WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default Experiences with waterproof sox

Hello AT'ers,

I've been mulling this idea over for a while and decided ask ya'll for advice/experiences using waterproof socks while hiking the AT. Even thought about plastic bags over hiking socks to keep feet relatively warm, and possible dry.
    What is the best, preferred way of keeping the toes happy- especially thru wet grass, shallow creeks, mud puddles,etc.?

Images

I've used sealskins a few times in wet areas. If you wear smartwool or other socks they will be too thick to effect a good closed seal to keep water out. Perhaps no socks or liner socks under sealskins would work ok. Once water gets in it stays in. I've used them in Florida and in snow on the PCT. On the AT in winter they may be good. Overall I would not bother with them but others I know used them in the UK for constant rain.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

No such thing for hiking. Now if you put your foot with a sock and a plastic bag then your shoe and you went out in your back yard and jumped is some puddles for a while, it would work for keeping your socks dry if you made it tight enough. Hiking? Another thing would happen. Within 30 minutes your socks will be wet even if it's dry outside. 2 or 3 hours of this and you will be hating life even in a driving snow storm. Your dogs need to ventilation. You might see a hunter sitting in a tree stand with rubber boots in a rain storm all day and be somewhat comfortable. He ain't hiking. The grim reality on the trail is that you will get your feet wet if it's raining or the trail has water in it. Even high priced water resistant boots will fail by the end of the day while hiking. Socks? Forget it, the best you can do is to get shoes and socks that can dry out. I have never seen soaked through boots or socks that will dry out overnight in a shelter.

http://www.eathomas.com/2017/05/03/t...y-in-the-snow/

I like a similar system to keep feet drier and warmer for longer in temps of about 65* and under. I amend the size of my low cut trail runner to one size larger to compensate for the extra volume needed further amending with various volume foot beds or orthotics and different wt WP socks and/or merino socks as needed going forward.

Images

When I was a kid my mom would send us out to play in slushy snow with the plastic bags our Wonderbread came in over our socks. I guess it helped for a little while Those were the days...

Now as an adult, well for winter fun and snow shoveling I have some boots that do a better job keeping my feet dry. The other three seasons in my trail shoes I just expect my feet to get wet sometimes.
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

WP Seal Skinz or Hanz socks have plenty enough solid seal in their crew height version to keep out water and snow in shallow depth pow, hiking through nominal height slush, grass, and shallow AT ankle depth type fords. When a merino sock is used under the WP sock I find it pays to use a slightly shorter base layer sock so not to affect the seal. I don't normally use a merino sock with a WP sock as Liz has but under the coldest conditions as I'd rather a single WP sock layer but switching to a more insulated version. The new pricey WP Seal Skinz are very nice WP socks.

I hear it thrown around often particularly on sites like WB that a non WP shoe always dries so much faster than a non WP shoe. Not so! For example, on side by side testing I've found the thin synthetic materials of a low cut or mid cut trail runner like the WP Altra Neo Shell with a decently non water absorbing foot bed don't absorb that much water compared to a non WP low cut/mid cut trail runner made of untreated suede, nubuck, or thick leather. I've seen over and over in side by side testing a supposedly long to dry low cut WP shoe dry faster than a different model low cut non WP trail runner. Materials, designs, foot area layering approaches, and individual ability in drying shoes makes a big difference in how much water is absorbed by hiking shoes and their ability to dry.

Different approaches though that work for different people in different situations.

Journal Entries

Dogwood,
    What are referring to- " decently non water absorbing foot bed" don't absorb that much water. Are you referring again to the waterproof sock or is there a shoe insert that is waterproof?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    No such thing for hiking. Now if you put your foot with a sock and a plastic bag then your shoe and you went out in your back yard and jumped is some puddles for a while, it would work for keeping your socks dry if you made it tight enough. Hiking? Another thing would happen. Within 30 minutes your socks will be wet even if it's dry outside. 2 or 3 hours of this and you will be hating life even in a driving snow storm. Your dogs need to ventilation. You might see a hunter sitting in a tree stand with rubber boots in a rain storm all day and be somewhat comfortable. He ain't hiking. The grim reality on the trail is that you will get your feet wet if it's raining or the trail has water in it. Even high priced water resistant boots will fail by the end of the day while hiking. Socks? Forget it, the best you can do is to get shoes and socks that can dry out. I have never seen soaked through boots or socks that will dry out overnight in a shelter.
    Thanks Moldy, this is what I was taught originally about wet feet and waterproofing-just gonna get wet from perspiration anyway.

Some foot beds are made of materials like a polystyrene, other hardened plastics, carbon, CCF, etc with possibly a very thin not highly absorbent synthetic fabric layer while other foot beds are IMO highly water absorbent. I classify SOLE and SUPERFEET foot beds as decently non absorbent. These are after market foot beds/orthotics. Removing them, should they get wet once in camp, helps a shoe no matter if it's WP or non WP to dry faster. Many threads here on WB discussing how to speed shoe dry times.

The addition of a shortie gaiter particularly in a WP material like NeoStretch or eVent or even a highly water resistant shortie gaiter like made from Schoeller or Durastretch can help keep feet dry. If wearing pants under the system layering the gaiters under the pants can keep/minimize water from entering shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by kibs View Post
    Thanks Moldy, this is what I was taught originally about wet feet and waterproofing-just gonna get wet from perspiration anyway.
    Not everyone's feet perspire equally. We're not talking about all times under all conditions either. I'm largely referring to cooler weather times like on the AT during March-April or during typical SOBO Northern Terminus CDT start times. In the end no matter the type of system on one's feet it's a worthwhile goal to wick away moisture from feet. That can be done. Combining these techniques with addressing wet feet proactively and in hindsight as Andrew Skurka has detailed is what has worked for myself in these conditions. https://andrewskurka.com/2017/backpa...on-conditions/

https://andrewskurka.com/2012/minimi...h-of-wet-feet/

https://andrewskurka.com/2016/waterp...plete-failure/

Keeping foot beds/orthotics, socks, gaiters, and shoes cleaned and hand dried of major gunk and moisture help to keep from absorbing excess moisture and wt while assisting to dry quicker should they get wet. I personally find the WP sock brands and versions I regularly employ to not hold a tremendous amount of moisture including perspiration. Actually they have a wicking inside layer, are WP, yet have some breathability. One of the traits I seek in cold and wet weather footwear is construction materials and techniques that tend to not hold moisture. Not all shoes are created equally.

The thread title drew my attention, but apparently my eyes need checking. Have to say I'm a bit disappointed though.

Journal Entries

Just like rain gear you're not going to keep your feet dry you want to keep them warm.

Sweat is a lot warmer than 32 degrees snow melt.

Goretex socks are a winter-ish item for me. Snowmelt and wet shoes in july aint a big deal out west. Its when temp is 35F out my tootsies go numb.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-02-2017 at 14:15.

-

I have used seal skin socks, but only in slush conditions are they any help, in colder snow wool is better

- when you remove the seal skin the feet are wet and pruney, but warm to the point they will steam

- for wet conditions above freezing, my strategy is mesh runners that will at least dry quickly when the wet conditions are over

Journal Entries

This is heresy, but I'll say it anyway. I love my waterproof shoes. Walking through wet grass? Shallow creek? Little bit of mud? No problem.

Yes, if you're hiking hard, your feet will sweat. Yes, you need to air them out now and then. I still love my waterproof shoes.

I started reading this thread after seeing the topic. Had to go back and read the topic again with glasses on because I couldn't see how these answers related to "Experiences with waterproof sex". And here I thought I was going to learn something. Haha
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Now to answer the question, never been a fan. Walked through a snow storm going over Blood Mt this year and although shoes and socks were wet my feet were warm. It was the first time I got to give my merino/possum fur hiking socks a workout and they were great. Made in New Zealand and I'm a fan of their gear, incredibly light but the warmest I've found. I had gloves and a beanie of the same material. Not cheap, but for winter walking they rock. https://mohairpossumstore.com/produc...9920-trekking/
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

++ New Posts ++