WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

:banana Trail Temps and bugs

I'm starting a 8 day section hike in Smokies this Monday. Start RT 64 end at Gatlinburg.
    Bugs out there still?
    Day and night Temps on the trail?
    are the trees still covered in leaves?

Thanks in advance.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

While all the bug won't be totally gone, this time of year they are not a MAJOR problem. I'd pack a small thing of DEET just in case you get bothered, but don't expect to use it.

Use Mountain-forecast.com to get a weather outlook at some of the various peaks in the park. For example, the forecast at Silers Bald on Monday calls for an inch of rain with temperatures in the low 60's all day and all night long. Once the rain leaves, I would suspect based on recent forecasts that temperatures on top of the mountains will be closer to mid 40's.

There should be leaves on the trees through out most the month. A typical year has the peak left color in the upper elevations about mid-October at the upper elevations, and towards the end of the month at the lower elevations. I heard the leaf color was turning a little early this year so you might be there at the perfect time for seeing fall colors.

Journal Entries

I never experienced bug problem on southern AT , not once. I avoid it totally in july-aug however. Def. No prob in any fall sep-nov walks I taken.

With a little luck, ill be out for a week in a couple of weeks for my annual look at the leaves
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-05-2017 at 11:44.

Thank you Both....

No bugs, expect highs in the 60's at elevation and the 40's over night. Keep an eye out for storms, with a storm all bets are off. Colors should be good..

prepare to get wet thanks to Nate.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Longboysfan View Post
    I'm starting a 8 day section hike in Smokies this Monday. Start RT 64 end at Gatlinburg.
    Do you have your permit for the campsites/shelters you plan to stay at in GSMNP? Most shelters along the AT are already booked for next weekend, and you're not eligible for the GSMNP-AT Thru-Hiker permit.

Hurricane Irma blew a lot of the leaves off trees in the central sections of the Park when she came through. I have hiked a few trails recently in the Smokies where the leaves were several inches thick on the trail and what should have been a shady hike was in full sun! None of that should matter next week since rain is in the forecast. Color is good up high where the leaves are still on the trees.

++ New Posts ++