WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Neels Gap?

Default Neels Gap?

Simply enough can I leave my vehicle there for a week?
    Just a quick out for a few days then back again.

Not at the store but you can park at the Byron Reese trailhead right down the road. Fairly safe spot.

I know people have also used the state park just down the road too.

You do have to pay to park at Vogel State Park. $5/day or $55/yearly pass.

For my upcoming trip, I'd like to park at Byron Reese. When we finish our hike at Neels Gap I assume we can just quickly walk the road back to BR? If BR is full I hear we can park down at Vogel. That seems to be a little further of a walk on the road.

So my questions are these. What is the safest way to get from our ending point ( Neels Gap ) to the Byron Reese parking area, or if that is full, Vogel State Park?

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Byron Reese has a 0.5 mile blue blaze to the trail. Connects right before the climb up Blood Mtn. Only issue with Byron Reese is that it gets full quick (especially on weekends) and parking is heavily enforced by USFS. Parking is only allowed in marked spaces.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Viking View Post
    Byron Reese has a 0.5 mile blue blaze to the trail. Connects right before the climb up Blood Mtn. Only issue with Byron Reese is that it gets full quick (especially on weekends) and parking is heavily enforced by USFS. Parking is only allowed in marked spaces.
    Thanks Tennessee Viking. Good to know. So if the Byron Reese is full and we end up parking at Vogel. Do you know the trail situation from Vogel to get back to Neels?

Easy road walk down to Byron Reese from Neel Gap if you want to take the AT all the way to Neel instead of taking the Byron Reese trail as a shortcut.

Vogel I would try to hitch down to. Should be a pretty easy hitch.

Why not start at the other end at Amicalola or FS 42? Better parking and better end of the trail. If you want to hike to Blood Mt, park at Woody gap and approach from the south. These options should be less busy then Neel Gap. If you want to go north of Neel Gap, park at Unicoi gap and go south.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by jax_o's_fan View Post
    For my upcoming trip, I'd like to park at Byron Reese. When we finish our hike at Neels Gap I assume we can just quickly walk the road back to BR? If BR is full I hear we can park down at Vogel. That seems to be a little further of a walk on the road.

So my questions are these. What is the safest way to get from our ending point ( Neels Gap ) to the Byron Reese parking area, or if that is full, Vogel State Park?
    It is definitely a longer walk from Vogel, but it isn't required to walk on the road (but you may choose to do so). From Vogel, you can follow the Backcountry Trail to Duncan Ridge Trail, hang a left and follow it to the AT. Turn left at AT to go to the shelter, or right to go towards Woody Gap. It connects near Blood Mountain shelter. This is not easier than walking the road. It is, however, much safer.

I belong to a number of forums. From computers forums to truck forums. You all are great and always so helpful. This is exactly the info I was looking for. Thank you very much.

We wanted to start at Neels gap, go nobo to Dicks Creek gap. However, we cant go till June18th. Is that a bad time of year to hit that part of trail, that is, do you think it will be too hot then? is that part fairly shaded or open?

Images

it is easy to get in there at Byron reece . i have all my customers park there and never had a problem . it is 2 tenths of a mile from neels to Byron and from neels to vogel it is about 4 miles . i would not worry about it . you should be all good . it does fill iup on the weekends but not first thing in the morning or when it starts creeping towards the end of the day they all clear out . Donald " grateful " ballard ... the further shuttle Appalachian

++ New Posts ++