WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default My experience and advice along the AT

Hello!

I have started a website about hiking and backpacking, which contains guides, trail review and hikers' column. I have published an article about my experience along the Appalachian Trail (and referencing whiteblaze.net obviously!) and how to get started. Let me know what you think!

https://hikingspree.com/hiking-appalachian-trail/

PS: There is no ad on the website.

Journal Entries

Congratulations on your hike and your blog, hkingspree. Thank you for having no ads.

This part was interesting:
    Invest in a lightweight overnight backpack. There is no need for any pack larger than 40 liters and even that is large.
    and then followed by:
    HIKE YOUR OWN HIKE
    Seems like that phrase must mean different things to different people. Your advice comes across as "Hike your own hike, as long as it's [super]ultralight"

The thru-hiker survey done by thetrek.co for the AT in 2016 found an average of 57L capacity. Median appears to be 60L, and mode 65L. The claim that 40L is "large" for the AT strikes me as an extreme position; about 90% in this survey had bigger packs than that, and of course, none of these figures takes into account body size, which affects the weight and volume of shelter, clothing, sleep system, food, water, etc. One size does not fit all.

https://photos.thetrek.co/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/thru-hiker-backpack-capacity-graph.png

Quote Originally Posted by cspan View Post
    This part was interesting:
    More often than not, I see HYOH used as an excuse for someone being a douchebag. "Here's how you should do everything, else you're doing it wrong, but hey, HYOH."

"Avoid the crowds by hiking faster or slower". This doesn't really work as there will always be a crowd either ahead of you or behind you.

"You only need a 35* bag as your hiking in the summer". Well, that depends on when you start or finish. A February start or an October finish will require a much warmer bag.

"You only need a 40L pack" I suppose if your only hiking in the summer and doing big miles and get to town to resupply every couple of days, since you won't have room for more then a couple days worth of food. I can use a 35L day pack for an overnight in the summer when I know it's not going to rain. I've used a 45L pack for long distance hikes, but that's a little marginal at times. 50L would be better.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    More often than not, I see HYOH used as an excuse for someone being a douchebag. "Here's how you should do everything, else you're doing it wrong, but hey, HYOH."
    Interesting, I've not heard it used that way. In contrast, in my experience, its usage is more like this:

UL Hiker: "Here's how you should do everything, else you're doing it wrong"
    Me: "HYOH" [silently, if I'm in a good mood]

I often see the HYOH mantra being used mostly on interwad Forums. Such as---

"I want to put my tent up in the shelter."
    "That's cool, HYOH."

"I always take my dumps right on the trail and leave stained toilet paper."
    "No problem, HYOH."

It's also used to stifle conversation and opinions.

Journal Entries
    Images

Some opinion in the article but, the overall was great. I enjoyed reading it. Thanks for sharing
    My evolving gear list, some links provided
    https://www.geargrams.com/list?id=44571

To each their own, get all the advice you can, then figure out your own path.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Let's not blame all the unsolicited advice on the UL hikers! I've had plenty of traditional hikers tell me what boots to wear...

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    Let's not blame all the unsolicited advice on the UL hikers! I've had plenty of traditional hikers tell me what boots to wear...
    Just reflecting my experiences.
    That's interesting though. I've yet to have someone comment on my footwear. I do find many hikers who want me to notice and approve of their new boots, though.

Thanks for all the feedback. I tend to be a little too much in my own bubble and not take into account the different styles of hiking, that's a problem and I'll try to work on that! My opinion is just that, an opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    To be fair, it's mostly the UL guys though.

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    To be fair, it's mostly the UL guys though.
    From my own UL sample of one (me) I can say that I have never offered unsolicited advice to heavy haulers (or anyone else, for that matter) on the trail, but on a few occasions have been questioned as to whether I have "enough stuff" (Harriman State Park) or "adequate footwear" (Devil's Path, Catskills) and was told in no uncertain terms (during a conversation that was starting to get rather snippy at the top of Slide Mtn in the Catskills) that my UL practices were a danger to myself and my rescuers. Somebody even called the cops once, thinking I was a day hiker because of my lack of "stuff."

I have friends who have also been quizzed by rangers (Wonderland and Zion) as to whether they had enough "stuff".... Of course nobody ever questions someone carrying 70 lbs for a 4-day hike if perhaps they might be carrying too much crap.

However, when the inevitable question arises on WB "How do I lighten my pack?" I would humbly suggest that ULers have more answers than heavy haulers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hkingspree View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback. I tend to be a little too much in my own bubble and not take into account the different styles of hiking, that's a problem and I'll try to work on that! My opinion is just that, an opinion!
    Apparently you did a fairly fast hike during the warm months and that allowed you to use a small pack and minimal gear. That worked for you but doesn't really apply to the majority of thru hikes, most of which start in March or early April. I've seen a number of hikers that time of year trying to go UL and suffering due to a lack of warm clothes and a bag not nearly adequate for the kind of weather they were in.

Giving advice on gear is tricky since there are so many individual variables. You pretty much have to cover all the options with pro's and con's for all the different choices.

Your general overview of the AT was well done. Of course it's the gear advice which we can nit pick at.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

I started thinking about this when I was replacing gear. My mantra became HYOH, as lightweight as you feel comfortable with. What works for you may not work for me or vice-versa. There is no "Best", there is only what works for you.
    Blackheart

I couldn't find much to criticize. I read it twice before this caught my eye:

Hiking in such a forest has its benefits. Having a campfire is an easy proposition. If you wanted, you could make a fire every night of the trail.
    I don't think that's quite true, and second, or desirable. From what I've observed, it's not the norm.

I love a campfire as much as the next guy. But they really are somewhat at odds with "leave no trace."

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    . . . That worked for you but doesn't really apply to the majority of thru hikes, most of which start in March or early April. I've seen a number of hikers that time of year trying to go UL and suffering due to a lack of warm clothes and a bag not nearly adequate for the kind of weather they were in.

Giving advice on gear is tricky. . .
    I like reading over the gear surveys of hikers that have finished the AT or PCT each year.
    Often the gear that is most popular is also the gear more people would most like to change.
    Some of the most loved gear by a large percentage of hikers is also some of the most disliked gear by another large percentage of hikers.
    Thermarest Z rest is the most popular pad and the one most people would to trade out for something different next time.
    A 20 degree quilt is a larger percentage of peoples favorite gear, but also a 20 degree quilt is one of the pieces of gear that a large percentage of hikers would exchange to something warmer.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

++ New Posts ++