WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Have we all been brainwashed into using tents?

When we look at pictures of backpackers camps, tents seem to be a dominant theme, we rarely see tarps or open camping (no shelter).

Do we equate backpacking with tents because it is profitable for tent manufacturers?

Is our obsession with tents being central to backpacking kinda like the use of prescription drugs by doctors instead of also considering alternatives from physical therapy, to behavior changes, to nutrition to herbal alternative or whatever?

Like traditional American medicine tents can be highly effective and easy to use, but, they are often not the best choice and they are rarely the most affordable or the only alternative to solving the problem at hand.

The abundance and our overdependence on prescription drugs is driven largely by the opportunity for profits for large pharmaceutical firms. They make the drugs that solve some of our problems and then they promote them heavily to doctors and patients alike so they are the first if not the only solution we migrate toward to fix a problem, even if they are not the best option available.

Don't get me wrong, tents can be great especially during the depths of a bad bug season or when camping above treeline in the mountains in the winter. But, as one of the first pieces of equipment people buy? Backpacking any of the great long-distance backpacking trails in North America doesn't require a tent. It would be so much more rewarding for people to spend limited cash on a better backpack and better sleep system than an expensive, necessary shelter.

As brought up in another thread about tents:

Is there anyone out there that has used a tarp extensively in the past and now chooses to use a tent almost exclusively?
    If so, why the change?

Also, who all has switched from dominantly tenting to dominantly tarping? Why?
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Inertia. Tradition. And because they work.

It's mental. Camping=tent. Often, but not always, or even most often the best solution. Get a copy of The Complete Walker ​for a good discussion of this (and almost any other) topic.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Courses for horses.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

You should buy a hammock.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Aversion to bugs, crawling things and wet ground underneath me. I really love the hiking part, I merely like the tenting/camping part. With a tarp, I suspect that like would tip over into dislike.

A few years ago I started a thread asking everyone to convince me into buying a tarp. I really wanted to go down that route, but i had a lot of questions and misgivings.There was much discussion of pros and cons, and ultimately went with a Tarp Tent Notch. Unfortunately, if I am a victim of addiction and brainwashing, it would be impossible for me to recognize or for anyone to convince me to change. At least I'm not a member of a cult, like the hammockers.

I use a Duplex, a tarp or tarp+bivy, or a Duomid, or cowboy camp depending upon the season/conditions for a particular trip.

I don't think I'm brainwashed, but then that's what brainwashed people think. Hmm...

However, it is true that people in general associate backpacking and camping with tents. And fires. And S'mores. And dangerous animals. Etc.

Not brainwashed, just familiar with them. When I got back into Backpacking I bought a tent because that’s what I used in Boy Scouts & the backyard growing up. I knew tents (and cowboy camping) and hadn’t been exposed to real camping Hammocks, tarps, or bivies. A tent was a known quantity, kind of like basic arithmetic, so it was a good starting point. I’ve since researched tarps and bivies, but landed in a hammock and love it. Guess I’ve moved up to geometry HYOH

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Tarptent for me.
    Switched over in '98 and haven't looked back.
    Hiked 8500 miles before I switched (when I used tents) and 12,000 miles since with the tarptent.
    My first tarp/tent in ('98) was the Black Diamond's "Megamid" which I used for my 1st CDT hike, the HRP (Pyrenees) and Grand Canyon kayak trip.
    But, that was 2+ lbs!
    So, I switched over to the Integral Designs "Sil Shelter" in 2000 and have been using it ever since.
    Just finished the Via Dinarica using it.
    Great shelter: 12 oz. and Many different options for setting it up.

For bugs, I stake it tight and use a headnet.
    I'll sacrifice a few mosquitos buzzing in my ear for a lb of weight (almost) any night. (and I like not leaving my bag to pee!!!
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    When we look at pictures of backpackers camps, tents seem to be a dominant theme, we rarely see tarps or open camping (no shelter).

Do we equate backpacking with tents because it is profitable for tent manufacturers?

Is our obsession with tents being central to backpacking kinda like the use of prescription drugs by doctors instead of also considering alternatives from physical therapy, to behavior changes, to nutrition to herbal alternative or whatever?

Like traditional American medicine tents can be highly effective and easy to use, but, they are often not the best choice and they are rarely the most affordable or the only alternative to solving the problem at hand.

The abundance and our overdependence on prescription drugs is driven largely by the opportunity for profits for large pharmaceutical firms. They make the drugs that solve some of our problems and then they promote them heavily to doctors and patients alike so they are the first if not the only solution we migrate toward to fix a problem, even if they are not the best option available.

Don't get me wrong, tents can be great especially during the depths of a bad bug season or when camping above treeline in the mountains in the winter. But, as one of the first pieces of equipment people buy? Backpacking any of the great long-distance backpacking trails in North America doesn't require a tent. It would be so much more rewarding for people to spend limited cash on a better backpack and better sleep system than an expensive, necessary shelter.

As brought up in another thread about tents:

Is there anyone out there that has used a tarp extensively in the past and now chooses to use a tent almost exclusively?
    If so, why the change?

Also, who all has switched from dominantly tenting to dominantly tarping? Why?
    Well, multifaceted question.

wilderness hiking for pleasure is fairly new activity, as human history goes

soldiers of bygone eras used to wrap their gear up in their blanket, and throw it over across their body, over shoulder.
    It was thicker and more padded, and more comfortable than a rucksack.
    They also carried simple A frame tarp with open ends.

Travellers often sought lodging at farms, residences, plantations, etc. Sometimes sleeping on someones hay surreptitiously.

Given the small size and light weight of todays gear, a tent is a perfectly reasonable choice. As is a sleeping bag instead of thick 5 lb wool blanket.

But your right, people of the past would probably think we were nuts to confine ourselves in tiny frail cocoons. And to leave the skillet and hatchet at home. Why, cant even stand up inside! Cant stay inside in day, too hot!. But on the other hand, they keep rain out and bugs at bay, and dont weigh much..

I use a shaped tarp. I like to be able to look out and watch rain, hail. I like ventillation. I like the protection the shaped tarp provides, and that it sheds wind well . Can use bugnet, bug bivy, or just groundsheet under. And the tarp only weighs 7.7 oz. Downside...its quite cramped for headroom. But its for sleeping. Ive spent a day under it during downpours....I had to read, sleep, etc lyiing down. Gets old.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-04-2017 at 20:28.

Every time I tried to cowboy camp on the AT, the dew dropped and I got soaked, or it would start to rain in the middle of the night. Bugs were also an issue, from Virginia to Maine. Heavy rains often soaked the ground, so I wanted something dry underneath. Since many lightweight tents are not much heavier than a tarp, and a lot easier to set up and good for year around use, I prefer a tent. They also have a lot more headroom than a bivy or a low set tarp.

Have been using a hammock, but "went to the ground" this spring just to "see if I could". Was surprised at the generous amount of space tarping provided, much better than a tent, and made note of how much warmer I was in the month of February as compared to hammock.
    On the downside my 4'x8' polycro groundsheet seemed small leaving personal odds & ends sliding off the groundsheet while I slept. It was a clear night & the experience was a good one, but could see myself obsessing about site selection & things of that nature in the event of an oncoming storm. Staying dry is a big deal to me.

Journal Entries
    Images

I use a tent in very cold, windy rain scenarios and a hammock every other time. I prefer to look up and see stars or tree canopy when possible. I suck it up and carry a tent just in case. I would rather a good nights sleep in terrible weather than to have a miserable day because I couldn't. Also nice to have a place to change clothes when other people are around that may not want to witness such an event(doesn't bother me.. I'm not shy)
    My evolving gear list, some links provided
    https://www.geargrams.com/list?id=44571

To each their own, get all the advice you can, then figure out your own path.

I tried hammock camping and hated it. I roll around all night and never found them comfortable but, that's me. I actually like being in a tent, on an inflatable pad.

I tent about 75% of trips. The weight is often worthwhile for extra warmth, bug protection, ease of setup (especially if rain)

If conditions are right, I enjoy the tarp option

When taking my tent, I leave the fly off if conditions are right. Makes it seem like less of a box

A tent is a usable solution on 99+% of all trips. A tarp is a usable solution on 70-80% of all trips. (This is for the environments where I backpack. Your numbers may vary.) I figure, why take the risk of being thoroughly miserable from bugs or horizontal rain? Lyme disease and hypothermia aren't hazards you want to treat lightly.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post

In short, no. The prevalence of tents and pharmaceuticals are not analogous. As an aside, since this is not the forum for the US health care system, I don't know where you get the idea that doctors don't consider physical therapy and other treatment modalities. Perhaps your doctor doesn't, but it's too broad a brush to use for everyone's experience.

You seem bothered by the thought that many people don't like tarps as much as you. HYOH. Feel free to make your case, but people will be happy to tell you their own reasons for what they prefer. Maybe you should go on some group backpacking trips, set an example with your tarp, and see if you make any converts. If you don't, you can ask why.

After 20 years of sleeping under a tarp in the infantry I welcome and love my tent. Plus to many nasty things here, or as someone on the AT said to me this year " I'd love to hike in Australia, but everything is trying to kill you".
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

People are used to sleeping in a box of some sort and a tent is a good facsimile. Plus tents provide good all round protection from the elements. Tents are a good match for the conditions found on the AT, hence they dominate. Western hikers might make different choices.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++