WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Blister protection

Since everyone here has MUCH more experience than me, I figured this would be the best place for advice. Trying to make it to 10+ miles/day but my feet
    are starting to limit that goal. I get to mile 7-8 and I notice heat /pain starting on the heads of the metatarsals and the bottom of the heal. Is moleskin the
    way to go or just plain tape over those spots. And what about using 2 pairs of hiking socks/feet. I only use one, would 2 be better? I have really good
    hiking boots that are broken in with a wide toebox so my shoes aren't the problem. Any other secrets that I haven't mentioned?

Journal Entries

Your shoes are definitely the problem.

Blisters occur at low miles.....because there is problem

Are you overweight?
    What is pack wt?
    What shoes you use? How old/worn? Etc
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 09-30-2017 at 01:24.

Heat usually means excess friction against your skin. Sometimes your socks are the cause, often because they're either worn or too loose and the material rucks up. Sometimes your shoes don't fit you well. With metatarsal pain your shoes might be wide enough, but still not have enough volume (height) for the wide part of your feet. With heel friction usually the back of your shoe isn't gripping firmly enough.

You might be able to compensate for shoe fit by varying your lacing pattern, allowing for more room at the front of the foot, then a locking wrap in the laces, and tighter lacing thereafter to keep the heel in place.

You say pain/heat. Could be internal. I had to use metatarsal pads (available at good running shoe stores) to relieve the pressure on my metatarsal pads.

Gel inserts to relieve the pressure on my whole foot including the heel. Pain could be a tendon issue.

Toe socks help me as a liner pair.

Eventually my footwear develops craters where my forefoot rides, lifting my toes, causing more trouble/ blisters. Worn in boots may be worn out boots.

You need to try doing stuff. The answer may well be here somewhere on this page. We are all different and have different feet. To pop that blister of not, that is the question? It took me a few years to figure out the right shoe, sock, moleskin, band-aid. So, my advice is to try a bunch of the things that others have posted here.

First, I'm not entirely sure what you're describing is blisters. Second, be wary of people who always get blisters... giving you advice on how to prevent blisters.

I rarely get little blisters, and never get large blisters. I spend a lot of time on preparing my feet. Before hiking, I'd put a bit of body glide on potential problem areas if the trail was likely to be wet. I'd stop for an hour every day for lunch and air out my feet, change to dry socks. An alcohol pad, will keep everything clean and toughen up the skin. Stop immediately at the first feel of a hot spot, clean the spot with alcohol, put on a bit of Leukotape, change socks again. On dry days, I safety-pinned my spare socks to the back of my pack, so they'd be dry and available.

Never lance blisters, no matter how smart the following people might sound who advise you to lance them. They've already failed to prevent large blisters, so why would you trust them on blister care.

If you keep getting blisters, it's the shoes and sock combination. I personally hated sock liners, they just made things slippier causing more friction and heat, other people swear by them. It's probably the shoe/sock combination thing.
    Last edited by Puddlefish; 09-30-2017 at 10:46.

If you put moleskin on the heals of your feet, it won't stay there long and will be more trouble then without. You probably just have to go out and walk more are part of your daily life. Most people don't walk much these days and when they do, it's just to the fridge and back to the couch. Then you put on a pack and go hiking for a few days and wonder why your feet hurt.

BTW, why is this is the GSMNP forum?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    If you put moleskin on the heals of your feet, it won't stay there long and will be more trouble then without. You probably just have to go out and walk more are part of your daily life. Most people don't walk much these days and when they do, it's just to the fridge and back to the couch. Then you put on a pack and go hiking for a few days and wonder why your feet hurt.

BTW, why is this is the GSMNP forum?
    When i had raw heels from hiking with mud in socks once, i put duct tape on them. Had to pull it off several days later

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    First, I'm not entirely sure what you're describing is blisters. Second, be wary of people who always get blisters... giving you advice on how to prevent blisters.

I rarely get little blisters, and never get large blisters. I spend a lot of time on preparing my feet. Before hiking, I'd put a bit of body glide on potential problem areas if the trail was likely to be wet. I'd stop for an hour every day for lunch and air out my feet, change to dry socks. An alcohol pad, will keep everything clean and toughen up the skin. Stop immediately at the first feel of a hot spot, clean the spot with alcohol, put on a bit of Leukotape, change socks again. On dry days, I safety-pinned my spare socks to the back of my pack, so they'd be dry and available.

Never lance blisters, no matter how smart the following people might sound who advise you to lance them. They've already failed to prevent large blisters, so why would you trust them on blister care.

If you keep getting blisters, it's the shoes and sock combination. I personally hated sock liners, they just made things slippier causing more friction and heat, other people swear by them. It's probably the shoe/sock combination thing.
    Like the post.

Try anti friction slave, cream, powder, etc on the heel.

If the heel area of the shoe is too tight or too loose - doesn't cup the heel, or if you're primarily landing on your hells, or some combination of these factors heels can experience what you're describing.

Have you tried a more cushioned sock in the heel without the sock bunching up or contributing to any of the above?

I'm going with the kind of shoes and socks you are wearing...you say they are not the problem but obviously they are as that is the only way you get blisters.

The only time I have ever gotten a hot spot was because of heal slippage...the same shoes also caused an Achilles tendon issue too. Look into trail runners...they may just solve your problem. In hundreds of miles of backpacking with the right shoes I have never once had a blister.

Various heel wraps, typically used by those diagnosed with plantar fasciitis by medical professionals, may help. Again, make sure your hiking shoes allow for the added volume.

If you're new to backpacking/hiking it simply may take time to toughen up your feet in the heel area. On several TC thru hikes before my feet were trail toughened I would get large nasty painful heel blisters. At that time I would wrap my entire heel. Later, I learned to pay greater heed to hiking shoe choices that matched my feet characteristics, use after market foot beds/orthotics that provided a snug heel cup and support to other feet traits, made better sock choices that cushioned and wicked away moisture, corrected a small foot plant issue(no longer land on my heels), and always carry if not use an antifriction powder. I'll also carry a separate foot product that addresses maceration should I anticipate a wet hike.

http://briangreen.net/2012/03/hydrop...p-results.html

This is one of the anti friction products I use successfully.

Images

^^Lots of good advice by Puddlefish.

I'd recommend the following good reads written by experts who have dealt with the worst.
    "Fixing your feet" by Vonhoff and his website
    "Blister Prevention" website Rebecca Rushton

Journal Entries

Quit looking for quick fixes to make current shoe/sock thing work.

Start at source.

Yeah it costs $.
    So do ruined trips.

It possible to hike thousands of miles, never have a worry about a blister, without applying juju to your feet, or any other fixes you read of.

Thin tight weave socks
    Good fit light breatheable shoes
    Decent pack wt
    And body wt.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 09-30-2017 at 18:29.

Thanks all. Good advice. To be more precise, by bottom of the metatarsals I mean the ball of my feet, nothing internal. I did try some moleskin all across and that helped.
    Like everything else you have to try different things and see what works best for you. Another question, does anyone use tape/moleskin on their feet BEFORE starting the hike or do you
    just wait until you start feeling discomfort.

Quote Originally Posted by red4512 View Post
    does anyone use tape/moleskin on their feet BEFORE starting the hike or do you just wait until you start feeling discomfort.
    Yes. My wife is prone to foot issues, and over the years has tried everything. What works best for her is putting Liquid Bandage on trouble spots before putting her socks on.

I've been breaking in a new pair of boots by walking in the evenings, and got blisters the first time I used them. If course, I was being lazy and just wore the cotton socks i had on at work all day, so I blame myself. Since I had created the tender spots on my feet already, the next day I pre-treated them with keukotape, and wore better socks.

It occurred to me though, that it might be a good idea to keep using the tape during the break in period, so I have been doing that. I like the tape so much, that I had planned on pre-treating during my next hike.

++ New Posts ++