WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I sort of have something now. With REI gift card and sale, a Sierra Designs Tensegrity 1 FL joined my quiver of shelters for a mere $40. It has one small hoop pole at the feet but is otherwise trekking pole supported. If I hadn't had that reason to shop there, I'd likely have gone to a cottage manufacturer, probably SMD (Skyscape Scout) but I'm not certain. But I was pleased to find something like what I did at REI.

Go Lite used to make good stuff for reasonable prices and now they are using the name My Trail - check out their stuff at mytrail.com. They have a cheap ultralightish pack and down jackets, shoes. Especially if they have a sale. Steep and Cheap is also a great way to get stuff. They have a browser extension that will notify you of their flash sales as they happen all day long and sierratradingpost.com always has last year's gear for cheap. Much cheaper than elsewhere often. I've gotten stuff there for about a third of the price elsewhere - packs, smartwool long underwear, bridgedale coolmax socks which are awesome, Ghost Whisperer down jackets which are warm and super light, etc. All at sierratradingpost. But check out mytrail.com for their packs.

We should start a thread of places to find great gear at discount prices.

Travelcountry.com is another

I'll do it

So I was gifted a tarptent from a fellow wb'er.
    1lb 6 oz.

I went ahead and bought a 4.5 lb Teton for $40 It's non returnable and not under warranty. As soon as I get it I an going to see if there's anywhere to modify it to lower weight.

Thanks to Dutch's sale my Apex was $53.
    I also spent about $10 on things for a as yet unnamed diy project.

I'm finally making what feels like forward progress in the gear department.

I would probably buy the same stuff I'm using now
    Feathered Friends "Hummingbird" sleeping bag.
    Integral Designs "Sil Shelter" (haven't seen a better design in 20 years)
    I did buy a new pack last year as my Go-Lite breeze wore out, I bought a "Burn" by Mt. Laurel Designs. I bought their medium, but probably should;ve gotten the large. Pack is big enough but the opening is sometimes too small.
    My stove is fine: "Pocket Rocket"
    My cookit: Evenew pot handle has now been re-riveted onto it's 4th aluminum 1.3 lilre pot now. (again I haven't seen a better handle design in 20 years)
    My long johns: I have switched over to Merino Wool as they don't stink like the old polypro.
    My Frogg Toggs are good, but the newer lightweight ones are much lighter. (are they as durable? Probably not, but they are cheap, so have a spare jacket ready anyway)
    What else? My Photon II microlite is all I've needed for light on my last 4 thru-hikes.
    Haven't seen anything lighter or better.
    Still using my cheap blue pad although I would switch to a blow up thermorest or something if they get to be under 6 oz. someday (I'm sure that day is coming)
    So, what's new out there they I would switch too? Not much.
    I'm happy with my gear.

NOw if I could have a new right knee? (not the implant kind, just the one I was born with, but new)
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

If I was buying my gear today it would be most about buying less.

GAME 06

If I was buying my gear today I would buy??

New Stuff!!!!

On a serious note. Hmm.

I hated the ZPack Soloplex I purchased. Fortunately it is mostly worn out now. It was a huge pain to set up on anything but perfect ground, would blow down in a big wind, and was microscopic in interior space. I notice they have come up with an external pole system which makes it nearly freestanding which is a good improvement. But I have switched to a fastfly setup from BigAgnes which weighs the same as the Soloplex/pole setup (and the BigAgnes is a 2 person tent!) and has about 3 times the interior room and one can actually sit all the way up in it which is impossible in a Soloplex.

I would design my own pack by using parts from a Zpack Arcblast and a ULA Ohm 2.0. Which I have sort of done by using parts from both of those packs I own. Both have great features but both have big faults. The norm I guess.

I would like carbon fiber poles but I am too cheap so far. But they save you 1/2 lb. My problem is I tend to break poles occasionally and having the Leki guarantee is invaluable.

I want to go back to about 30 yrs old and do it all over again. Just another thing I can't afford.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming View Post
    . . . I want to go back to about 30 yrs old and do it all over again. Just another thing I can't afford.
    30? Hell, 19, so long as I get to keep my accumulated wisdom.

Without the accumulated experience I don't need to just repeat the past. I'll just keep suffering and limping along as I slowly die. Life is a journey after all.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    I would probably buy the same stuff I'm using now
    Feathered Friends "Hummingbird" sleeping bag.
    Integral Designs "Sil Shelter" (haven't seen a better design in 20 years)
    I did buy a new pack last year as my Go-Lite breeze wore out, I bought a "Burn" by Mt. Laurel Designs. I bought their medium, but probably should;ve gotten the large. Pack is big enough but the opening is sometimes too small.
    My stove is fine: "Pocket Rocket"
    My cookit: Evenew pot handle has now been re-riveted onto it's 4th aluminum 1.3 lilre pot now. (again I haven't seen a better handle design in 20 years)
    My long johns: I have switched over to Merino Wool as they don't stink like the old polypro.
    My Frogg Toggs are good, but the newer lightweight ones are much lighter. (are they as durable? Probably not, but they are cheap, so have a spare jacket ready anyway)
    What else? My Photon II microlite is all I've needed for light on my last 4 thru-hikes.
    Haven't seen anything lighter or better.
    Still using my cheap blue pad although I would switch to a blow up thermorest or something if they get to be under 6 oz. someday (I'm sure that day is coming)
    So, what's new out there they I would switch too? Not much.
    I'm happy with my gear.

NOw if I could have a new right knee? (not the implant kind, just the one I was born with, but new)
    I read an in depth review and it appears the Sil Shelter has no floor and no bug screen?

https://backpackinglight.com/00163-2/

Did you use this on the AT or for general backpacking?

Still, with the bug liner added, the Sil Shelter looks inexpensive. http://www.moontrail.com/integral-de...erbugliner.php

It goes from 40 square feet internally to a lot less space, and the liner adds about a pound, so that it starts to get into the weight range of the new version of the Copper Spur -- but had less than half the price.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post

Without the accumulated experience I don't need to just repeat the past. I'll just keep suffering and limping along as I slowly die. Life is a journey after all.
    aint that the truth.....could be fun to go back knowing what I know now.....I've thought the same thing many times. although it might be a paradox in a way.... all the great things that we have and love now probably wouldn't be. We'd go into things with a different mindset, different goals, different approaches to things....and therefore we'd end up in a different place. Very interesting thing to ponder.....

GAME 06

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post

Ahh...well I was pretty much a complete idiot when I was 19 - a common affliction I know. So I would not wish that person on anyone.

And I would be pretty concerned about the damage a 19 year old could do with the knowledge of the 63 year old me. Sort of like putting an assault rifle in the hands of a child - and we know where that leads. I might end up in charge of everything - none of you would want that to happen Or maybe I would end up being a doctor like my mother wanted - it was actually a good idea but sounded boring at the time.

I just picked 30 because I miss being sprightly. Every day is a challenge anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by SwathHiker View Post
    Look at Uniqlo's jackets for certain as they have sales and you can get a decent ultralight down for $49.
    How's the quality on these?

Don't discount evolution.

What we'd buy today isn't what we'd likely or could buy in the past. So, it can't be assumed we would necessarily have been any more kit "right" in the past. What we knew then is less than what we know now. Markets and tech have evolved too.

This is the great gear merry go round that riders assume will get them to that Nirvana kit that always seems just one more revolution ahead. It keeps us in our saddles on the merry go round locked into a cycle of buying, consumption, dissatisfaction, perfection seeking, and rebuying cycle of endless shopping.

Journal Entries

If i wanted different gear

I would have different gear.

There are a few different things i might like to have for limited circumstances, but I wont allow myself to buy them because I just wouldnt use them enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming View Post

I would design my own pack by using parts from a Zpack Arcblast and a ULA Ohm 2.0. Which I have sort of done by using parts from both of those packs I own. Both have great features but both have big faults. The norm I guess.

Just curious - what are your big faults with the Arc Blast? I’ve been thrilled with my Arc Haul after 350 miles so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    If I was buying my gear today it would be most about buying less.
    Same here. Over the last 25 years (and particularly the last 5) my gear has gotten steadily simpler, lighter, and in many cases, cheaper. If I were to start over now, I would skip a lot of the more expensive things I've bought and focus on the basics.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++