I've hiked a couple of sections on the AT using a tent. This summer, I hiked the NPT in the Adirondacks. I bought a cheap Wal-Mart hammock (no mosquito net, no rain tarp, to quilt liner - just the basic hammock and straps) and threw it in my pack. Figured I'd give it a try and if I didn't like it, I wouldn't be out much money. I LOVED IT! I wore my mosquito head net and net shirt a couple nights when the bugs were annoying. When it rained, I just draped my rain poncho over myself. I woke up wet, but still slept like a baby. One night, it looked like rain, so I set up tent. Within an hour of tossing and turning, I went out in my hammock in the rain and slept great. I did need to use my sleeping pad to keep warm in the hammock. But I was able to roll back and forth or sleep on my back and I loved being out in the open air.

So, I think it's pretty clear that I'm a hammock girl. Here's my question. Either 2018 or 2019 I plan on thru-hiking the AT. Is the majority of the AT hammock friendly? Enough trees? And in the spots that a hammock won't work, what then? Should I research tent hammock hybrids? Or what do the people with regular hammocks do when there aren't trees around?

Sorry if my questions are a little goofy - just want to make sure I get as much info as I can!