Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1

    Default Damascus lodging

    The girlfriend and I are looking for a place to stay for 1 night before hitting the trail the next morning for a section hike. We will be getting into Damascus around dinner time and would like a private room for the night. Dont need anything fancy, just clean. I stayed in a hostel 2 years ago that was brand new and clean but I couldnt find it online. Not sure if they are in business anymore.

    It would be fun to stay in a rustic B&B or something but alot of those places want you to stay at least 2 nights and are kind of expensive. Again we are basically just rolling into town, eating and then going to bed to wake up early for the hike so Id rather not pay over $100 for such a short stay.

    Thanks folks!

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-20-2002
    Location
    Damascus, Virginia
    Age
    58
    Posts
    30,878

    Default

    Woodchuck's Hostel or Crazy Larry's hostel

  3. #3

    Default

    There's more than 1 hostel in Damascus now? What about the Place?
    Back to the Earth I screamed, and no one listened.
    Back to the Earth I lived, and they all followed.
    https://smokebeard.wordpress.com/about/

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-20-2002
    Location
    Damascus, Virginia
    Age
    58
    Posts
    30,878

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    There's more than 1 hostel in Damascus now? What about the Place?
    i would not send my worstest enemy there. the caretaker is very unfriendly

  5. #5
    ME => GA 19AT3 rickb's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-12-2002
    Location
    Marlboro, MA
    Posts
    6,402
    Journal Entries
    1
    Images
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i would not send my worstest enemy there. the caretaker is very unfriendly
    I have never met the caretaker, but I have heard he can be a kind soul if you are not a drunken, self-absorbed prick.

    Perhaps you should get to know him better?

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-20-2002
    Location
    Damascus, Virginia
    Age
    58
    Posts
    30,878

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    I have never met the caretaker, but I have heard he can be a kind soul if you are not a drunken, self-absorbed prick.

    Perhaps you should get to know him better?
    you heard wrong.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-10-2005
    Location
    Bedford, MA
    Posts
    12,683

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i would not send my worstest enemy there. the caretaker is very unfriendly
    That was my experience earlier this summer.

  8. #8
    ME => GA 19AT3 rickb's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-12-2002
    Location
    Marlboro, MA
    Posts
    6,402
    Journal Entries
    1
    Images
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    you heard wrong.
    Actually, just posting crap. I was thinking you were looking in on The Place and were referring to yourself in a pithy way.

    My apologies — you know best (and I know nothing on this).

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-20-2002
    Location
    Damascus, Virginia
    Age
    58
    Posts
    30,878

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Actually, just posting crap. I was thinking you were looking in on The Place and were referring to yourself in a pithy way.

    My apologies — you know best (and I know nothing on this).
    oh. i getcha. haven't looked in on the place for quite a few years

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-29-2016
    Location
    Purcellville, Virginia
    Posts
    60

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blue indian View Post
    The girlfriend and I are looking for a place to stay for 1 night before hitting the trail the next morning for a section hike. We will be getting into Damascus around dinner time and would like a private room for the night. Dont need anything fancy, just clean. I stayed in a hostel 2 years ago that was brand new and clean but I couldnt find it online. Not sure if they are in business anymore.

    It would be fun to stay in a rustic B&B or something but alot of those places want you to stay at least 2 nights and are kind of expensive. Again we are basically just rolling into town, eating and then going to bed to wake up early for the hike so Id rather not pay over $100 for such a short stay.

    Thanks folks!
    Mrs. Montgomery has a fine old home with rooms she makes available to courteous and responsible folk. Sounds like your interests would fit well with the place.

    103 E Laurel Ave, Damascus, VA 24236
    (276) 475-3053

    https://g.co/kgs/WJf3jz

    Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

  11. #11

    Default

    Woodchucks was great!

  12. #12

    Default

    We like Woodchuck hostel! I wonder if they will do a shuttle...

  13. #13

    Default

    Any comments on the Hikers Inn?

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-20-2002
    Location
    Damascus, Virginia
    Age
    58
    Posts
    30,878

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blue indian View Post
    Any comments on the Hikers Inn?
    nice also. no shuttles though.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-20-2002
    Location
    Damascus, Virginia
    Age
    58
    Posts
    30,878

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blue indian View Post
    We like Woodchuck hostel! I wonder if they will do a shuttle...
    yes, he shuttles

  16. #16

    Default

    Cool.

    Im gonna call Woodchuck today and see how much they wanna charge for a ride and see if I can reserve a room. My original plan was to take the IMT out of town and link to the AT back to Damascus. But Im not crazy about the shared use trail thing. Ive hiked trails with mnt bikers before and I wasnt keen on it. I wasnt able to relax and enjoy the walk. I was always looking over my shoulder for someone traveling 20 mph down the trail to avoid being run over. Apparenly motorized bikes and horse are allowed in some sections too

  17. #17
    Nalgene Ninja flemdawg1's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-31-2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Age
    45
    Posts
    2,368

    Default

    Lot of hotels in Abdington. Stayed at the Red Roof Inn 3x.

++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •