WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Need some 3 person Tent Ideas

Going to be going on a couple overnighters with the girlfriend. Want to move to a 3 person tent for this. Price is important here. We will be splitting up the load so not looking for the Zpacks answer.

What are some options I can look at?

Need many more specifics, such as on limits on price, weight, frontcountry vs. backcountry use, and why not a 2P tent (such as around 35-40 sq ft).
    Also, if by "not looking for the zpacks answer" you're also ruling out other trekking-pole-supported tents, why (other than price)? You don't have to split a tent into fly and inner in order to split the weight and volume in 2 backpacks. One person can take the entire tent, while the other can take something(s) else to balance that off.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

If price is the main concern then I highly recommend Eureka! tents, they're a longstanding company who's bombproof tents don't get enough respect in my opinion.

If you take a look at their site you'll find several models that are suitable for backpacking, just make look at the ones with aluminum poles listed in the specs (fiberglass poles are heavier and more fragile).

I have hundreds A.T. miles on my old Eureka it was a true two man (had as much floor space as some of the supposed 3 man UL tents that are popular today) weighed about 5.5lbs which is less than 3lb a person, and cost me about $100 on sale. I finally upgraded to a tarptent a couple years ago, but the Eureka still works great and goes car camping with me.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

An inexpensive but good quality 3-person tent is going to weight about 6lbs and cost around $150 (clearance price) to $250 (full retail).

If you want good quality but with less weight, you'll have to move up to something like the REI Quarter Dome 3. The weight drops to about 4-1/2lbs, but the full retail cost rises to $400.

If you want good quality and very light weight, you'll have to move up to something like the Copper Spur UL 3. The weight drops below 4lbs, but the full retail cost is $500.

If you want good quality, and less weight for the money than these options, you could look into www.tarptent.com. These have a little bit bigger learning curve in trying to setup compared to a free standing tent, and many require you use treking poles that basically take the place of tent poles. But you can get a 3-person tarp tent that weights a little over 3lbs for less than $400. If you are simply looking for a roomy 2-person tent, you can get a Tarp Tent that weights less than 3lbs for $350. Over the years, there have been many thru hikers that have used TarpTents for their thru hike. I've never used one myself... but I've considered it as I contemplate taking one of my kids on a JMT hike some day in the future... (I did the JMT solo last year and LOVED my Copper Spur UL2... but then the only reason I got it was because I lucked into a killer clearance deal).

Here. Best frigging 3p tent for under $250. Mine has over 250 AT miles on it and going strong. That's with a 40# dog and/or another person at all times.

The only issue is you must be uber cautious zipping the fly in any wind over 5mph. But, that's true with almost all front-door tents.

Buy it. You won't regret it.

https://www.steepandcheap.com/big-ag...SABEgKFf_D_BwE

I have a Cooper Spur UL3 for sale on this site. Great for two people, light weight: may be a little pricey though.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

While I didn't get my Copper Spur at Steep And Cheap... the Fly Creek is in the same class as the Copper Spur. The difference is that the Fly Creek is a 'front' entry tent with only one vestibule compared to the 'side' entry with two vestibules of the Copper Spur. But the result is that the Fly Creek is lighter.

While my personal preference is for a side-entry tent, I could definitely see myself buying the Fly Creek UL3 for two people at that incredible price if I needed it right now.

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    Here. Best frigging 3p tent for under $250. Mine has over 250 AT miles on it and going strong. That's with a 40# dog and/or another person at all times.

The only issue is you must be uber cautious zipping the fly in any wind over 5mph. But, that's true with almost all front-door tents.

Buy it. You won't regret it.

https://www.steepandcheap.com/big-ag...SABEgKFf_D_BwE
    +1, bought a UL2 for my daughter

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    While I didn't get my Copper Spur at Steep And Cheap... the Fly Creek is in the same class as the Copper Spur. The difference is that the Fly Creek is a 'front' entry tent with only one vestibule compared to the 'side' entry with two vestibules of the Copper Spur. But the result is that the Fly Creek is lighter.

While my personal preference is for a side-entry tent, I could definitely see myself buying the Fly Creek UL3 for two people at that incredible price if I needed it right now.
    +2 own CS UL1, UL3 & UL4, BA is a great supplier

I'll never understand the attraction for BA tents.
    Obviously they work for many of Y'all.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Wayne

Such is life, I have never understood the attraction for miserable heat, humidity, bugs, snakes, and mud bogs. I do like rednecks, however.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Wayne

I'm 100% with you on that.

The ones I tried were (solely in my opinion) cramped, seemed poorly designed (the front entry one), overstated the useable space, used excessively thin material even compared to other UL manufacturers, were significantly overpriced for a chinese made tent, and were disingenuously advertised as "designed" in the US, which has caused a number of people to wrongly assume they were manufactured here as well (I've had owners argue this with me a number of times, despite it saying made in China on the box.)

Clearly a lot of backpackers love their BA tents, so there must be something to them, but I just don't see the appeal given the other UL options on the market.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

OK.. know this stuff can get personal... I've been humpin the AT for 10+ years and have used several different tents. The fact is they all will work... make'em work, right. Most 2P tents will fit my 6'1; 215 frame and with all my gear...that's it, no more room. It's all cool... go to sleep but I gotta be honest and tell you as you mature it sure is nice to have ROOOOOM... without the weight. Tough one. I don't get nothing for saying this but I'd check out the Teepee style tents at MyTrailCo.com (old Golite). I have the old Inogene and love it! But better yet, my buddy and I decided to purchase their Pyramid 4 a couple of years ago and have put many many AT miles on it! It has...get this.... 84sqft... it's huge! I can almost stand up in it and for the two of us plus our gear... it's a dream...... 3lbs a piece and the comfort is worth it! I won't go back inside those coffins tents anymore... good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I'm 100% with you on that.

The ones I tried were (solely in my opinion) cramped, seemed poorly designed (the front entry one), overstated the useable space, used excessively thin material even compared to other UL manufacturers, were significantly overpriced for a chinese made tent, and were disingenuously advertised as "designed" in the US, which has caused a number of people to wrongly assume they were manufactured here as well (I've had owners argue this with me a number of times, despite it saying made in China on the box.)

Clearly a lot of backpackers love their BA tents, so there must be something to them, but I just don't see the appeal given the other UL options on the market.
    So, I kinda maybe sorta agree with you when it comes to 1P and 2P tents. However, when it comes to sub-4# 3P tents, there aren't too many viable options at a reasonable price. When it comes to sub-3.5# 3P tents under $400, not much, if anything, competes with BA Fly Creek IMHO. Absolutely freaking nothing comes close to the weight/dollar ratio at $250. Would I like two side doors and two vestibules? Sure! Would I like to carry another pound of weight to get that? Nope! Pay another $100 to get that? No way!

With all that being said...after coming into a little extra discretionary hiking gear spending money...my Nemo Hornet 2P(new, never used) is going back to REI and the difference is going to be put toward...

Zpacks Triplex .67 camo.....

Comes in lighter than the Nemo and is a 3P not a 2P. Two side doors. Two vestibules. Uses my hiking poles...

Still keeping the FlyCreek for my kids/guests...great tent...

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    and were disingenuously advertised as "designed" in the US, which has caused a number of people to wrongly assume they were manufactured here as well (I've had owners argue this with me a number of times, despite it saying made in China on the box.)
    Apple, Inc., says hello. Seriously, that's rather a common marketing tactic - and it makes sense from a business perspective too ... there's greater returns to be made in design than manufacturing.

But I agree with you. I checked out a friend's Fly Creek UL2 this weekend, which was supposed to close to mine in size; it felt much smaller, as the inner seemed to hang down surprisingly low on the sides and in the tapered back. OTOH, it was seriously light.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan View Post
    Need many more specifics, such as on limits on price, weight, frontcountry vs. backcountry use, and why not a 2P tent (such as around 35-40 sq ft).
    Also, if by "not looking for the zpacks answer" you're also ruling out other trekking-pole-supported tents, why (other than price)? You don't have to split a tent into fly and inner in order to split the weight and volume in 2 backpacks. One person can take the entire tent, while the other can take something(s) else to balance that off.
    This will be used on the AT doing overnights and maybe a 2-3 day trip from time to time. My limits on price I am still unsure, I don't want to spend another $600 yet until I know for sure she will be doing this more often. In that case I will buy the Zpacks. I love my duplex so why not. And I don't want to try to fit into a 2p tent with gear, I like having the space for a pack explosion in my tent if need be. Will be looking at all the options listed here today.

Tarptent

thom

Journal Entries

If you arent worried about weight, cause youll split it

And want to keep the gf happy on a few low mile trips

Maybe something that fills a gear niche you dont have....not just bigger.....winter capable...storm capable...4 season. Something that starts with Hilleberg or such
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-03-2017 at 06:59.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    If you arent worried about weight, cause youll split it

And want to keep the gf happy on a few low mile trips

Maybe something that fills a gear niche you dont have....not just bigger.....winter capable...storm capable...4 season. Something that starts with Hilleberg or such
    Kaitum 2. Room for multiple pack explosions.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

Another +1 for the BA Copper spur UL3. My wife and I have used ours for several years now including a 650 mile AT section. The tent performs extremely well. Roomy for 2 with gear (and I am a big guy at 6’4 220lbs.), and kept us dry during some serious rain storms. The double vestibules and entrances are also a big plus for this tent.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++