WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    Switch back to a bag in the fall every year. Basically at about 40F. I could probably go to about 20-30 with a better quilt. Width is definitely an important factor, add in whether you toss and turn a lot, gotta avoid letting drafts in. At the lowest temps, consider thoughtfully the r-value of your pad. Self-inflating pads can be pretty low in that regard.
    This is what I came to say.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I can’t touch that number. Don’t plan to either.
    33 ounce Wide Body Jumbo Jet 20 degree bag. Current comfortable night low temperature is 12 degrees Fahrenheit. Looking forward to 10 degrees.
    My last two nights in Wyoming. First night tent fly only. Second night spent sleeping on the fly.

Different strokes for different folks.
    It’s all good. Being out there is what matters.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nice looking bag! I had one just like it, I think. WM Alpinlite, correct? Comfy and roomy. Not beating a dead horse, but I did sell mine to a lady here on WB after I got comfy with my 21 deg quilt.

And yes, It's all good and all about being out there! Heading out tomorrow to Canyonlands for four days. I hope our actual paths cross sometime! We think a lot alike despite our bantering.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Nice looking bag! I had one just like it, I think. WM Alpinlite, correct? Comfy and roomy. Not beating a dead horse, but I did sell mine to a lady here on WB after I got comfy with my 21 deg quilt.

And yes, It's all good and all about being out there! Heading out tomorrow to Canyonlands for four days. I hope our actual paths cross sometime! We think a lot alike despite our bantering.
    Completely off-topic but I was in Canyonlands a couple of weeks ago...that place is just awe-inspiring.

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    Completely off-topic but I was in Canyonlands a couple of weeks ago...that place is just awe-inspiring.
    Agreed. It’s on my short list.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Rob,
    Right you are. Alpinlite Long. I’m only 5’-8”. The Long version is overkill for me. I couldn’t resist a deal.
    One of these days we’ll run smack into each other.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by IslandPete View Post
    The quilt is the business! You won't look back. 20 deg, and if you're too warm, just stick your feet or arms out...
    What pad are you using at 20 degrees?

I use a 0* quilt and will NEVER go back to a bag. I ground sleep, usually with a tarp but occasionally in tents. I lay straight on top of my sleeping pad and pull it over me. the bottom is boxed in like a mummy and I put my feet in the box and pull the quilt over me. I can roll on my sides, turn onto my stomach or lie on my back. I have put down a piece of tyvek on the snow, layed my mat on the tyvek and layed down on the mat and pulled my quilt over me at 6*F and sleep comfortably all night long. Too hot? Only cover up enough to stay warm. THE SINGLE BEST PIECE OF EQUIPMENT I HAVE EVER BOUGHT BUT DONT GO CHEAP! Buy a quality quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    Quilts are just like blankets at home. If you toss and turn there you will on the trail. I like the ability to change positions without feeling like I am in a cocoon. I still have my TT Notch and use quilts in it, but my hammock is more comfortable. Quilts have a foot box to keep your feet warm and keep them covered when you pull the the top up around your neck. If your not using a hammock, you should have a sleeping pad or mattress with a high R rated to keep your backside warm especially in cold weather. With a hammock you can use your mattress/pad or get an under quilt for that same reason. I have a winter and a summer under quilt. If you get warm using you quilt you can always stick an arm or your feet out.

The choice is yours my friend because what works for me, may not work for you. Good luck.
    Just like with a mummy bag, you have to learn how to sleep with a quilt. When I first tried a mummy bag it was very frustrating trying to move around inside it until I learned that you wear the bag just like you wear a sock...you don't try to move around inside it, you allow the bag to move with you as you change position. With a quilt it is exactly the opposite, you move underneath it while leaving the quilt in place, otherwise you're going to let cold air in and warmth out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    Just like with a mummy bag, you have to learn how to sleep with a quilt. When I first tried a mummy bag it was very frustrating trying to move around inside it until I learned that you wear the bag just like you wear a sock...you don't try to move around inside it, you allow the bag to move with you as you change position. With a quilt it is exactly the opposite, you move underneath it while leaving the quilt in place, otherwise you're going to let cold air in and warmth out.
    I've sort of looked at the bag the same way
    ...problem though is that during the night my tossing and turning isn't always conscience, so inevitably the blasted thing will end up twisted....sometimes so as to give harry Houdini a run...
    that's why I can't imagine ever going back to a bag.
    The only reason I can even imagine might be some sub zero arctic type situation where maximum warmth is required.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    Wish I'd known that a few years back! I paid attention to length and was entirely ignorant of girth.
    I had the same problem with mine, but I found that I can lie comfortably in any position, unless i want to bend 1 leg and keep the other straight. The restriction in my bag forces me to bend both legs or keep both straight.
    My evolving gear list, some links provided
    https://www.geargrams.com/list?id=44571

To each their own, get all the advice you can, then figure out your own path.

I use a 20* EE quilt with my gf until it hits the hi teens and then we switch to -30 sleeping bags which are way overkill for anything higher than 0 degrees. It doesnt matter, shes warm and happy and is surprised that she can enjoy Winter camping/hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    I've sort of looked at the bag the same way
    ...problem though is that during the night my tossing and turning isn't always conscience, so inevitably the blasted thing will end up twisted....sometimes so as to give harry Houdini a run...
    that's why I can't imagine ever going back to a bag.
    Bronk's advice that "you wear the bag just like you wear a sock" is easier to follow if the bag fits more like a sock. So more girth (roominess) than your body needs means more potential to get twisted in the excess material.

Many people think they need a roomy sleeping bag for comfort. I've found that the most comfortable bag has enough room for me to adjust my arm positions, and no more.

Size does help...I can move around in a mummy bag just fine without getting all twisted up, but I'm petite and the bags are always sized up.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++