WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Best place in January

Firs off if this is the wrong place for this I will move it.
    I am looking for the best view and place to be in the Grand Canyon in the beginning to middle of January. I will only be there for a few hours to a day. I have never been and will be driving by it while on travel for work, and it's a big place to try and see, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    I would do a through hike if it wasn't for job restrictions, so section hiking it is.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I've never been to the Grand Canyon in January, but the GC website indicates that the North Rim is basically closed, and you can expect snow and ice and possible road closures thru out winter (Dec -Feb) on the South Rim.

Images

We've been going to the GC South Rim (yes, North rim always closed from Oct-May) every January for the past half dozen years or so, and this next January will be no exception. The weather has varied from clear and cool and snow-free to frigid cold and a couple feet of snow on the rim. The roads have always been well cleared and easily driveable, but of course during or right after a big dump could be problematic... But there are always plenty of tourist there and the NP does a great job of plowing the roads.

Once you drop a couple/few thousand feet into the canyon, the conditions are remarkably different... almost always snow-free, though one year we had a dusting, maybe 1/2-1" at Phantom ranch (the bottom).

I highly recommend you do try to hike down a bit if you have time. I also recommend the S. Kaibab trail vs. the Bright Angel trail; much more scenic up higher on the trail. Hike down the S. Kaibab trail to at least Ohh-Ahh point, maybe to Cedar Point if you have time, or if you have a full day, maybe further down. If you're very fit, it's really not that big of a deal to go all the way to the river, just be sure to take plenty of water, food and a headlamp. 3 hours down and 7 back up is very reasonable for fit people. But really, lots of great views all along the way.

I would take along microspikes or yaktraks if you have them for the first couple thousand feet of descent. If not, some years in January the trails are still snow/ice free in January, but not usually. Once a snowfall happens, people track down the trails into hard snow and ice pretty quickly, and that kind of snow/ice doesn't generally melt. Some sort of traction device really helps.

The attached pics are from a particularly snowy year, New Year's day in 2015. We originally had zero intention of heading all the way down, so we got a late start (9am or so) in zero degree weather, couple fresh feet on the S. Rim, had a quart of water and a couple energy bars each, headed down intending on maybe half way (Skeleton Point), but once we got there, went ahead and hiked all the way to the River.... made it out right at sunset (we did have headlamps and microspikes). Fantastic way to spend New Year's day!

Last year we did two BP trips down in the canyon in January, this year we already have on on the books.

Enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you for that. Pictures make me want to stop even more. I will have to play it by ear is the only problem, based on time, snow fall, and who is with me. Since it's driving from work, I may have some others with me that won't want to hike or can't. But if it's solo I will definitely take one of those. I always have a decent day pack in my car.
    I would do a through hike if it wasn't for job restrictions, so section hiking it is.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SubSquid View Post
    Thank you for that. Pictures make me want to stop even more. I will have to play it by ear is the only problem, based on time, snow fall, and who is with me. Since it's driving from work, I may have some others with me that won't want to hike or can't. But if it's solo I will definitely take one of those. I always have a decent day pack in my car.
    There are also some really nice simple, easy rim walks for those not too much into hiking down and back up. Start at the Bright Angel lodge area and head west along the rim trail (flat and paved for a good long way). If the west rim bus is running, you can take the bus back from any number of stops along the west rim trail. Or take a bus out to somewhere and walk back. Again, of course, snow/weather dependent.

Even if it's really crappy/snowy, just driving to the south rim area and looking over the multitude of overlooks is worth your while.

Totally agree one traction devices. I went in early march, took one step on the ice covered trail and fell on my keister. I then put my yak trax on. Reccomend Horseshoe Mesa via the Grandview Trail.

Any advice on the spikes. Brand, type, anything like that. I haven't done much hiking in frozen conditions.

++ New Posts ++