WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default The Georgia shuttle service you might want to avoid

I just got done contacting 3 different shuttle services in the north Georgia area for a pickup on a upcoming section hike that I'm doing with my boys. My first call was to Tom at the Appalachian Adventure Company. Well he was polite, at first, but he was not able to pick us up at the time that I needed on that day. Tom gave me the price and he stated that he could be there a hour later but due to the long drive that I have I had already include a little buffer time for delays. I didn't want to add another 1 hour to that. I polity told him thanks and that I will get back with him if I decide to go with him. That's when he got bold and unprofessional. He told me that he was really busy and if I was looking for the cheapest ride then he was not it and if I didn't need him (that meant tell him yes right then) then I didn't need to call him back. Needless to say I would never do business with someone like that. I was so taken back that all I told him was no problem and I didn't need his services. All I did was ask him for the available shuttle and price. If he can't get me at the time that I want, of course I'm going to call someone else. I have had several shuttle trips with other companies in different areas along the AT in the past with no problems at all. I will never do business with Tom from Appalachian Adventure Company. Just wanted you to know of my experience with this guy.

I dealt with one knucklehead shuttle driver in Georgia once but can’t recall his name. He was not too professional. Ron Brown and Donald Ballard are the real pros, you should try them. Keep in mind that these guys are indeed busy, covering a lot of territory, hikers that don’t always show up at the right time and place, etc., and other things that don’t always line up to meet exact times for people. An hour wait is not unreasonable at all.

I don't know Tom or Appalachian Adventure Co but I observe nowhere I would have been offended. Actually, I prefer straight talking biz answers. That was what you experienced.

Yes, I did call Don and he was able to schedule me in. I totally understand that 1 hour is still reasonable time to wait but still I am going to call around to see if there is someone else that can make that time.

[QUOTE=Dogwood;2172158]I don't know Tom or Appalachian Adventure Co but I observe nowhere I would have been offended. Actually, I prefer straight talking biz answers. That was what you experienced.[/QUOTE

I'm ok with a straight talker but a cocky don't call me back and a asumtion that I'm just looking for the cheapest ride (when all that i ask was for the price) is something that is not ok with me. I asked Don the same thing and I got nothing like Tom's response. I'm glad that my 2nd call referred me to my 3rd call to Don Ballard.

*assumption (my bad :-)

People that shuttle get a ton of calls from people that call everyone possible looking for the cheapest possible ride. And some people that really haven't nailed their plans down and call multiple times.

His response was not appropriate or needed, and he just have just ended the call before it got to that!

"Tom gave me the price and he stated that he could be there a hour later but due to the long drive that I have I had already include a little buffer time for delays....That's when he got bold and unprofessional. He told me that he was really busy and if I was looking for the cheapest ride then he was not it and if I didn't need him (that meant tell him yes right then) then I didn't need to call him back."

I wasn't there so don't know the attitude that came across by Tom but I like it when I'm told this. It cuts through the chase. It may seem bold compared to the opinion that the customer is always right but I don't recognize it as unprofessional. It allows not only the potential customer to get things clear but helps the seller of services know where the potential customer's mindset is. As one who has been on both sides of this it makes me aware as a biz owner that not all potential clients are a good fit for my businesses. Why waste time as a busy business owner? have you thought of it from the biz owner's mindset? I've heard more comments like the one given to you by Tom particularly surrounding services and goods offered to the AT community than I can recall certainly among those offering shuttle services. What might that tell you? Could it be there are some tendencies like shuttle drivers being left high and dry depleting their resources.

Journal Entries

Complaining about a phone call, seriously?

Was he rude? Criticize you? Disrespectful? Sounds like he was honest and direct. Maybe curt.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 09-30-2017 at 18:01.

Did you say "Sorry, but I really can't wait an extra hour. Let me try someone else to see if I can get a better match. If not, I'll get back to you" ?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Did you say "Sorry, but I really can't wait an extra hour. Let me try someone else to see if I can get a better match. If not, I'll get back to you" ?
    No, I said ok thanks I'll let you know. I figured it was understood when I asked if I could be picked up at one time and he said no but I can try to get you a hour later. Ok thanks, I'll let you know is all I stated.
    I'm really just putting this out there because I would want to know if someone that I was looking to use was like this. There are to many great guys/gals out there to put up with stuff like this.

Quote Originally Posted by biker5500 View Post
    No, I said ok thanks I'll let you know. I figured it was understood when I asked if I could be picked up at one time and he said no but I can try to get you a hour later. Ok thanks, I'll let you know is all I stated.
    I'm really just putting this out there because I would want to know if someone that I was looking to use was like this. There are to many great guys/gals out there to put up with stuff like this.
    Again, didn't personally experience what you did but put yourself in the shuttler's position. Basically, you as a potential customer put him, a local small time shuttle service, in limbo. This is not Wally World. Most of these trail shuttle drivers offer their services not on a FT job basis and aren't making a financial killing(I know quite a few in the AT community while knowing something about their shuttle income) yet are conducting FT personal lives where their personal lives need scheduling. You're asking this person Tom to put all things on hold or somehow accommodate you personally awaiting your supposed call back and because he was direct with you you fell he was unprofessional?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Again, didn't personally experience what you did but put yourself in the shuttler's position. Basically, you as a potential customer put him, a local small time shuttle service, in limbo.
    That isn't in limbo. No booking, no guaranteed ride.
    The situation described comes up often. If I shop around and then the service I decide on is then gone, that's no problem for me

But all this discussion about a phone conversation that was not that crazy of behaviour seems a bit unnecessary. If I posted about every hiking-related vendor who sounded like they had some attitude, it would fill the forum. The place for this type of comment is more on google review or facebook review (just my opinion)

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Again, didn't personally experience what you did but put yourself in the shuttler's position. Basically, you as a potential customer put him, a local small time shuttle service, in limbo. This is not Wally World. Most of these trail shuttle drivers offer their services not on a FT job basis and aren't making a financial killing(I know quite a few in the AT community while knowing something about their shuttle income) yet are conducting FT personal lives where their personal lives need scheduling. You're asking this person Tom to put all things on hold or somehow accommodate you personally awaiting your supposed call back and because he was direct with you you fell he was unprofessional?
    There was no mention of a request to hold the reservation. The driver was just trying to close the deal on the spot as he likely knows that if the customer calls around someone else is getting the business. Most likely not a people person.

++ New Posts ++