WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jjozgrunt View Post
    Talk about a 1st world problem, colours of tents? Blend in or stand out it won't affect my enjoyment.
    This^^^^^^^^^

Journal Entries

Another thing to be aware of is bright colors are sometimes hard to get to sleep in if the sun it up or other bright enough light source. I had a orange tent and found out the hard way, it went back.

Photo below is the camo LHG Solo, which I assume is the same material used for the others. I got it for those times I want to be stealthy. I used it once this summer just to see the effect and damn if it doesn't just disappear a few feet into the woods! Gonna take a Sharpie to the logo, however, and put some black guy lines on it.

I have friends who use a camo Duplex and it is slighty lighter than LHG and, when it is new, pretty shiny, but that diminishes as the tent is used and gets crinkled up from use and packing.

LHG solo
    lightheart solo_01.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Suzzz View Post
    My point exactly. It was after reading about her story that I decided to get a highly visible tent.
    OK, I'm lost..... don't know the story of inch worm..... can you fill me in?

Quote Originally Posted by somers515 View Post
    Interesting discussion, I especially like blw2's point.

I'll chime in and this is purely my personal opinion but I would find a camo tent more "jarring" then a plain olive-colored or brown/rock colored tent. Also I think I might assume the person in a camo tent is more likely to be a hunter then a hiker. Again just my 2 cents.
    Yeah, that's kindof why I have never really be 'into' the idea of camo. Although I haven't in many years I grew up hunting and am certainly not opposed to it in any way....camo is just not something I'd wear....so not a tent color I would naturally prefer. I'd rather have just a nice muted color..... but this idea of be no trace got me to thinking....

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    CAVU is short for "Ceiling And Visibility Unlimited".

i've never heard the issue of offensive tent colors come up until this thread, so my guess is that it is a non-issue to the majority of hikers.
    i'll stand corrected. I think I've seen it both ways, and maybe even with one other twist. It was maybe 25 years ago that I got my instrument rating and many years since I have actively flown, so I'll admit to being fuzzy on the true book definition. Regardless, same idea....

And yes, I no doubt this isn't a big important issue..... but what is when being discussed around the campfire?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    OK, I'm lost..... don't know the story of inch worm..... can you fill me in?
    In 2013 Geraldine Largay (trailname Inchworm) stepped off the trail in Maine to dig a cathole. Got confused about which way to go to return to the trail, wandered the wrong way, got seriously lost, set up camp, and waited to be found. Massive search operation was unsuccessful. Her remains were found by accident in 2015. With the tree canopy a bright tent might not have made a difference for her, but it might make a difference for someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I was backpacking the Benton MacKaye trail a couple years ago and saw this sight and now wonder if the sheer brightness would offend some people??

There was a whole field of such flowers, aghast.

ah, no...well that's kind of a different thing aint it, to what I was getting at? Kindof an apples to oranges comparison there....

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    Another thing to be aware of is bright colors are sometimes hard to get to sleep in if the sun it up or other bright enough light source. I had a orange tent and found out the hard way, it went back.
    great point. That reminds me of my old Kelty tent. To downeaster's point, it was a bright blue nylon... I got what I got with the color based on the model.... I remember that being hard on the eyes when in it during daylight.
    Similarly, I can't stand being under one of those cheap blue tarps in the bright sun..... very upsetting to the soul for some reason....

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Photo below is the camo LHG Solo, which I assume is the same material used for the others. I got it for those times I want to be stealthy. I used it once this summer just to see the effect and damn if it doesn't just disappear a few feet into the woods! Gonna take a Sharpie to the logo, however, and put some black guy lines on it.
    I have friends who use a camo Duplex and it is slighty lighter than LHG and, when it is new, pretty shiny, but that diminishes as the tent is used and gets crinkled up from use and packing.

LHG solo
    lightheart solo_01.jpg
    ha ha, doesn't blend into that snow though, eh?
    One counter thought I have been having is regarding heat. Down here in the south it might prove to be rather hot during the summer. Only a minor concern though since I don't tent camp during the summer, and have no pressing plans to do much in the future. I would be in the mountains for any summer tent camping, where the nights are cooler....

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Minimizing visual impact is certainly a polite thing to do if you're out in exposed country and people are going to see your site a long way off.

What I do in practice:

At my usual sort of campsite, I wouldn't be seen from the trail even if everything were blaze orange. This is a typical setup at an established site:

and a stealth site might be more like this. (Yes, it rained the night before, and the silnylon stretched like nobody's business.)

So, I have a tent that's a neutral color to blend in, but don't much care most of the time because there's nobody around to see it. Similarly, my pack, jacket and pants are dull green, again pretty neutral - add an orange vest and pack cover in hunting season. (The blue pack in the picture is mostly retired now.) In hunting season, I usually hang the orange stuff over the poles, so that in case there's a hunter around before I'm awake, I'll maybe be a little more visible.

I generally make sure I have at least one piece of gear with me that's brightly colored so that I can be visible when I need to. That might be just an orange T-shirt in warm weather.

But this is getting into 'advanced' LNT - I think that "wear neutral colors so you won't spoil the view" is a bit over the top to present to newbies.

(And don't get me started about rubber tips on trekking poles. Whoever came up with the idea that all those scratches in the rock were left by poles hasn't hiked in the winter very much. I'd change the 'use rubber tips on your poles' to 'don't dry-tool unnecessarily' and 'don't drive snowmobiles on foot-only paths.')
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Buying camouflage items and bright orange items is a bit of an oxymoron. Sorta like trying to be inconspicuous and conspicuous at the same time.

Deer don't see the color orange...hence.

Now go duck hunting with orange on, you better stop by the super market on the way home.

Hence... deer hunters should wear bright orange camouflage to complete the irony

My gear is usually based on what was on special at the time in my size. Hence orange and red t-shirts, bacon gaiters, green pants, light blue jumper, yellow/pink/purple/red buff, shoes with fluro yellow highlights. I should get a odd coloured hat and change my name to Color Palate or something similar.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

A man has no campsite.

Quote Originally Posted by TTT View Post
    Hence... deer hunters should wear bright orange camouflage to complete the irony
    They make bright orange camouflage, and deer hunters often use it. It helps to conceal them from deer (the dark parts of the orange camo break up their outline), but can be easily seen by other hunters.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TTT View Post
    Buying camouflage items and bright orange items is a bit of an oxymoron. Sorta like trying to be inconspicuous and conspicuous at the same time.
    When I want to be seen, I want to be seen.
    When I want to blend in the landscape, I want to blend in the landscape.
    So I have a dull green pack and a blaze orange pack cover, a dull grey fleece and a blaze orange vest. I get to pick and choose.
    Sometimes I'm wearing the fleece and vest at the same time, because I want to be seen on a chilly day.
    Where's the irony?
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

If the definition is unfamiliar, irony implies a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often wryly amusing as a result. i.e, wearing camouflage to blend in, and at the same time wearing bright orange to stand out.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++