WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

If a hiker walks 5,000,000 million steps...how many would a dog walk? Lots of year and tear on a pup...just my opinion.

If a hiker walks 5,000,000 million steps...how many would a dog walk? Lots of wear and tear on a pup...just my opinion.

maybe think about taking the dog on the 2nd thruhike, so you know what the dogs up against
    i agree it can be very tough on most breeds! most dogs would not do well... some do.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post
    I've owned 7 dogs in my life. I was also smart enough not to hike with them. . .
    Wow. If any of your dogs were anything like mine, or many other hiking dogs I've met and known, I sure feel sorry for them!

I have little doubt that my dog is not average and that most average dogs might make poor hiking companions. But, for the many dogs that love hiking, are bred for endurance outdoor living and have owners that love hiking with them, I don't think your advice or point of view is particularly apt.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    That sounds like an owner problem than a dog problem.

And, as for eating m&m's and taking up shelter space, I've had way more problems with human hikers causing those problems than I have had with dog hikers. If that is your metric for not being allowed on the trail, we should kick all the human hikers off the trail first and foremost.
    shelters and m&m's are for humans.

Quote Originally Posted by cliffordbarnabus View Post
    shelters and m&m's are for humans.
    You're just a speciesist. In 50 years, to protect their reputation, your great grandchildren will be denying their relationship to you like Ben Affleck did his great grandfather over racism.

That being said, just like I hate obnoxious, self righteous drivers on the road, I hate obnoxious, self righteous dog owners that don't take into account the comfort and serenity of the people around them. If one is thru-hiking with a dog, one should be prepared to camp away from others, even in (maybe especially in) the worst weather, and if their dog can't keep from eating other people's food, they probably shouldn't be allowed to be around other people when food is present.

But again, that's an owner issue, not an inherent dog problem any more than all people that smoke should be banned from the trail because some people that smoke do so without consideration of others.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Images

Some good advice here but only you can know what your dog could do, I mountain bike with friends and one guy brings his dog that can outrun us all on the hottest 30 mile days.

I did a month long hike with my dog when he was younger and I know it would be to much for him now but never had a problem with his paws with all the miles of hiking his pads are like a rhino's butt.

Also never had a problem with other hikers we met with - always tented unless a shelter was empty - never leashed but would ask approaching hikers if it was O.K., My dog doesn't go after wildlife and pays no mind to people unless they had a biscuit to share.

Dogs are really easy to train - within a couple of months he was all trained with voice commands and just gets smarter with age.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    You're just a speciesist. In 50 years, to protect their reputation, your great grandchildren will be denying their relationship to you like Ben Affleck did his great grandfather over racism.

That being said, just like I hate obnoxious, self righteous drivers on the road, I hate obnoxious, self righteous dog owners that don't take into account the comfort and serenity of the people around them. If one is thru-hiking with a dog, one should be prepared to camp away from others, even in (maybe especially in) the worst weather, and if their dog can't keep from eating other people's food, they probably shouldn't be allowed to be around other people when food is present.

But again, that's an owner issue, not an inherent dog problem any more than all people that smoke should be banned from the trail because some people that smoke do so without consideration of others.
    dogs are property they have no rights. Dogs are not allowed anywhere. PEOPLE are allowed to bring their dogs with them when they go out in the world. I agree with your comparison to smoking. The difference is that there are fairly strong social norms in place with regard to smoking in public spaces and I've found that most smokers are aware that most people don't like smoking and they do their best to respect that view. However, most dog owners seem to think their love of their dog, and the fact that they see it as a "family member" some how makes it special -something that needs to be tolerated by others - similar to that of a rambunctious poorly behaved child. Ya know -the dog has a name, it has personality, it lives in the home, and share lots of family experiences -so therefore it's like my child. Dogs are not people.

It's that

I will remind everyone that this is the Dogs on the AT subforum and rules for this subforum state that it is not the place to argue whether dogs belong on the trail or by extension whether dogs can be brought on a thruhike. Because some dogs HAVE actually thruhiked without having been overly traumatized. Some breeds and individual dogs have what it takes to make it. If your answer is always no to dogs on the trail or dogs thruhiking then this subforum isn't for you. Don't temper your no with advice you don't really mean, just put the subforum on ignore. You are not really helping anyone if your suggestions are just a charade.

Focus on keeping this thread specific to the OP and his dog. One of the underlying goals of this subforum is to help dog owners improve both their and their dogs on trail behavior. It is expected that this will be done in a respectful manner.

I am not only talking about this thread specifically some of the issues pertain to other threads in this subforum as well.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by D2maine View Post
    full disclosure its fair to put it out there that you obviously have some advantages over a traditional thru if you are vehicle/camper supported...
    The two-vehicle plan was because of the dog. Every through hiker uses support vehicles. They may be paid shuttles/taxis, or they may be people that picked them up hitch hiking. I thought both those sounded like they'd be more difficult with a dog.
    As was mentioned above,if you have a dog, and want to through hike, what are you gonna do? Everyone's dog is different. We had very little doubt when we started that Scout would be fine, and he has been. We saw dogs on the trail we may not have felt the same way about. A lot of people have told us that they looked forward to seeing Scout on the trail, because he looked so happy and cheered them up. We stayed at shelters rarely, partly because we were concerned about how people would feel about the dog. The first time we did, because it was late and raining, the other person there said he welcomed the dog there because he'd keep the mice away! People also noticed, and commented, that Scout would not get in a shelter unless asked. Nothing we taught him, but I suppose he looked at it like getting on the bed with us!
    Scout hasn't been perfect, but he's been great to have along. Like my wife, he's made the hike so far a little more difficult, but a lot more fun!
    And as has also been mentioned, I've personally witnessed, as have most others we've talked with, much more objectionable behavior from human hikers on the trail than all the dogs put together. Just sayin..

IF you are asking for opinions on whether people would personally bring their dog on a thru hike, my vote would be no. I say no because they dog didn't ask to do a thru hike, you want to do a thru hike and have the burden of a dog. Not only is it a substantial amount of wear and tear ont he animal that will absolutely shorten its life, but it is taking away from your hike as well, as causing a substantial amount of cost and logistics that are not rewarded with having a better time. I personally will probably not get another dog after mine kicks the bucket because I am for 1 not companionate enough to have a dog, and 2 because I like to travel too much and the dog is a burden.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I asked my dog if he'd like to go on a hike . He cocked his head to one side , farted and then walked away.

Quote Originally Posted by Francis Sawyer View Post
    I asked my dog if he'd like to go on a hike . He cocked his head to one side , farted and then walked away.
    i asked my dog what that meant, he said that means later, not right now.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Francis Sawyer View Post
    That sounds like a "NO" to me.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    That sounds like a "NO" to me.
    Sounds more like "Im'a go think about it" to me

Journal Entries
    Images

Kyle Rohrig hiked the AT three years ago with a dog, and he hammock camped. If you're on social media, you can friend him and ask him pointed questions about his experiences. He is pretty responsive.

https://www.facebook.com/kyle.rohrig.7

Quote Originally Posted by Speakeasy TN View Post
    I'm really torn. Hollywood is great on the local trails but I don't know how he will handle the distance but then again it could be me that breaks down. He's good at staying close to me on a 25' retractable and stays on the trail. I had considered attaching the retractable directly to my pack. Is this the best way to go? Anybody got experience using a hammock instead of tent? Seems like extra lines to get tangled in. Convince me to take him and have fun!

I hammock camp with dogs. At our packs largest we were two Fila Brasileiro, one dogo Argentina and a border terrier. As a pack we've hiked the Northville placid trail in new york through many times. I plan on hitting the AT with one of my dogs, nobody 2018. If we didn't regularly hike over ten miles a day and have more than 100 nights under the hammock I don't think I would have even considered it. Be sure you want to live this way for 5-6 months. You'll Want to go into stores or the post office. Considerations will Always have to be made for the dog. Have you practiced leaving them outside a store alone? Have they slept outside in all forms of weather? Does your dog walk along the trail without approaching everyone they see? These are just some of the things you should consider.

Quote Originally Posted by Speakeasy TN View Post
    I'm really torn. Hollywood is great on the local trails but I don't know how he will handle the distance but then again it could be me that breaks down. He's good at staying close to me on a 25' retractable and stays on the trail. I had considered attaching the retractable directly to my pack. Is this the best way to go? Anybody got experience using a hammock instead of tent? Seems like extra lines to get tangled in. Convince me to take him and have fun!
    As you can see, there are a variety of opinions about this. With these types of quandaries I usually refer to the "If there is a doubt, there is no doubt" decision. If there is a doubt that causes you to ask for help "convincing" you to take the dog along, there is probably little doubt as to the answer.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++