WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Sore Legs

Default Sore Legs

Just got back from the trail and my legs are sore. We went from Pen-Mar to Pine Grove S.P. in super fast time. Now I'm paying the price. I thought I'm in great shape but when you hike with a bunch of animals, your legs are going to feel it! Anyone got a sure fire way to help relieve sore legs?

Don't push too hard? Take potassium supplements before and after. Drink lots of water (that helps prevent cramps). Rub Biofreeze or similar Menthol topical analgesic on your legs.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

foam rolling & stretching before (too late!) and after

Images

My issue with leg soreness comes when I do nothing for a couple days after I get home after a tough week or two of intense hiking. I find if I "taper" when I get home, meaning I keep walking/hiking for an hour a day or so, it helps greatly. I forgot this recently after returning from the hardest 16 days of hiking I've ever done... I was so mentally and physically exhausted, I just flopped on the couch for a couple days, BIG mistake! Intense soreness developed all over my bod... so I got off my butt and started some easy hiking again, voila, soreness gone!

Registered Offender

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Natures Son View Post
    Anyone got a sure fire way to help relieve sore legs?
    Yes. Adaptation. Fitness. More hiking.

Good news! When you get to be my age, you won't have to do anything strenuous to have sore legs -- you just wake up and they're already sore! YEE-HAA!!!

Most important - move. After that, stay hydrated. After that, rubs and liniments that do the trick for you can help, as can a nice soak in epsom salts.

But first, move. Nothing helps sore muscles more than gentle use, IMHO. Don't short-stride or shuffle, stretch things out a bit.

Working the soreness out (as opposed to waiting it out) will help improve things the next time around.

Next time fit the animals with shock collars so you can keep them under better control.

Quote Originally Posted by KCNC View Post
    Most important - move. After that, stay hydrated. After that, rubs and liniments that do the trick for you can help, as can a nice soak in epsom salts.

But first, move. Nothing helps sore muscles more than gentle use, IMHO. Don't short-stride or shuffle, stretch things out a bit.

Working the soreness out (as opposed to waiting it out) will help improve things...
    I agree. Active recovery...go for a short, easy run.

I only ever get leg pain in the beginning of a hike (1st few days)
    To me, it just means I'm out of shape.
    I do carry magnesium pills for those first few days as I cramp up sometimes in my calves.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

+1 for Epsom salts. Don't know why they work and I hate to recommend something like this with no proof to back it up but they do work.

You could also try rubbing snake oil all over them and wait three days (granny recipe)...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by KDogg View Post
    +1 for Epsom salts. Don't know why they work and I hate to recommend something like this with no proof to back it up but they do work.

You could also try rubbing snake oil all over them and wait three days (granny recipe)...lol.
    Epsom salts contain Magnesium Sulfate. In warm temperatures it is easily absorbed by the skin and relaxes muscles.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Natures Son View Post
    Just got back from the trail and my legs are sore. We went from Pen-Mar to Pine Grove S.P. in super fast time. Now I'm paying the price. I thought I'm in great shape but when you hike with a bunch of animals, your legs are going to feel it! Anyone got a sure fire way to help relieve sore legs?
    Be in better conditioned shape beforehand.

High doses of vitamin c prior to activity have been proven in published studies to reduce muscle soreness. Its been anecdotally reported for many years, refuted by some.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-08-2017 at 11:35.

When coming back home from a strenuous hike (or any other sportive event), the first thing I do, get rid of the pack, kiss my wife, and soak in the hot bathtub for an hour or two.
    Cures most of the various aches and prevents muscle ache that would come up the next day.

Epsom salt soak

Magnesium can help relax muscles, but beware, it can relax ALL your muscles, leading to some potentially exciting trips to the bathroom.

++ New Posts ++