WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    cheap liquor, after all it is vacation - I should have bought the good stuff
    I quit buying cheap liquor before I was 22. If I can't afford to buy decent liquor I'll just make iced tea until I can.

Quote Originally Posted by TTT View Post
    My nightmare is zips. There is no standard as to how it un-clips at the bottom.
    My nightmare is converting miles to kilometers and gallons to liters
    My nightmare is converting Fahrenheit to centigrade
    My nightmare is converting European to USA to Asian sizes
    As someone who travels in Europe a fair bit I feel your pain.

1 km = .6 miles
    1 liter = ~.25 gallon (1 quart)
    F to C (rough) subtract 30, divide by 2 (60F comes out as 15C, it's really 15.5)
    C to F - double and add 30

These will at least keep you in the neighborhood and I find they're pretty easy to remember.

For sizes, afraid I can't help there, except most shoes have both listed on the tongue.

As an European who is reading US stuff a lot, I find it very easy to deal with different units:

Miles to kilometers:
    Our hikes in the Alps are so much more tedious and difficult, that you are not too far off to think of 1 km equals to 1 mile.
    On a really tough hiking day I might cover 20km horizontal, so I belive that I could hike a 20 miles per day pace in your part of the world.

Liter to gallon:
    US hikers are educated to drink so much more water than we do, so while you might calculate a gallon a day, we calculate a liter per day.

Thanks for the rough conversion of temperatures, I was missing this so far.

Regarding sizes, we hardly buy new clothes or shoes, just use old stuff for the outdoors.

To the original topic, If I were buying new gear now, I would not buy again:
    Ultralight stuff like the Exped UL sleeping bag I'm using now.
    It works, but is so terrible flimsy, made of such thin and fragile material, that I'm constantly afraid that it will suddenly break.
    And, its cut very narrow and with a short zip only, so I can slip in only just-so, and lie straight on the back and not move around much at all.
    Next buy, I will go for the "Light" version, not the "Ultralight".

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

I consider everything I bought when I started part of the learning process, but just to give the short answer to your question about 95% of my original gear. I started off with an Osprey Crescent 90 pack, some huge super heavy Thermarest pads, a large overrated synthetic bag, and a bunch of other unnecessary crap.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

Images

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    I've gone to the cottage industry folks for a while now and really like their stuff.
    For packs, tents and some of the other larger items I concur.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DownEaster View Post
    Down gear. I've got a sleeping bag, jacket, two vests, and booties made of down, and I'm bringing none of it on the AT. Instead I'm taking a new synthetic bag, jacket, and vest with me for next year's through-hike.

The AT is a wet trail. If the humidity rises during the night (typically with increasing temperatures) you can wake up in a sweat-soaked sleeping bag or quilt. The bag/quilt won't dry out until the humidity goes down, and wet down is useless. Wet synthetic insulation is miserable, but won't kill you. You can try to keep your down gear out of streams and the rain, but sweating and respiration (if you tuck your face inside the bag/quilt in your sleep) can still cause problems.
    To each his own. Been using down gear (bag and coat) on the AT for years, and have had no issues. Been out in rain for a week at a time, and the worst was a little dampness on the down items after several days.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++