Just wanted to share some impressions from the ALDHA Gathering this past weekend. It was my first time attending. (My hiking experience: I haven't hiked in about 15 years and am planning a thru-hike next year.)

1) I appreciated that there was a lot more about the experience of hiking the AT than tips and suggestions on gear and logistical issues. Just before the Gathering I blogged about getting wrapped up in being what I sarcastically refer to as "that special breed, the hopeful thru-hiker."

2) It was an opportunity to see what the AT community was like in the past. My first camping experience was in 1975, the summer before I started high school, at a camp run by the youth division of the Unitarian-Universalist church. It reminded me of that. (I even spotted some tie-dye!)

3) I came away with a more positive perspective on doing a flip-flop.

4) It reminded me that the thru-hike, and hiking in general, is not about gear or shuttles or hostels, etc. It's about the sounds and smell of the natural world and opening your heart to it. It's about the challenge of overcoming obstacles. It's about camaraderie.

5) It was the only activity I have ever been to where not a single person of color was present. I'd welcome thoughts about that.

Thanks to the organizers, workshop leaders and attendees for an eye-opening and motivating experience.