WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Resupply @ Fontana Dam

I am leading a small group of HS students on a 3 day loop out of Fontana Dam. On our return we will stay a night at the Fontana Hilton before heading home the next day. Would like to pick up burgers,buns, chips, etc. for a cookout that night. Quickest place nearby to do so? Also, are there grills available at the picnic area at the visitor's center? Thanks in advance

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 4shot View Post
    I am leading a small group of HS students on a 3 day loop out of Fontana Dam. On our return we will stay a night at the Fontana Hilton before heading home the next day. Would like to pick up burgers,buns, chips, etc. for a cookout that night. Quickest place nearby to do so? Also, are there grills available at the picnic area at the visitor's center? Thanks in advance
    Well, theres a store in the village.
    Why not leave food in car for when you get back?
    Leave meat frozen, in decent icechest, with dry ice and it will be frozen 3 days later. Or even regular ice if enough.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-03-2017 at 11:01.

there's a whole lot of nothing nearby, except Fontana Village

From the Hilton, you'll need to call the village shuttle (there's a fee) and they can take you to the general store at Fontana Village. From what I remember this past spring, there aren't any fixings for a cookout. The Village is designed to have you eat at their own eateries. There is a basic hiker resupply and that's about it.

Images

there is a grocery store in robbinsville..............20-25 minutes away...

i cant recall any grills in the area of the dam-----but then again, i really dont look for them.....

my guess---and strictly a guess-----is that there are grills in some of the pull offs with picnic tables...

also-----i think cable cove has grills in their site......

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Hit up Fontana Village will need to hitch/shuttle from the dam or the NC28 crossing.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

There does not seem to be any picnic areas in the Fontana village area. You'd have to drive into the park to find one, and it would be a fairly long drive to the nearest one. In that case, you might as well spend the night at a park campground instead of the hotel.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

If they start and end at fontana dam for a loop, im betting they have vehicles there.....great for stashing ....grills...food...chairs

Me....id head for pizza

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    There does not seem to be any picnic areas in the Fontana village area. You'd have to drive into the park to find one, and it would be a fairly long drive to the nearest one. In that case, you might as well spend the night at a park campground instead of the hotel.

what about around the dam---the visitors center---or the road that goes into the visitors center/AT trailhead?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    what about around the dam---the visitors center---or the road that goes into the visitors center/AT trailhead?
    Theres a pay campground below the dam

https://www.tva.com/Energy/Our-Power...tana-Reservoir

Halfway down that page is a link to a odd named recreational facilities. It says there are picnic tables available, which implies maybe grills. There is also a phone number for the visitor center, they can give you all the answers.

Further on up the road a few miles at the TN/NC border is a motorcycle store / restaurant that sells burgers and fries, if you are interested in NOT cooking. I'd call and get their hours first, tho.

Images

Further on up the road a few miles at the TN/NC border is a motorcycle store / restaurant that sells burgers and fries, if you are interested in NOT cooking. I'd call and get their hours first, tho.

yeah..........forgot about that place..........if its the one im thinking of----right near one of the roads to the villiage...

and it, meh, ok food...........nothing special..............but coming from hiking, it might be good....

and yeah----not sure if they close for the season or what...

-

walmart sells yeti cooler knock offs for about 1/3

your stuff should stay cold for the duration, also a cheap grill or 2 to be safe

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

the entire area surrounding the fontana hilton is the picnic area. tons of picnic tables. i cycle up there at least once a week. however, i'm a vegetarian, so i don't have a "grill eye", but i do believe there are grills.

I appreciate all the replies. I am going to take food and a grill (to be safe) so we do not need to drive after returning to the shelter.

++ New Posts ++