WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I’m not alone on “The Complete Walker”.
    Wayne
    Read the intro "Why Walk?" online. Looks like good stuff. I put in a request with the library.

Inter library loan. Of course. If they still do that. Or buy used.
    Whatever it takes.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

For a total newbie I'd recommend a trip to your nearest backpacking store and start talking to the clerks. I know, some are clueless but some aren't.

The first thing I would purchase is a sleeping mattress of some sort, either a walmart blue pad or Thermarest inflatable like Prolite or NeoAir.

Then I would start sleeping outside every night in your backyard or back deck---and get used to sleeping on these backpacking pads. Just throw some blankets or quilts you already have over you for warmth---

It takes a good while to really get used to sleeping on the ground. Keep doing this until you decide you either really love sleeping outside or you hate it. If hated you just saved a bunch of money on gear.

Walking a bunch is really a poor way to prepare for backpacking unless you hike with a training pack of about 40 lbs. This weight will mimic what it feels like to drag into camp after 8 hours of hiking. And then fiddling with gear to set up camp, eat and sleep. Most Americans walk but few camp---so the need for a bunch of bag nights in the yard/porch/deck by the house.

Images

Yeah, they still do that.

OP, have you camped before? In a tent? Might want to try that on for size before thinking about 3-4 day trips. Do some research about sleeping gear because having a comfortable sleeping arrangement will be a big factor in whether you want to go further.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    . . .The first thing I would purchase is a sleeping mattress of some sort, either a walmart blue pad or Thermarest inflatable like Prolite or NeoAir.
    Then I would start sleeping outside every night in your backyard or back deck---and get used to sleeping on these backpacking pads. Just throw some blankets or quilts you already have over you for warmth--- . . .
    And, if you want to take it a step further with affordable and versatile gear, after finding your sleeping pad:
    1) Go buy (or find in your closet) an 8 x 10 blue (or other color of your choice) polyethylene tarp from your local hardware or outdoor store, probably about $9.99.
    2) Also from your closet or a local hardware store or outfitter or craft store, pick up, 50 ft of paracord, color of your choice, to make guy lines, about $5
    3) Also from your closet or a local office supply or hardware store, pick up a dozen or so rubber bands, about 1/4 or 3/8 wide for guy-line shock-absorbers so your cheap tarp will work and not self-destruct even in heavy winds, about $3.
    4) For stakes, you can use aluminum gutter spikes from your local building supply store (these actually work really well!), or stop by your local outfitter and pick up some cheap aluminum tent stakes for about $1 each, about $8 total.
    5) If you don't have a puffy light quilt from your bed, or you just want an alternative, Ikea sells their Tilkort 100% polyester comforter in twin size for $14.99 which makes a fantastic 2 lb sleeping quilt, probably equivalent to about a 30 or 40 degree sleeping bag, but more comfortable.
    6) For a ground sheet, if you don't have an old plastic shower curtain or table cloth laying around, you can buy some cheap plastic sheet (window shrink film cut to size is super popular for its toughness to weight ratio) from the local hardware or home-improvement store, about $8.

Total shelter and sleep system ~ 4-5 lbs.

Then, stop by Sgt Rock's tarp pitching page and read some great, simple, basic tarping instructions - pick one or two pitches to play with, and go for it in your back yard, or a local park, or wherever you can find space.

Finally, and most importantly, go do it, however you choose, and have fun!
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

As a one trip newb, I'd add to the mix of good advice already given that while it may seem like a small step to go from overnighting to 3-4 days on the trail, it may be a bigger one than you anticipate. I wont bore you with the details but after a bit of car camping followed by the purchase of a travel trailer and tow vehicle I came to the crossroads...do I merely like being in the woods(and maybe hiking(I'm actually a mountain biker, first)) or do I truly desire the whole experience of LD hiking? I'm not getting any younger so rather than let father time make that decision for me, I decided to do a week section in southern PA. After finalizing my gear, doing daily hour long test hikes in the 'hood with full pack and generally being ready there was the wait to the appointed weekend...during which time I had the unfortunate epiphany that once I stepped out of the car at the trail head "IT" was real and while certainly not even as risky as my 20 years of racing motocross, you'd better not be having second thoughts and doubts at that point. Which raised the question, how do you know if you're up to the task and nearly as important, will enjoy the journey? As has been pointed out, do that in steps/increments. And if truth be told after a week on the trail with ZERO problems, I'm still not sure if I want to pursuit this seriously or just be happy I had a good time and can say I know what its like to do it. In my case I know a bit of my motivation came from not wanting to wake up one day and realize I missed trying something many say is life changing(for me I spent so much time paying attention to the trail etc I did NO real soul searching or deep thinking, so maybe my life has yet to be changed ) Good luck

Keep a diary of each hike (and take lots of photos.) If your memory's good, write it when you get home. Either way, just do it. You won't regret it. Then end each trip report with a short summary of what went well, and what didn't.

Make appropriate adjustments for your next hike. Rinse and repeat.

Develop a standard inventory / packing list. Picture yourself at the starting trailhead. What will you need? You needn't carry every item on every hike, that's not the point. The point is to consider each item and to know what's in your pack when you set off. You'll never arrive at a distant trailhead missing some critical item.

(I made similar lists for sailing, skiing, road camping, etc. -- outdoor activities that involved gear and long drives beforehand.)

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Get cheap or borrowed gear
    Do an overnight 15 mile hike, easy terrain
    Then next a 3 day 30 mile hike, typical AT

Still having fun? Go buy some gear. Now youll have some idea what you want.

Target gear wt, ( base pack wt) under 15 lbs . People here will help.

Be prepared to spend a sizeable amt of $. Light equpment
    Isnt cheap. Probably closer to $1500 than $500.

Get the real lightwt bug? How deep are pockets?

If you stick with it, it WILL cost more $ to buy gear twice, than $$$$ gear once.gHave at it
    well said. I would say this, barrow gear and keep in mind that if the reason your not having fun is the gear/ weight that that can be revised when buying your own gear.

I would also encourage you to find the scope of what you want to get out of your hikes; if it is short miles, peace and & solitude then expensive lightweight gear may not be a requirement.

If you find a love for walking as many miles as you can in a day then pricey lightweight gear is a requirement.

keep in mind that when buying gear there is a triangle for products 3 words. Cost, weight and durability. Think about that a little bit, its hard to get all three, easy to get 2 in a product.

Trails to test your new passion out on near you: Foothills Trail, Art Loeb Trail, AT, MST, Benton McKaye Trail, The Smokies, Pisgah

Companies you can buy gear from and KNOW your getting a good product?
    ULA, Zpacks, Western Mountaineering, Montbell, Enlightened Equipment, komperdell, Leki, OR, Big Agnes, Hilleberg, Exped, Sawyer filters. NOTE: there are many other quality companies not mentioned these are just the companies i like to buy from.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

-

Oh, come on - you all are making it way to complicated, how about:

Loaf of Bread, Pound of Tea

“Who has not felt the urge to throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." -John Muir

and he got a nice trail named after him

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    ADDENDUM:
    Oops! I forgot my down vest which was replaced by my new Christmas present yesterday:
    The Bangledeshi Un-puffy Non-hoody down sweater.
    Brand? Where from?
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

I'd like to add a stage between day walks and overnight walks. Here we call them basecamps. Go somewhere where there are a number of trails, set up camp like you would on a through or car camp and walk a number of days in a row with a reasonable amount of weight. Eat meals like you would on a multi day through etc.

We just find that is a good progression for new bushwalkers. Some will stop at that stage realizing that multi day walks won't be for them.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Quote Originally Posted by jjozgrunt View Post
    Brand? Where from?
    L. L. Bean.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I would suggest you read Andrew Skurka’s book The Ultimate Hiker’s Gear Guide. That will help you pick out gear and understand “systems.” https://books.google.com/books/about...kp_read_button

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++