WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thanks Shrewd. I enjoyed your TheTrek.com articles as well.

Quote Originally Posted by flemdawg1 View Post
    Hey thanks man

I'm happy to answer any questions you have. I'm bored not being on the trail and love nerding out about gear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, I have a lot of suggestions to shed a lot for weight for not a lot of money.

It looks like you could shed a lot of weight in your big 3. Amazon actually sells a lot of cheap ultralight options for hammocks. There are also some much lighter options for the eno straps too. That one I linked is less than 14oz including straps and carabiners. There are even lighter options but its hard to beat that $20 price tag.

I am also assuming you really like your pillow so I wont even mention that .

It is also far more practical to bring instant coffee rather than any sort of coffee maker. I work in the specialty coffee industry so my standards for coffee are high, even so, its not worth the weight to me to bring a press or pour over. This instant coffee actually taste quite good.. for instant coffee.

Consider this stove. Its not nearly as efficient as a jetboil but it weighs only 25g. If you bring something other than canned food you can go without a can opener. The total of my cooking setup is 0.66lbs.

And like many others have said, you should consider losing the multitool. You can get this knife, it only weighs 15g. Also, you can't beat the weight and function of the saywer filter. This comes with 2 32oz bags which have proven to be plenty of water for me on most hikes. weighs 5oz total with bags. I only bring this compass, It weighs a mere 5g and does exactly what I need it to do. Lose the hydration bladder unless you know you are going on a hike without a water source for more than a day.

Your clothes look pretty good. Except i'm not sure why you are bringing crocks. I usually just go barefoot if I need to get out of my shoes and the weather is nice enough. You could shave some weight on your down jacket. It's not cheap but this is one of the best jackets I have ever owned. Mine is a medium and weighs only 7.7oz!

Hope this helps!

Do you wear the Injinji and the darn tough at the same time? You label them as sock liners on your gear list but it looks like on the Injinji site they are normal thickness socks. Just curious because I recently discovered these toe socks for hiking and was wondering if they are worth it.

I have some ideas that'll save ya a few ounces off of your cook kit/drink system:

GSI coffee pour over .4 oz saves 5.2oz off of the listed coffee press, and honestly I think it works better.

BRS3000 ti stove 24grams and a evernew fd760 ti pot at 2.5 oz drops another combined 6oz

...then if ya do a sawyer squeeze (not the mini!!!) you could drop another 6oz

get a 2l evernew bag and ditch your current heavy hydration sack, re-use your existing drink tube and you will probably shave another 5oz

Total cost on these items is around $100 for over a 1 1/2 lb savings...

Just my ultra critical thoughts(opinions); looks pretty dang good though!

Journal Entries
    Images

I really like my Hennessy Hyperlite Asym Zip. It's netted and comes with a tarp, and in the most unfortunate of circumstances, you can go to the ground with it...there are YouTube vids to show you how. I know Hennessy holds a middle place in the market especially for those who like Warbonnet, etc. But its a setup that works for me and they do show up at Trail Days and you can get their stuff at about half price there. You wouldn't have to spend a lot of money to get solidly good hammock from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewd View Post
    Look at warbonnet, dream hammocks, and dutch extensively

there are other options out there of course, but for netted hammocks those guys are kinda at the top of the game, in my opinion.

Dutch's new hammock, which he called the Swift but is renaming because apparently there's another company that has a swift hammock, is lightweight with a bug net and is like a streamed down Chameleon - his main hammock.

I hiked the whole AT with a warbonnet blackbird XLC (if your 6 foot or taller, get an 11 foot hammock) and was quite happy with it. They just released a nice updated version of the blackbird as well, so it's a great time to buy. If the new features don't matter to you, i reckon you can find an older model for sale at a decent price now.

do yourself a favor and check out hammockforums.net there's a wealth of information over there

open to hammock recommendations as well.
    Warbonnet XLC 1.7 SL as Shrewd recommended.

Best sleep I have ever had.

BigThreeHammock.png

Quote Originally Posted by TTT View Post
    Your clothing is exceptionally light. Unsure what you gonna use the multi-tool for as all your stuff is super light apart from a coffee machine
    Not sure why you thought that when he managed to miss out the weight of most of his clothes, such as the race shirt, socks, extra socks, jacket etc, etc, and when he stated that even his beanie weighs a whopping 3oz (88.72 grams)! My Rab Merino Beanie weighs just 0.64oz (18 grams)!!! And there is no way a MH Windshirt weights 1oz!...Thats just 29.57 grams!...The lightest shirt MH currently makes weighs a whopping 110 grams! My OR Echo Tee weighs 74 grams and the only t-shirt lighter than that is the Rohan Ultra Silver Tee (The lightest T-shirt in the world) which weighs about 56 grams. He needs to buy an accurate digital kitchen scale and carefully weigh every item ho has, as most of his figures currently seem like nothing but guesswork!

Quote Originally Posted by dman72289 View Post
    Do you wear the Injinji and the darn tough at the same time? You label them as sock liners on your gear list but it looks like on the Injinji site they are normal thickness socks. Just curious because I recently discovered these toe socks for hiking and was wondering if they are worth it.
    i tried them and didn’t like them. Others wouldn’t hike without them, so personal choice and experience. Don’t go without Darn Tuff! (Or Farm to Feet if that’s your choice).
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

He helped me the most right before I left for my Thru this year! I carried lighter, compass, and whistle but dumped the matches. I also loved the CNOC Bag with the Reg. Sawyer Squeeze. I switched to the Platy 2.0 Big Mouth for gravity tube feed and the wide opening. Switched to the Smart Water Dirty Bottle (when I left the gravity bag hanging on a tree) and then finished with the Evernew. I saw more Sawyers than anything else and everyone used a scoop at one time or another so it was a must carry item, which also takes care of the small mouth issue.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Quote Originally Posted by gbolt View Post
    He helped me the most right before I left for my Thru this year! I carried lighter, compass, and whistle but dumped the matches. I also loved the CNOC Bag with the Reg. Sawyer Squeeze. I switched to the Platy 2.0 Big Mouth for gravity tube feed and the wide opening. Switched to the Smart Water Dirty Bottle (when I left the gravity bag hanging on a tree) and then finished with the Evernew. I saw more Sawyers than anything else and everyone used a scoop at one time or another so it was a must carry item, which also takes care of the small mouth issue.
    Hahaha thank you sir!

In point of fact the only time I had to use a scoop there was one already there. I ditched mine figuring I’d use my lot then boil water in it.

Anywho, I’m looking to pick up a cnoc for the oct next year, glad to hear it worked for you

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++