WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

I was forced to "cowboy camp" an entire year in VietNam in the worst conditions imaginable and consider a nice three season tent pure luxury. That coupled with a NeoAir pad and a fluffy down bag and I'm in Heaven, never discount the importance of a genuinely good nights sleep on the Trail to make the hike more pleasant, that's what it's all about imo.
    "every day's a holiday, every meal a feast"

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    When we look at pictures of backpackers camps, tents seem to be a dominant theme, we rarely see tarps or open camping (no shelter).

Do we equate backpacking with tents because it is profitable for tent manufacturers?

Is our obsession with tents being central to backpacking kinda like the use of prescription drugs by doctors instead of also considering alternatives from physical therapy, to behavior changes, to nutrition to herbal alternative or whatever?

Like traditional American medicine tents can be highly effective and easy to use, but, they are often not the best choice and they are rarely the most affordable or the only alternative to solving the problem at hand.

The abundance and our overdependence on prescription drugs is driven largely by the opportunity for profits for large pharmaceutical firms. They make the drugs that solve some of our problems and then they promote them heavily to doctors and patients alike so they are the first if not the only solution we migrate toward to fix a problem, even if they are not the best option available.

Don't get me wrong, tents can be great especially during the depths of a bad bug season or when camping above treeline in the mountains in the winter. But, as one of the first pieces of equipment people buy? Backpacking any of the great long-distance backpacking trails in North America doesn't require a tent. It would be so much more rewarding for people to spend limited cash on a better backpack and better sleep system than an expensive, necessary shelter.

As brought up in another thread about tents:

Is there anyone out there that has used a tarp extensively in the past and now chooses to use a tent almost exclusively?
    If so, why the change?

Also, who all has switched from dominantly tenting to dominantly tarping? Why?
    This is one of the more interesting discussions I have seen on here lately. My path has been from tarps to tents to hammocks with some back and forth thrown in.There are many aspects to think about regarding the tent vs. tarp vs. hammock choice. I think a poll might reveal that many backpackers are not using just one shelter system. I have all three and pick one for any particular trip based on an ever evolving set of personal criteria. Personally, I really like to sleep in the open as much as possible. So, currently, a hammock without bug netting is my first choice. I do not use the tarp over it unless necessary. Even when I do use the tarp I like to use poles to hold the sides of the tarp up to give me an unrestricted view of the forest around me. When I do go to a tent I find that I like to use a tent with two vestibules so I can tie back the fly on both sides to give me that sense of being out in the open as much as possible. I have noticed that most other backpackers I have been out with seem to like the cocoon of privacy/security? that a tent with full fly provides. With few exceptions they always use the fly and fully close their vestibules at night. I have seen only a couple instances of fellow backpackers using the tent body only or cowboy camping. Overall I think the prevalence of tents is due to a combination of privacy/security and the fact that tents are what most people are more familiar with and they probably also have the easier learning curve for new backpackers.

As far as marketing hype goes. I think it is a fact that with a few exceptions anyone who backpacks can use a tent but not all can use a tarp or hammock so there are more people buying tents.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I have a tarp. I use it sometimes.

My TarpTent Notch is pretty darned light; going to tarp + bug net saves about half a pound. (Tarp + bug net + footprint + line add up to a little over a pound, the Notch is 27 oz if memory serves).

I've seen Coach Lou's and cmoulder's setups - in fact, last winter there was one night that I pitched right between them. They work for Coach Lou and cmoulder.

I like how setup is a no-brainer, and how it adapts to pretty much all the conditions that I hike in, snow, wet, bugs, wind (I have the half-solid inside panels), etc. Throw it in the pack, and I'm good to go.

I think it's telling that I own a lighter-weight shelter and use it less often.

One of these days I'll try hanging. (Aside to Just Bill - I've only done a couple of backpacks in the last year or so, it's been crazy out. I know I owe you stuff.) That's primarily to broaden the range of campsites, because some of my hiking is in places where unobstructed ground, even the size of a Notch, is very, very hard to find.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Man, I love tarps in a blowin' rainstorm. They keep out the bugs, too!

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    Man, I love tarps in a blowin' rainstorm. They keep out the bugs, too!
    Not everyone has the skill and experience to properly set up a tarp. That's what tents are for.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    Not everyone has the skill and experience to properly set up a tarp. That's what tents are for.
    Hammocks are for people who like to show off. "Look at me, I'm sleeping in the air."

OK buddy come back to earth with the rest of us mere mortals.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Guilty as charged. Why do you think my moniker is "Clueless Weekender?"
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Hammock camping is just Tarp camping with a suspended bivy bag.
    True. And for most, significantly more comfortable than an on-the-ground bivy.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    A few years ago I started a thread asking everyone to convince me into buying a tarp. I really wanted to go down that route, but i had a lot of questions and misgivings.There was much discussion of pros and cons, and ultimately went with a Tarp Tent Notch. Unfortunately, if I am a victim of addiction and brainwashing, it would be impossible for me to recognize or for anyone to convince me to change. At least I'm not a member of a cult, like the hammockers.
    Hey it’s a great cult. We have Kool-Aide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I looked Long and hard into Tarp renting but with the big collection here in Florida and the wet ground. We went the Hammock route.

But with lightweight tents, although pricey, I can get a 3-person tent at 24 oz. sharing weight with my wife we’ve found a tent can be lighter (when sharing the weight).

But if I lived and hiked mainly out west I would mostly like use a Tarp exclusively.

Our weeklong trip in Utah only reenforced this idea.

Your mileage may vary.

Journal Entries

Not everyone has even idea of how to select place to put tent. I met a few that pitched in low spots, and woke up wet
    Wont happen many times before catch on though.

With a tarp, you notice you need to move a wee bit sooner. Ive had to do so even though i thought i had a good spot

Quote Originally Posted by tflaris View Post
    I looked Long and hard into Tarp tenting but with the bug collection here in Florida and the wet ground. We went the Hammock route.

But with lightweight tents, although pricey, I can get a 3-person tent at 24 oz. sharing weight with my wife we’ve found a tent can be lighter (when sharing the weight).

But if I lived and hiked mainly out west I would mostly like use a Tarp exclusively.

Our weeklong trip in Utah only reenforced this idea.

Your mileage may vary.

Typos. From my fat short fingers.

I camp mostly in the SE and use a tent in all but the coldest, driest weather because bugs.

When I was still living in Australia I rarely used a tent, mostly I used a small tarp (1980s Big W tent fly) which is likely why I ended up with Ross River Fever. Since I moved to the UK I mostly use a tent because everywhere I go seems plagued with midges or its tipping down with wind driven rain.

Like others I use all kinds of shelters. I'd like to say it's based on conditions but honestly it's more based on whim. Tarps are fun to play with. I recently experimented with making a "box" from a 12x10 flat tarp that has many guyouts:
    DSCN2630-X3.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images

So, Patman is that large scale origami? ��

yes exactly! I had started that out as a high A frame and was getting some spray so I started messing with it and wound up with that.

Another night on that same trip saw this variation:

Shaped tarps are cool too and quite usable even in the winter:

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++