot on, which is to say that I have struggled with many of the same ones, and I don't have a solution for every one.
    1) My dog also does not carry weight; I carry all the food, water, shelter, etc for both of us. This makes her enjoy the experience noticeably more. She doesn't like wearing anything, especially a pack.
    2) I still have problems getting the dog to eat, even on long days. I talked to the vet, I've calorie counted the food, she slurps it down for the first day or two - and then she shuts down a little. Treats help a LOT, but I'd be nervous taking her on long trips for this reason. I wanted to try turbopup bars, but it looks like they might be going out of business last I saw.
    3) I think she has leptospirosis as an additional recommended vaccine, but I'd have to double check. The vet recommended that one for unknown water sources.
    4) My dog does not do well in heat, and acclimatizing doesn't really change that. I have aborted a trip on the first day of a week long trip because of that. On the other hand, I have stopped to dry her off and warm her up in 30s and raining weather when she started to shiver. I now carry a towel specifically for the dog, and a rain coat that covers more of her belly.
    5) You didn't ask about this, but on longer mileage days (her longest day was 24 miles I think) she gets needy and prefers to sleep with me, and generally shuts down around other dogs and people. I think she might get cold as a result of putting so much energy into walking. People mention their dog's attitude changes; I haven't had her snap at anyone, but I do see her withdraw if she is pushed too hard. She will routinely walk or run 5 miles a day during a normal week, and if we are training for a hike we will walk the mileage we expect to do on weekend training walks. Normally, 10-15 miles are easy to fine for her, depending on the temperatures and amount of water sources.
    All of these things considered, I will continue to hike with my dog, but I know a thru hike would be a bad option for us.

Thanks for the insights! what you said for 5 i think is absolutely true of my pup, she has a stimulation point with socializing at least, though she is a lot better than she used to be. Now that you mentioned it i'll be sure to watch her and see if that happens. I already am planning for her to sleep in the bed with me since she does now so thats not a problem and will keep her warm.

i'm trying to get into a running routine of a couple miles a day but it's been hard to get myself into the habit even though i enjoy it But i'll definitely look at some longer hikes local to us for non work days (i don't work m-f, its pretty random)

I think right now a through hike is the dream and we'll definitely do more shorter trips before anything big like that is planned. If all else fails I know she enjoys bike touring so that would be fun to do as well.

How well does she do when the ground temperature is 150F ?

https://www.pcta.org/discover-the-tr...y-basics/dogs/

Can I thru-hike with my dog?Bringing your dog the entire way is not allowed, therefore a “pure” thru-hike by a pet dog is illegal. Leash laws vary, but one regulation that you won’t get around is the total ban on dogs on the trail in some National Parks and California State Parks.You will not be able to hike the entire trail accompanied by your dog. For certain sections, you’ll have to leave the trail. Before the start of a restricted area, go to town and find a place to board your dog. You might have a friend dog sit. Then hike the park and then return to pick up your dog.

Quote Originally Posted by mightywhiskers View Post
    Hi everyone!
    I stumbled on long distance backpacking and the PCT and fell in love with it! I already love the west coast so exploring it is a really exciting idea to me. I've been reading lots of forum posts and watching videos and feel like i'm starting to get planning in the right way, but I do have some questions regarding my dog.
    I realize this is a highly debated topic and I already have read to death the challenges and disagreements with bringing dogs so please do not tell me about them. I am looking for helpful advice only.
    I already live in so cal and am looking at doing section A as a section hike over a week this winter. Though if it goes well then I may look at the logistics of a through hike in a year or 2.
    A little about my dog. She is a 12 pound terrier mix who is 1 1/2 years old, she has energy for days. We have been hiking since I adopted her and really upped the miles over the summer to about 7 in one hike.When running she can run about 3 non stop before taking a break. I am wondering if there is a good way to get a dog more endurance trained, or some good habits that I should adapt. And for those who have done it if we need to be doing a long walk every day or if every few is okay?

Just keep doing what you're doing...hike lots, walk lots, go play ball lots. That's all I do with my border collies (also high energy, high endurance dogs)
    I am not planning on putting any weight on her other than a harness and plan to carry her if she is tired or doesn't feel like hiking even if it ends up being a few days.
    I was also wondering about feeding, my dog is incredibly picky and it's hard to get her to eat even on high exercise days, will this change if she hikes hard for a few days or is it something I should be more worried about when she is putting out so much energy? Also if there is any suggestions for very high calorie dog food, as she needs around 500 calories on a lazy day.

Try Turbo Pup bars...they are what I take on longer hikes...compact, light and my dogs love them (high calorie and tasty). Mine also tend not to be too food-focused after hiking but these they get excited for. I would recommend soaking them though as they are kind of dry and my dogs, who never wolf down food, have tried inhaling them to their detriment.
    I am also wondering about potential extra vaccines that I should consider to get her, we just did a round of vaccines and had an extra one added in to fight off bacterial infections i think (i'll can post which one it is when I go look at the paperwork) as well as she is currently on heart worm prevention and flea/tick prevention. Or on that note anything good to carry in a backpacking dog first aid kit? we have some stuff but suggestions are always nice.

Rattlensnake vaccines are always a good idea when hiking in the desert. I don't carry anything specific for my dogs as far as FA except for a small bag of baby aspirin (safe for them to take)
    Most of my camping and hiking experience is in the desert and I am confidant in that, but I was wondering how well dogs make the change between climates from desert to mountains and snow to forests? does anyone have any experience with acclimating a dog? I already know that my dog gets cold really easy so we have lots of different fleece coats and rain coats. were actually figuring out how to make a custom full body down coat for her for snow, as well as a cooling very reflective draping for desert sun protection.

Never had an issue acclimating my dogs when going from prairie to desert to mountains...they take it all in stride. Desert cactus has been the only real issue for their paws, and really only then the nasty stickers they step on if the plant is prevalent. Mine don't need more than a sleeping pad but they are also long-haired and don't get cold easily.

I realize taking a dog is means that i'm going to be hiking my dogs hike not my own and i'm fine with that, I would not have any fun without her and just want to make it so that we can have the most positive experience that we can have. (also just to put this out there, if a through hike is in our future I would not be one of the hikers trying to sneak their dogs around, I have friends who would be able to watch her for the no dogs allowed stretches). Anyone with dog experience I would be grateful for your help and advice!

dyP044hl.jpg
    Hiking with my dogs is what makes backpacking awesome for me...being alone would not be as enjoyable. And they love getting out there and going...they see their packs and get excited. Mine carry up to 4 days of their own food and their leashes in Ruffwear dog packs. Don't discount having her carry a pack...she could carry a couple of Turbo Pup bars easily.

A small square of CCF sleeping pad that you use as a sit pad works great for a bed, and then since she gets cold, some kind of small synthetic sleeping bag she can curl up in.

Be prepared to carry a lot of water. My dog rinks more water than I do. A lot of people are not as fond of dogs as some of us. Best to keep her under control at all times. She's a guest in the wilderness, the animal life in Section A is already stressed from the natural conditions there. Dogs don't help. Don't forget to bury her poop.

I like taking my dog for hikes, and short backpacks, but I don't think the PCT is the place.

Good luck.

Thanks for your thoughts!
    I have heard about rattlesnake vaccines but i'm unfamiliar with them. Would anyone recommend rattlesnake avoidance training? I don't like shocking or any negative training but if it's something that really works I may be interested in it for her curiosity sakes.

I know not everybody is fans of dogs and i'm not a fan of how everyone interacts with dogs either. I am more of the mind of keeping to ourselves since I don't like her getting surprised and caught off guard. We already step to the side when on the trail passing others, but is there any specific commands that would be useful? i've seen some on the trail running forums, but was wondering about backpacking specifically?

And as far as the poop is concerned we would probably pack it out on shorter trips, she is small enough that it's not too much weight.

Also I was wondering if anyone had any experience with down for dog clothing? Minnow gets cold easily and I am looking at making my own clothes for her so that more of her is covered, and i'm looking at materials. I already use fleece, but i'm trying to think of colder weather and how she would do. (I can tell if she's too hot by her panting so no concerns about overheating)

again thanks for your advice!

For a dog, I'd use fleece or synthetic fiber fill clothing since you dog may need to stay warm when it's wet and down won't do so well wet.

As for rattle snakes, my extremely engaged and curious dog has always ignored snakes including rattling rattlers. It may be worth experimenting with snakes in general to see if your dog is drawn to them to begin with. And, as I understand it, the vaccine is a most reasonable and effective precaution. Also, you might practice calling your dog off things it is very attracted to from toys to other pets, to wild animals like squirrels. Then reward success, of course. My dog will gleefully chase anything she can get to run whether cat, squirrel, deer, horse (never tried a bear), lawnmower or bicycle. However, over time, as she has aged from a puppy to 2 or 3 years old (she is now 6) I became able to call her off of just about anything as long as I catch her before she is in full pursuit. I still can't get her to stop barking at something she's decided is worth barking at, but she almost never barks, so that's not a big problem.

Good luck with your dog. I hope you have lots of fun together in the wild.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Avoidance training is great, but there is also the chance she may not see it, or you may not see it in time. Rattlesnake vaccines are worth the time and minimal cost. It's a series of 2 shots a few weeks apart. I keep trying to convince myself to do them but since we don't backpack in rattlesnake country (generally, I have seen a couple) I haven't done it yet. If I was to do more desert summer hiking I would do it in a heartbeat.

Our dog totally ignores snake. Some people have questions about the vaccine.

Dogs tend to get very protective of their space in the wilderness. They can get quite annoying.

++ New Posts ++